Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSR to 50k sign-up 1/12/17

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CSR to 50k sign-up 1/12/17

There are two different schools of thoughts on the Chase 5x24 rule and people with either agree or disagree.. With that said, please bring the discussion back to the subject of the 100k offer being changed to the 50k offer and your thoughts and plans of how to obtain this if you want it prior to this happening and similar things relevant to the topic.  Thanks

Message 51 of 158
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

There are two different schools of thoughts on the Chase 5x24 rule and people with either agree or disagree.. With that said, please bring the discussion back to the subject of the 100k offer being changed to the 50k offer and your thoughts and plans of how to obtain this if you want it prior to this happening and similar things relevant to the topic.  Thanks

I've actually considered convincing my mom to open one just so I can reap the sign-up bonus (I would pay the AF of course, in this case). She might go for it if I gave her $450 in cash upfront...

As for one of my own - I will keep checking in-branch until my trip at the end of March, but barring that....  kind of feel like the CSP-level bonus will not be nearly as attractive. One of the big reasons many could justify paying the $450 AF for the Reserve is that they pretty much give you more than 2 years-worth of AF as a bonus, nevermind all the perks.

Message 52 of 158
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I see that some are at 5/24 this is the max one can have in 2 years and still be approved you do not have to wait till 4/24.

Message 53 of 158
myjourney
Super Contributor

@driftless wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

While I'm not in the target demographic for any of Chase's UR cards I do think their "5/24" rule is like doing surgery with a chainsaw.  I also think it's very fair for somebody who has set a goal to be annoyed when the bar is moved; I can personally empathize with this.

Nobody is saying that Chase doesn't have the "right" to change up their promos/offerings/etc. - of course they do.  But people also have the "right" to think their somewhat arbitrary rules are obnoxious. 

I understand not everybody feels this way, but just as they are entitled to their opinions I'm entitled to mine.  Smiley Happy

Yes, but from the other side of the fence, just think about how much more valuable my CSR would be without the churners and the myFICO folks who often app without thought. There is a sense of entitlement on this board that is jaw dropping from those not in "thick file" or "more is better" crowd.

driftless Smiley Surprised

I'n in utter shock in your assessment lately honestly and think this should be addressed/debated 

The majority of Fico users make sound credit decisions as a whole so don't lump the masses in a group/label 

Yes there are those that app haphazardly and get caught up but most of those don't listen to the advice given 

"slow and steady wins the race"

I'm in awe lately of those placing labels on others based on what they perceive as a churner etc etc 

I'll use myself as an example 

I chase/churn bonuses and everyone here knows it! 

Yet I've managed to hover around 5/24 or lower 

Not only do I chase bonuses but I tend to test the card for a year or more in some cases

Plat, Inks, Prestige, CSP, Hyatt, PRG I still have and have had for over 2 years 

I'm a methodical churner I guess with a cold calculated approach 

Yet I have (1) HP that falls off in 3 weeks and (2) that fall off in November

All Chase to I might add

So why is it here on this forum lately that it's ok to blame someone or label a certain group as to they are the root of all evil? 

That is so wrong on so many levels 

Example:

Chase has stated publicly that they lost 200 mil on this deal so how is it people place to wrongful blame a certain group of individuals as being at fault 

That's all on Chase and can't be a label on any group of any type (churner) or otherwiise 

Since you and I have talked in the past IIRC

You do shelter help for the homeless....Bravo WTG

So if you offer turkeys and $100 dollars and run out of food and cash but 1500 people are still in line who's fault is that?

Who do you blame the food churners messed up the giveaway?

Things that make you go Hmmmmm

I think it's just wrong to label any group or any individual for there style of credit and what they wish to get out of it and while it's a small group that does it here in each and every thread ....really?

It's just wrong IMHO 

PS I'm not attacking you driftless for your thoughts but there's a small group here I might add that does this regularly and I think it needs to be addressed/debated 

So the big fish know that I'll be addressing your process of labeling others and that's just the facts 

Everyone who knows me knows I keep it real and for anyone here to blame a certain group as to what caused a major lending institute to change a rule due to the small number of those that churn or close new accounts or run them out of metal cards cause they can't keep up in printing  ....It's debatable and addressable on so many levels 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 54 of 158
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Ugh I'm at 5/24 until Sept 2017 and there isn't a branch that is particularly close to me. One finally opened just over an hour away in another state. I wish I could just call and ask about pre-approval instead of driving all the way there on a hope and a prayer just to apply for a credit card. However, I already feel I got robbed on my CSP since they changed to 50K a month after I got the card so I missed those points. I'd be really butthurt to miss 50K pts.

