Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSR's on closing account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSR's on closing account

I closed a BestBuy account on Monday of this week, the CSR tried and tried to get me to keep the account open. I finally convinced them I was deadset on closing it. A day later I closed an old Chase Manhattan Bank visa over the phone the CSR was just Ok you want it closed it's closed. Just found it amusing different CCC handle customers differently.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CSR's on closing account

Just curious, why would you close "an old Chase Manhattan Bank Visa"? And how old is "old"?

Have to say I balk a bit at closing any credit line, although I have threatened before to have AFs waived!

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 1/2 years old. Initial CL $300. Closing CL $300. Cost me a hard pull to find out the CL was never going to increase. I got the standard "keep doing what you're doing and eventually you'll get a CLI". I was like sure I will and people in  h  e  l  l will be drinking ice water long before that happens. My credit reports say one of my negative factors is too many accounts (42). So I decided to reduce my number of accounts by 1. Was going to SD then just TC'd (trash canned, lol). I doubt it will hurt my AAoA too much and I seriously doubt a $300 card will hurt my utilization %.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're right, 42 accounts is a bit much!!! I have a hard enough time keeping up with my 10 credit cards and making sure they all show some usage every few months. Not sure I could manage many more!

I agree, after 2 1/2 yrs. you're probably never going to see any kind of decent CL on that card.  And better to have it closed by you than notated in credit reports "closed by creditor" from lack of usage if you sock drawered it!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well some of those accounts are paid off with zero balances and closed. When I bought my DW's vehicle in Feb. I tried to use my local CU and they declined me the LO was like "holy cow you have 30 CC's and no lates" . But they said they couldn't give me a loan because of too many accounts. Anyhow I just joined NFCU and I think someone said they do a manual review on everything as it is not all about the FICO score with them. So I plan on closing probably 12-15 more cards in the next year. Gonna let my newest account auto loan age til tax season next year then try to refi with NFCU. If they approve me fine if they dont then that's a few less headaches I have to worry about keeping track of. As far as keeping up with all my accounts I have to thank Quicken software. I check my accounts daily (DW says I'm anally retentive about it lol) and it shows me reminders of when I have upcoming payments due,
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also use Quicken Online and check it daily....totally obsessed with making sure I know exactly what's going on with all my accounts. I was fine with keeping up with everything until I added 3 new cards in March, then Quicken became a necessity! Pretty sure I wouldn't want to manage 30 accounts even with Quicken! Hats off to you!!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.