cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP or Chase United Mileage Explorer?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CSP or Chase United Mileage Explorer?

People traveling a few times a year can't justify a premium card. AmEx doesn't transfer to United so I don't know why you'd even consider it. 11k miles is not a lot, it's not even enough for a one way domestic flight.

Flights are always on sale to somewhere. Sub 600 to Europe and Asia happen all the time, so why even spend 60k miles plus taxes on an economy fare? If you fly business then maybe you could think about it.

Get a two percent cashback card and use the cash to buy the tickets you want.
Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

All great points. AA, like you mentioned, is rarely ever available here. I wish they had more of a presence here though!

Amex is in the running because of other perks/benefits. $100 airline credit that I can use on United, primary insurance, premium roadside assistance etc..

Message 12 of 28
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
People traveling a few times a year can't justify a premium card. AmEx doesn't transfer to United so I don't know why you'd even consider it. 11k miles is not a lot, it's not even enough for a one way domestic flight.

Flights are always on sale to somewhere. Sub 600 to Europe and Asia happen all the time, so why even spend 60k miles plus taxes on an economy fare? If you fly business then maybe you could think about it.

Get a two percent cashback card and use the cash to buy the tickets you want.

Agree. OP, you should stick with cash back

Message 13 of 28
Sharingan
Established Contributor

The United Mileage Explorer card has the option of a $0 AF version (silver/grey design) to preserve miles on top of the sign up bonus and United benefits in the first year. That is the route I took with my Explorer card as I don't fly United as much anymore. The CSR even encouraged using the card at least once every six months to add points and extended the expiration date during the call to downgrade, although the card also lost Visa Signature benefits as well (/shrug). There is no guarantee that the free version will be available 12 months from now though.

While the CSP may be the better card for many, none of those people are going to pay the AF for you when it comes due, and I'm not so sure it's going to be all that valuable to someone who travels "probably twice a year." Additionally, you will lose the ability to transfer points to extend the life of your United miles if you were to decide not to keep the CSP after the first year.

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never seen the $0 AF version anywhere..
Message 15 of 28
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I have one, so it definitely exists.

Edit: Doctor of Credit actually has a short article on it from January of this year which provides a few details on the card. 

Message 16 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

If all you need is to keep miles alive, download mileage plus x, buy a tiny giftcard (do they allow one dollar purchases? Otherwise 5 should definitely work), miles post to United instantly
Message 17 of 28
baller4life
Super Contributor

OP thanks for this thread. I have United Explorer and was undecided whether I should keep it or not once I get CSP.

Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

11k miles isn't a lot? It cost me 12,500 for a one way flight on AA to Los Angeles a few months ago. Sure that's not a lot but I got use out of them. You don't need to be some crazy traveler to get use out of airlines/hotel cards. I only take two trips a year, 3 if I'm lucky but my spend through my cards is enough to get a lot of free stuff. OP, you do what'd best for you.
Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ So you're saying GET the United Explorer card?
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.