CSR- I'm keeping it!

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: CSR- I'm keeping it!

@redpat wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@redpat https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/arbys-liquid-meat/

Urban legend.  However, I'll add a disappointing Arby's fact - there are none in the Boston metro area.  Closest one is about an hour drive with traffic.  Keeping the post on-topic, Arby's earns 3x with CSR.  Smiley Tongue

Not really true.  The beef is chopped into slurry with added gelatin and then formed into shape.  The slurry is a liquid form.

I once hit the Sallie Mae cap with a rib eye roast.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 31 of 34
CaptJOB
Regular Contributor

I just opened the Rakuten App and Lyft is back. Great news. Now I just hope they post my annual fee(upgraded the card in October) at the lower rate and this is a big win for me. 

Message 32 of 34
Aim_High
Super Contributor

I'll bite.  Boomer here, and proud of it.  Smiley Wink

Keeping mine, at least for now.  CSR will be open for two years in May so higher AF won't be due for awhile.  With the exception of my two hotel cards which both more than pay for themselves directly with annual Free Night award, I have no cards with AFs besides CSR.   I researched the premium travel cards and chose the CSR carefully after doing the math.  It made the most sense for me and still does. 

Since I got the CSR, I expanded my Chase cards and got the Quadfecta of CSR - CFU - CF - CIC.  With the SUBs and SUB spend, I got over $3K in travel points through the UR portal, so any AF increases are essentially "paid-for" for quite awhile.  I get 7.5% back for travel on all my cellphone and home tv-internet and office supply spend through INK Cash and UR transfer to CSR.  Same for my CF quarterly spend.  That's a few hundred dollars for each of those card spends. I also spend a lot every month on dining out and get 4.5% back for travel redemption on any of that.  It's a good return.

I got the CSR in large part due to its' superior travel benefits and perks.  I still love it for that.  I won't relist them all here, but there is no card on the market that gives you such bang-for-your-buck when it comes to travel insurances and protections. Period.

Regardless of the above, I'm quite miffed with the $100 AF hike and the new "benefits" with Lyft and DoorDash.  It's completely lost money to me.  Smiley Sad  Since I just got the card, it feels like a bait-and-switch scheme.  It's also a 22% price hike in one fell swoop.  Ouch!!  The $300 travel credit has always been so easy to get and is one HUGE reason I shyed away from AMEX and their narrowly-focused "credits" that have loopholes.  I have considered how I might use the new "benefits" but I despise trying to adapt my behavior to justify a credit card's fee credits. 

Regardless, I try to get cards for the long-haul and I'm getting enough value from CSR as mentioned above that I can't justify just cancelling it or downgrading it now, especially since I just went through the hurdles of building the Quadfecta.  So at least for the next couple of years, it's a keeper.  But if the price hikes again before five years passes, Chase will be on thin ice. 

And if I cancel the CSR, their overall card appeal to me will crumble with it.  I would probably move my dining, travel, and any uncategorized spend elsewhere, and that's a lot of my spend.  I already get 3% on dining and travel with CITI-Costco with no-AF and there are other no-AF cards like WF-Propel.  CF categories and the INK Cash 5% payouts would be about all that was left.  CFU at 1.5% with no magnifier would be no better than my CapOne QS and I have PenFed Power Cash now that pays 2%.

P.S.  The Arby's meat side-thread is rather disgusting ... Smiley Frustrated  Reminds me of the 1980's Wendy's commerical about their competitor's chicken being "fused" and "parts-is-parts"!  Smiley Tongue

*See YouTube link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_oem9BqUTI

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 33 of 34
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I dunno. I felt left out when everyone had threads about not keeping their CSR because of the AF increase. So this is a thread for us darn urban dwelling millenials who Chase is catering to due to our whimsical charm and love of apps that take us places or provide takeaway to our places.

Are you keeping your CSR? Join the party! Here's some hashtaggin for the youths (assist to JNA) #ChaseLyftsMeUp #DoorDashinglyHandsome

I'm no urban dweller but am a begrudged millenial and quite doirdashinglyhandsome with said charm. After actually running the numbers, I think I will too, but only because I have soooo much work travel. Once that stops, might be CSP or AMEX green time.

Thanks for the counter culture post.

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.