Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP increase too soon??

tag
n777ua
Established Contributor

Re: CSP increase too soon??

After $7k then what ? $10k ? $20k? Higher CL just bc you want it isn't a good reason.  Lenders want to see a decent income and history, and "history" does not mean one week.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 31 of 59
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

You're lucky you even got approved, and its a bit much to expect a CLI already. Most of the time a CLI from Chase will be a HP. Auto CLIs are possible after a few months if you have very heavy spending and the income/scores to match. I got one after 3 months via a SP, but I think it's the exception not the norm.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 32 of 59
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

Chase rarely gives auto cli. You'd be lucky to ever get one. From what i seen here Chase gives auto cli but to users who have cards in the 500-1000 range but theres that smaller percent of users who have 5k or higher who have been able to get an auto cli with a sp.

Are you going to need that increase soon or is it more of a want?
Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 33 of 59
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Okay...first of all everybody...I'm not a her, i'm a HIM...lol. Secondly, I don't plan on doing HP's!! lol Thats why I was asking if Chase does increases through SP's. I'm in the garden, and I plan on staying here. Being in the garden, myFico ENCOURAGES SP's. Yea, I want the high CL's, BUT, its not just because of a WANT, but because it helps with UTL. I'm currently at 29% UTL, and I want to try and get below the 9% that every talks about. Yea, thats going to include paying off some debt, (which I plan to do), but I see increases happeneing everywhere, and thats what i'm trying to do. If Chase only does HP's for CLI, then by all means i'm staying where i'm at.

So, I appreciate the "tough love", but i'm not being reckless. My ultimate goal is to build the best credit profile, and have high limits. I'm just a little impatient, so i'm trying to see how I can get a head start on it. The reason why I asked if it would be too soon, is because I see people getting increases, and then request a SP again, and there they go getting bumped from 5k to 7k, then to 10k immediately after. It was just a question I was wondering if Chase did too.

Thanks for the responses though everybody.lol.

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 34 of 59
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Its the exact same as people getting the "app itch" on this site. Everybody gets the itch...well, a good chunk at least. My itch lately has just been trying to increase my limits.

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 35 of 59
pkosheta
Contributor

If you are going to get one, it will occur @ appx 6months. That is when I and another person on the forums received an auto CLI. Mine went from 5k to 15k and I have no idea why. The most I put on one month was 2k followed by 1k to get the min spend and other than that maybe 100/month was my average. It became my highest limit by 8k. High limits are wasted on the frugal.
Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 36 of 59
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

1. You need to pay attention to WHO is talking about these every hour CLIs, WHICH cards this happens with (frequently ge backed cards that serve little purpose but to artificially inflate available credit) and HOW these CLIs fit into the poster's long term plans.
2. The csp is NOT a card for carrying balances, so as long as you pay it off the day before posting, your utilization will be zero.
3. There are also fico related penalties with underutilization. So you need to look at your average monthly spend as well. If you have 5 cards with 20k limits, you will need to post a balance on one card of between 1k and 2k to maintain a single card util between 1-10% and overall util of >1%. If you are in a bucket that optimizes 5-9% util, it is impossible to maintain both individual and overall utilization. To keep overall utilization 5-9%, you will need to post a balance of 5-9k on one card.
4. With the exception of Amex, the limits on useful cards from mainstream issuers grow over YEARS. You need to look LONG TERM, not focus on the next 6-12 mos. but many of the people on this board came here during rebuilding, which was frequently needed because of impulse decisions and an inability to delay gratification. So keep that inherent bias in mind.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 37 of 59
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I received an auto CLI on my Chase Freedom from $5500 to $8000 just about a month ago.  I got the card around April of last year.  Don't know how rare they are but they can happen.

I think the concern of underutilization is a little overblown.  1% works pretty well for most people.  Even if 5-9% is ideal for a particular person, you're only talking about a few points. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 38 of 59
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Good to know! Thanks. appreciate the info!

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 39 of 59
WarJar101
Frequent Contributor

They thought you were a girl bro, lol. Sigh, if only we had a way into NFCU, a man could dream right...

Rebuilding...been out of the game for a minute. Now, after suffering I'm back with greater wisdom. Scores: Currently @ around 6 teens to 20's, across all three EQ,TU, EX
Message 40 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.