Road trip!

I know, I know, but the only thing I could do in that town and along the way is road trip for a restaurant. My DH now works Saturdays so he can't take me. I'm pregnant and last week I passed out while driving so a bit apprehensive to make the trip on my own. Especially if I eat since that's what leads to my fainting. I should have gone last month, but I usually feel like just resting on my days off. I was hoping it would last until next Fall so I could nab the card in natural course. I don't want to be a bonus chaser, but we really enjoyed our CSP for the last year and managed to get 3 RT flights out of it. That's worth the AF for us. I'm not quite the CSRs target demo, but we'd like to travel more and had just started before I got pregnant. I'd love to try it for a year or two to see how it works for us.

Message 55 of 158
NRB525
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I don't recall other instances of an issuer telling (on the website) when an intro offer is going away.   Has that happened before?

Yes Chase has been known to often 

Citi every now and again 

Amex nope can change during lunch break 

Lol

The offer timeframes I've seen on AMEX "easy offers" ( those you can get to without going incognito ) have very often had a date certain when that offer would expire.

The situation where someone stumbles on a mistaken link to a good offer, yeah, those are typically gone like a f@r+ in the wind.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 56 of 158
trnl2016
Regular Contributor

I don't think I'm quite ready for this card, but I'm gonna app anyway. Worst case scenario is a denial and a hard pull... and maybe a hurt heart. Smiley Tongue I think I can spare it all in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, I can convince them in recon. I've seen crazier things!

Question: If I get denied for this card, even in recon, is it possible to ask them to reconsider me for a different card?

Message 57 of 158
Anonymous
Not applicable

@trnl2016 wrote:

I don't think I'm quite ready for this card, but I'm gonna app anyway. Worst case scenario is a denial and a hard pull... and maybe a hurt heart. Smiley Tongue I think I can spare it all in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, I can convince them in recon. I've seen crazier things!

Question: If I get denied for this card, even in recon, is it possible to ask them to reconsider me for a different card?

reconsideration is on a given application - so you can recon only for something you've applied for.

As long as your credit history is decent and you make probably over 25k a year they will probably approve you (assuming you haven't exceeded the 5/24 rule).

Message 58 of 158
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Chase has stated publicly that they lost 200 mil on this deal so how is it people place to wrongful blame a certain group of individuals as being at fault 

Well, given this data, is it any wonder Chase decided to do away with the large sign-up bonus?  

@I have to say, I've seen a lot of criticism of Chase' 5/24 policy all over this forum -- it's been called stupid, random, short-sighted, with folks predicting Chase will soon regret it.  5/24 may seem arbitrary to us on the outside, but I find it unlikely that a multi-billion dollar international company would institute this policy without proper research.  I think Chase has characterized the demographics and taken a calculated risk to reject the people who cannot get under 5/24.  Now Chase analysis could eventually be proven wrong, but I don't think Jamie Dimon pulled 5/24 out of his @$$. 

I also think people have missed the point of 5/24.  It is not just meant to discourage churners, it is their way, combined with the high annual fee and generous starting limit, of selecting/encouraging people who will make the CSR their primary card in the long term.  They don't want people who have so many cards that their spend gets diluted across other cards and their rewards structure.  If you have a card for groceries, a card for costco, a card for airlines, a card for hotels, a card for restaurants, and a constant stream of new cards with spend requirements, etc...how much are you actually going to put through the CSR? 

Anyway, off my soapbox.  Good luck to those who are trying to make the deadline. 

Message 59 of 158
Anonymous
Not applicable

As much as i like this card and love the perks for a $150 AF card ( i do travel few times a year so i can get back the $300), I am probably not gonna go for it. Mostly because of 4k the minimum spend, 100k points is really tempting but not that tempting to make me overspend. On the other hand i am more concerned with getting few cards that have reasonable APR and point/cashback for longterm at this point.

Message 60 of 158
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.