Did you mean: 

CSR updates coming 10/5?

tag
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Re: CSR updates coming 10/5?

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

The CSR told me the current gas/instacart promotions are valid through 12/31 but nothing else is new is coming online. Instacart is currently running a promtion for $10 off $35 with Wal-Mart delivery so might be worth trying.

What current gas promotion? The 5x gas stations expired on 9/30 I believe. The only gas promotion remaining, that I know of, is that it can apply towards your $300 travel credit through 12/31. (Unforunately I already used up my entire travel credit 2 days after I got my CSR, paying for an airport parking garage lol)

That promotion is supposedly extended all the way to 12/31. I did make a purchase at a gas station last night but it hasn't been long enough to see how it posts. I did however earn the 3x for a purchase I made on 9/29 which if you know Chase is "pushing it" because its not when you purchase but when you are credited.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 41 of 135
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

The CSR told me the current gas/instacart promotions are valid through 12/31 but nothing else is new is coming online. Instacart is currently running a promtion for $10 off $35 with Wal-Mart delivery so might be worth trying.

What current gas promotion? The 5x gas stations expired on 9/30 I believe. The only gas promotion remaining, that I know of, is that it can apply towards your $300 travel credit through 12/31. (Unforunately I already used up my entire travel credit 2 days after I got my CSR, paying for an airport parking garage lol)

That promotion is supposedly extended all the way to 12/31. I did make a purchase at a gas station last night but it hasn't been long enough to see how it posts. I did however earn the 3x for a purchase I made on 9/29 which if you know Chase is "pushing it" because its not when you purchase but when you are credited.

You're sure the CSR was talking about the 5x, and not just the travel reimbursement? I haven't seen that anywhere yet, and the CSR benefits page isn't showing it anymore since it disappeared on 10/1. I haven't tried using it at a gas station yet since 9/30

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 42 of 135
Jccflat
Established Contributor

Just spoke to chase and was told the 5x instacart  was only till sep30

Message 43 of 135
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Jccflat wrote:

I guess this whole coronavirus thing is finally starting to wind down. At least in the banks' point of view.

I have noticed lately that the curbside pickup spaces at my local grocery stores are pretty empty lately. Sort of getting the feeling that people are starting to return to their old lives again. So maybe credit card offers are all beginning to return to normal somewhat as well.

Message 44 of 135
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Jccflat wrote:

I guess this whole coronavirus thing is finally starting to wind down. At least in the banks' point of view.

Not sure about that.. Banks simply want their money and pay less benefits and willing to lose some customers in the process i speculate.  Although if the bleeding is enough then a stop gap could come in some form of a temp or permanent buff as Chase isnt one to usually to lose to Citi and/or Amex.  It is a constant boxing match with nerfs/buffs between them

Message 45 of 135
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Jccflat wrote:

Not sure about that.. Banks simply want their money and pay less benefits and willing to lose some customers in the process i speculate.  Although if the bleeding is enough then a stop gap could come in some form of a temp or permanent buff as Chase isnt one to usually to lose to Citi and/or Amex.  It is a constant boxing match with nerfs/buffs between them

Good point - sometimes I forget that bank offers are largely just driven by algorithms and competition (and by which 3rd-parties are willing to partner with them for deals), not necessarily by what consumers are asking for.

Message 46 of 135
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

You're sure the CSR was talking about the 5x, and not just the travel reimbursement? I haven't seen that anywhere yet, and the CSR benefits page isn't showing it anymore since it disappeared on 10/1. I haven't tried using it at a gas station yet since 9/30

CSRs have not been known to exactly know their way around the CSR.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 47 of 135
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I'm honestly not surprised. They would not want to take attention away from the Freedom cards that they just revamped.

We have to keep in mind that although us CC nerds may think the Sapphire cards need immediate improvement, the reality is that only became totally true when the Flex started offering 3x dining, less than a month ago. I would suepect that any permanent card changes are hashed out in meetings, discussed, and finalized within Chase weeks, if not months, before they actually happen. So as impatient as we may be, it's not going to be an overnight thing, if it even happens at all - remember Amex has cards like the Platinum where, on an earnings perspective, it's not great, but it has perks. Chase may go that route with the CSR, simply add more credits/perks without increasing the earnings.

Message 48 of 135
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

The thing that worries me is that the CSR has been reported to be a "loss leader" for Chase, costing them possibly 100's of millions a year just so they can say that they have one of the most highly sought-after cards/ecosystems. I'm not sure if that rumor has merit or not, but if so, how much more money are they willing to lose on it before eventually they say "enough is enough"?

That's why I think that they're only going to look into expanding the card's benefits in ways that don't cost them money. Deals with 3rd-party vendors like DoorDash and Lyft are a good example of that - I doubt those deals cost Chase much, or possibly any, money. So we'll probably see more of that. But I'm not confident at this point that they'll add or increase broad category multipliers, unless they make up the difference in other ways like cutting other benefits or increasing the AF.

Honestly I'd be ok with an increased AF if the multipliers go up as well to justify it, but many people may not be.

Message 49 of 135
CaptJOB
Regular Contributor

I'm really not sure there are any updates required here. 3 Freedom URs are worth 3 cents and aren't transferrable to travel partners(assuming no Sapphire or Ink Preferred). CSR and those 3 URs are worth 4.5 cents compared to say 4 cents for 4 MRs(clarification on valuations below). Assuming everyone who has the card is expecting 2+ CPP I think is just not the case. 

I had to talk someone out of getting the Gold card the other day and push them towards Chase because I've heard them talk about this before and I know they'd likely end up using those MRs towards hotels in the portal for .7 cents a piece. I think that happens pretty often. I remember reading about maximizing Avianca Lifemiles as a great deal but when I tried to figure out their system it was too clunky/there weren't saver awards availble so it really wasn't worth my time. 

On top of that anyone who lives in a big city and has the CSR can almost assuredly use the Lyft/Doordash Benefits and isn't really thinking about canning this card for a product that has a foreign transaction fee. 

Message 50 of 135
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.