Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP vs WF Propel Amex

tag
McNugget
Regular Contributor

CSP vs WF Propel Amex

Are there any benefits of having the CSP over the WF Propel Amex?  I have the CSP right now, but the Propel seems like it would be better; maybe something to replace my CSP before the AF comes around.  

Which card do you like best and why?

| Amex BCP | BoA Cash Rewards | Cap1 QS | Cap1 SavorOne | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Citi DC | Citi Simplicity | Discover It Cash Back | JCrew | USB Cash+ | Target (AU) |
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: CSP vs WF Propel Amex

What's your CL and annual spend on the card? It doesn't take a lot of spend for the Reserve to give more value than the Preferred, at least as a long-term option.

Also, are there any UR transfer partners (United, Marriott, Hyatt, etc.) you really like to use? A cobrand card might be worth consideration.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@McNugget wrote:

Are there any benefits of having the CSP over the WF Propel Amex?  I have the CSP right now, but the Propel seems like it would be better; maybe something to replace my CSP before the AF comes around.  

Which card do you like best and why?

Well, its a visa, so acceptance is better. It has transfer partners, in case thats what you use a lot. It can also magnifying your other chase cards' reward.

Otherwise, Propel beats CSP, steps on it, and steps on it again. With a WF sig to go with propel, its 4.5% on dining, travel, gas, when redeemed for flight.

Message 3 of 8
McNugget
Regular Contributor

Does that mean you can transfer points to the WF Signature card from the Propel?
| Amex BCP | BoA Cash Rewards | Cap1 QS | Cap1 SavorOne | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Citi DC | Citi Simplicity | Discover It Cash Back | JCrew | USB Cash+ | Target (AU) |
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSP lets you downgrade to the CF/ CFU for when you want to invest into the Chase Trifecta later on and grab a CSR.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@McNugget

Yes they can combine. Each card had it's respective GFR account and you can pool between them. I do it every month...Cash Wise's cash back account into the Propel's points account(just cause that's where the SUB points are sitting right now). And with the Signature, redemption bonus when used on travel.

I went Propel instead because I'm not a big traveler so UR partners didn't really speak to me to be worth an AF. And the Propel offers 3x on gas (my ride has a LARGE tank) and also streaming. One downside is redemption levels. Can only be done in multiples of $25 online.
Message 6 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

CSP lets you downgrade to the CF/ CFU for when you want to invest into the Chase Trifecta later on and grab a CSR.

True...just keep in mind there is now a 48 month rule for Sapphire cards:

"This product is available to you if you do not have any Sapphire card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 48 months."

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

True...just keep in mind there is now a 48 month rule for Sapphire cards:

"This product is available to you if you do not have any Sapphire card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 48 months."

I believe that's referring the the sign-up spending bonus, but yes, that is a caveat to consider when downgrading a CSP.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.