Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP vs. NFCU Flagship Rewards

tag
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

CSP vs. NFCU Flagship Rewards

Which should I go for? I already have the NFCU Amex and was thinking the flagship rewards would be a good compliment to round out travel rewards... but the CSP is so nice. What do you think?

Current Open: NFCU AMEX $6,800 CL | Chase Freedom $3,800 CL | QS1 $1,300 CL | BankAmericard $24,000 CL (AU) | NFCU SSL $3,000 |
FICO 8 EXP, EQ, TU: 675-715 (depending on Utl.) | AAoA 3 Years 3 Months | AoYA 0 Months

Closed: American Honda Finance Installment $16,000 paid satisfactorily | Capital One Secured $700 paid satisfactorily | Wells Fargo credit card $3,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015) | Bank of America credit card $1,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015)
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: CSP vs. NFCU Flagship Rewards

CSP is one of the premier travel cards, Flagship rewards is not even in the same league.

Message 2 of 20
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your reply but that doesn't give much information.. can you elaborate? 3% back for travel on the flagship doesn't seem half bad for $49 year but would love to get some insight into the two.

Current Open: NFCU AMEX $6,800 CL | Chase Freedom $3,800 CL | QS1 $1,300 CL | BankAmericard $24,000 CL (AU) | NFCU SSL $3,000 |
FICO 8 EXP, EQ, TU: 675-715 (depending on Utl.) | AAoA 3 Years 3 Months | AoYA 0 Months

Closed: American Honda Finance Installment $16,000 paid satisfactorily | Capital One Secured $700 paid satisfactorily | Wells Fargo credit card $3,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015) | Bank of America credit card $1,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015)
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Flagship reward seems to be better in everyway, except the minimum redemption of $50.

Message 4 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

With CSP you pay $95 for the ability to transfer points to partners. There aren’t any real travel benefits except for things like rental auto insurance.  Combined with Freedom and CFU, points earnings can be improved, but the comparison here is one card.  

NFCU offers a flexible points redemption, cash equivalent, at a decent earning rate, so while there are not the options to transfer to partners, there is also not the nerfing of those partner values.  For the $49 AF, it would seem NFCU is better than CSP.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 20
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Both have their merits and it really comes down to what you're planning to do with the rewards.  If you'd like to transfer to airline and/or hotel partners for award redemptions, CSP is the clear winner since NFCU does not have travel partners.  If you're planning to use the points to pay for travel, it might not be so black and white.  If you're looking to get cash back, Flagship may have the edge.

Both will earn 2x points on dining, but Flagship will earn 3x on travel compared to CSP's 2x and will earn 2x on all other purchases compared to CSP's 1x.  Flagship offers the Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credit up to $100, while CSP does not.  Flagship's annual fee is half of the CSP.  Flagship's highest possible APR is a fraction of a percent higher than CSP's lowest possible APR if that matters to you.  Flagship has mobile phone coverage if that's added value for you.  If you ever wanted a balance transfer, Flagship usually has 0% APR offers every year and there is never a BT fee; depending on your approval terms, Chase BTs for 0% APR are typically a 3-5% fee.  Flagship underwriting is usually a bit more lax, and it is of course not subject to 5/24, but is subject to membership requirements.  NFCU does have minimum redemption amounts that can be annoying if you're not building up a lot of points, though.

For the most part, though, I think the biggest determination is how you plan to use your rewards.  For transfers, Chase is the clear winner.  For anything else, Flagship may have a good edge.

Message 6 of 20
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CreditSage wrote:

Thanks for your reply but that doesn't give much information.. can you elaborate? 3% back for travel on the flagship doesn't seem half bad for $49 year but would love to get some insight into the two.

Sorry for that.

When used as part of the trifecta, (CSP or CSR, Freedom,Freedom Unltd), all of these UR points can be combined and get a 1.25 or 1.5 multiple when redeemed for travel via the huge CSP travel portal. Lots of points can be accumulated in this way for use travelling all over the world.

CSP/CSR gives 1st dollar coverage on car rental, too.

Message 7 of 20
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

It bears repeating that for any applicant that is qualified, CSR may be a better option than CSP. With the increased travel and dining earnings, $300 travel credit, and Global Entry Credit, that annual fee shouldn’t have as much sticker shock. And if travel portal is how you plan to use your rewards, it has the added benefit of a 50% bonus instead of 25% bonus on your points. That extra 25% alone probably paid for my AF the past year.
Message 8 of 20
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

I'm not that well versed in the transfer schemes. I typically price shop very hard for hotels, airfaire, and rental cars which makes me think I wouldn't fare much better working with travel partners (for instance with UP points). My perspective has always been, "okay great, you get these points but then the hotel, airfare, or rental car cost more to begin so what's the gain?" Am I wrong in this thinking? The main thing that attracts me to CSP is the prestige and the fact that I've been in the garden for 14 months and probably qualify but intend to pick up a card or two and might not qualify again for a while. 

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, whats your travel plan OP? what airlines? which airports? where you wanna go? Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.