Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSR updates coming 10/5?

tag
MyFault
Valued Contributor

CSR updates coming 10/5?

Anyone hear about this? A reddit user has stated he called into Chase and a customer service rep told them that they were announcing changes to the CSR on Monday (10/5).

Link to reddit discussion 

I wonder what they're going to announce. I'm hoping for 4x or 5x dining and travel, 5x travel via the UR portal. I'd like to see gas added to travel, or add 2x-3x for gas.

Also, i really am hoping they're not going to add groceries to the CSR. It doesn't belong. They need to make the CSP a companion card to the CSR and remove the one sapphire rule imo. Add groceries to the CSP, and maybe gas instead of to the CSR. include 3x on dining vs the current 2x so it's still enticing for those who don't want the CSP AND CSR together. Then it's also a better competitor to the Gold. Since you'd also get 1.25% minimum redemption on top of the 3x.

I know my second paragraph is extremely far fetched. But, we'll see what happens on Monday, if anything.

|  
Message 1 of 135
134 REPLIES 134
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: CSR updates coming 10/5?

The problem is that even if they bump up the multipliers a bit it still will take thousands of dollars in spending to overcome the Flex card since that card is free. 

I think if anything it will be more credits/promos for specific merchants to make it sound like more value is being given. But we will see. 

Message 2 of 135
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It would make my decision easier to keep this card if it simply allowed referrals on it on par at least with the CSP (15k). Why despite not using DW's CSP card we keep it around simply for that. One referral pays the AF for itself for the year

As it stand with the AF due this month I gotta see between the rumored changes on 10/5 and how Hyatt deals with the upcoming devaluation in 2021 how to proceed. Normally I just transfer our URs to Hyatt but want to see how award stays are going to be once changes are implemented. That alone will probably help me keep the card at least one more year

Message 3 of 135
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

When the Citi Premier best the CSR/CSP in multipliers Chase knows they have a problem. Shy of the travel protections I don't know why anyone would want the CSP and even the CSR is a hard sell in its current form.
Message 4 of 135
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

The problem is that even if they bump up the multipliers a bit it still will take thousands of dollars in spending to overcome the Flex card since that card is free. 

I think if anything it will be more credits/promos for specific merchants to make it sound like more value is being given. But we will see. 

There's still value in transferability...though CSP and Ink Preferred are only $95 vs. $550.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 135
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I read a similar rumor HERE 

It's likely referencing the same Reddit post!  Monday should be an exciting day!

Message 6 of 135
audioman00
Regular Contributor

Consider the price at which airlines and hotels are currently willing to sell wholesale points to Chase at the moment.

My prediction is redemption rate moves from 1.5 to 2.5 or higher when URs are redeemed through Chase travel portal. 

Message 7 of 135
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@audioman00 wrote:

Consider the price at which airlines and hotels are currently willing to sell wholesale points to Chase at the moment.

My prediction is redemption rate moves from 1.5 to 2.5 or higher when URs are redeemed through Chase travel portal. 

Wouldn't transfer bonuses make more sense, then? They'd likely be much cheaper. I don't see how they can manage 2.5.

At 2.5 cpp...

CFU would give 3.75% in travel cash.

CF/CFF would give 12.5%.

CSR would give 7.5%.

Hotel pricing can be all over the place, but plane tickets lack the big commissions to support those kinds of earn rates for Chase.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 135
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

As much as I'd love to see them move UR to 2.5cpp when redeemed through the portal, I believe @wasCB14 is right...I don't think that's something they'd be able to entertain..at least not for a long period of time. That would make transferring to partners almost pointless (at least domestically) because I yet to find an airline miles or reward point that yields 2.5cpp even when redeeming for domestic first class.

I do think they'll have to at least consider making the CSR earn 5x when booking (not redeeming) through the portal otherwise I don't know the reason (shy of travel protection) that anyone who has a Flex would use the CSR instead.  The sucky part is there is so many things Chase needs to address with their Sapphire product that any thing they do could potentially be seen as a step in the right direction.

What I hope they don't do is follow the Amex path with the silly monthly/semi-annual credits. I don't need any more credits to Uber, Lift, DoorDash, UberEats, Saks, Shake Shack, Ruth Chris, or the Cheesecake Factory.

They need to implement something that most folks can entertain organically. Citi leads the pack in rewards points on a core personal product in the Fuel category with 3x via the Premier while the best you can do with Amex is 3x by way of EveryDay Preferred after making 30 transactions a month and it can't be done on any core Chase Products.

This is something both Amex and Chase needs to address. A travel card that lacks a fuel category has always made me scratch my head (can you hear me now Prestige, Amex Platinum, Sapphire Preferred/Reserve).  There's a case to be made that the Premier is probably better than the Prestige overall as the multipliers are better and it's a better travel card of the majors when looking at multipliers and annual fee alone. It's hard to knock 3x on dining, grocery, airfare, hotels, gas, car rentals and parking (until 4/2021), and a $100 hotel credit all for $95 AF.

I could go on but I won't...Chase just needs to fix their Sapphire product immediately or they'll see decrease in want/demand for product that was once industry leading that is now lackluster at best.

Message 9 of 135
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat wrote:

What I hope they don't do is follow the Amex path with the silly monthly/semi-annual credits. I don't need any more credits to Uber, Lift, DoorDash, UberEats, Saks, Shake Shack, Ruth Chris, or the Cheesecake Factory.

While i agree, isn't this why they do it, for competition? That way you have to decide whether you use their card or a competitor's, which is what they utlimately want. If they offered credits at totally different places it would would appeal to someone to have both rather than choosing one.

And in truth those credits are offed with the intent a person won't be able to fully utilize them, I suspect.

Message 10 of 135
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.