cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP vs other Travel CCs (suggestions needed)

tag
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

CSP vs other Travel CCs (suggestions needed)

So after I garden for 6 months+, I'm thinking of applying for a CSP because I'm thinking flying back to the Philippines for a vacation after I get my degree (in 2 or 3 years). Then, I saw this Asiana Airlines Amex that is issued by BoA.. I fly with Asiana and It looks like an easy decision, but the reason I'm considering CSP is because I have a Chase checking account and Chase Freedom and I just feel like I'll rack up more points with CSP. Not to mention, the awesome benefits like 20% Off Travel (not sure if international flights are included). Any other suggestions??

Thanks!

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: CSP vs other Travel CCs (suggestions needed)

@enxinas wrote:

So after I garden for 6 months+, I'm thinking of applying for a CSP because I'm thinking flying back to the Philippines for a vacation after I get my degree (in 2 or 3 years). Then, I saw this Asiana Airlines Amex that is issued by BoA.. I fly with Asiana and It looks like an easy decision, but the reason I'm considering CSP is because I have a Chase checking account and Chase Freedom and I just feel like I'll rack up more points with CSP. Not to mention, the awesome benefits like 20% Off Travel (not sure if international flights are included). Any other suggestions??

Thanks!

The current Asiana Amex by BofA is inferior to their old one which offered 2 miles on everything. That one has since been discontinued.

The real power in the CSP is the ability to transfer points, so if you probably need to do some math regarding whether or not you'll get more points through the Asiana card or the Freedom/CSP combo. Unless you have huge spending in the Asiana bonus categories, I have a feeling the CSP/Freedom will come out ahead.

The other thing to check is the redemtion rates on where you want to go. With Chase you'll be using UA, BA or Korean (most likely), so you should see how many miles you'll need to get to the places you want to go. Earning points is only half of it, redeeming it is the other.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 2 of 5
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@enxinas wrote:

Thanks!

The current Asiana Amex by BofA is inferior to their old one which offered 2 miles on everything. That one has since been discontinued.

The real power in the CSP is the ability to transfer points, so if you probably need to do some math regarding whether or not you'll get more points through the Asiana card or the Freedom/CSP combo. Unless you have huge spending in the Asiana bonus categories, I have a feeling the CSP/Freedom will come out ahead.

The other thing to check is the redemtion rates on where you want to go. With Chase you'll be using UA, BA or Korean (most likely), so you should see how many miles you'll need to get to the places you want to go. Earning points is only half of it, redeeming it is the other.

Agreed. It would basically be a no brainer if you frequently max out (or come close) to the $1,500 in the quarterly 5% categories. That is mostly where all of my points come from because you cannot beat 5x points on those categories.

Message 3 of 5
enharu
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@enxinas wrote:

Thanks!

+1. Transfer your points to Korean / UA and book your ticket that way. 

To OP: More importantly though, you got to make sure that the Chase's airline partners is going to be convenient for you. Certain airlines do not land in certain cities, so if you have to transfer between other domestic flights to get to the city you want, the whole thing might just become too troublesome for what it's worth.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 5
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

Yup, the Freedom/CSP combo is the way to go. Thanks guys! I'll be doing a bunch reading hehe.

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.