Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSR updates coming 10/5?

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: CSR updates coming 10/5?

@coreysw12 wrote:

The thing that worries me is that the CSR has been reported to be a "loss leader" for Chase, costing them possibly 100's of millions a year just so they can say that they have one of the most highly sought-after cards/ecosystems. I'm not sure if that rumor has merit or not, but if so, how much more money are they willing to lose on it before eventually they say "enough is enough"?

That's why I think that they're only going to look into expanding the card's benefits in ways that don't cost them money. Deals with 3rd-party vendors like DoorDash and Lyft are a good example of that - I doubt those deals cost Chase much, or possibly any, money. So we'll probably see more of that. But I'm not confident at this point that they'll add or increase broad category multipliers, unless they make up the difference in other ways like cutting other benefits or increasing the AF.

Honestly I'd be ok with an increased AF if the multipliers go up as well to justify it, but many people may not be.

This exactly. We will see more of these IMO and not as much in the way of increased multipliers.

Message 51 of 135
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

This exactly. We will see more of these IMO and not as much in the way of increased multipliers.

I will say, the 3rd-party deals definitely do what they were intended for. I use DoorDash more than I otherwise would, and I use Lyft now, when I used to only use Uber. I don't mind being "persuaded" to switch loyalties if the price is right Smiley Wink

So if they can't/won't do broad category multiplier increases, maybe they could work out some kind of deal with, say, Chevron, or Safeway, for exclusive 5% gas/grocery deals. I'm sure that's what they already do with the Freedom/Flex - I doubt walmart/paypal were chosen randomly. But maybe to make it stand out from the Freedom, they could make it year-long and uncapped.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 52 of 135
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

One thing I have found strange:  the common mantra is that for maximum value, you need to transfer to partners.    Yet currently CSP and CSR act the same way, i.e. a UR on either gets transferred for the same value.    The CSR could be made more attractive by say, points on CSR transfer at 1.1:1 (adapted for non 1:1 ratios where necessary).   Of course, this would stop point transfer between cards, or at least, like Citi used to do, keep track of where points come from and have restrictions.

Message 53 of 135
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

One thing I have found strange:  the common mantra is that for maximum value, you need to transfer to partners.    Yet currently CSP and CSR act the same way, i.e. a UR on either gets transferred for the same value.    The CSR could be made more attractive by say, points on CSR transfer at 1.1:1 (adapted for non 1:1 ratios where necessary).   Of course, this would stop point transfer between cards, or at least, like Citi used to do, keep track of where points come from and have restrictions.

I agree, it's interesting that CSP/CSR have exactly the same transfer structure. For anyone that exclusively transfers points to 3rd parties, there's little reason to have CSR instead of CSP right now, aside from the +1x travel category earning, which even then the Freedoms are giving it a run for its money right now, with their 5x travel portal earning. Changing the transfer ratio for CSR would be a nice perk (hopefully they wouldn't nerf the transfer system from other cards), or they could at least make it so CSR has more transfer partners.

Message 54 of 135
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I agree, it's interesting that CSP/CSR have exactly the same transfer structure. For anyone that exclusively transfers points to 3rd parties, there's little reason to have CSR instead of CSP right now, aside from the +1x travel category earning, which even then the Freedoms are giving it a run for its money right now, with their 5x travel portal earning. Changing the transfer ratio for CSR would be a nice perk (hopefully they wouldn't nerf the transfer system from other cards), or they could at least make it so CSR has more transfer partners.

CSP customers are still paying $95. Amex Zync had an AF with MREs but Amex moved away from that silliness. IIRC, TY Preferred had JetBlue as the only transfer partner, but no AF.

CSR also has better travel insurance...and may of those benefits still apply to travel booked with partner points.

Also IIRC, transfers are from an individual card's UR balance and not a shared pool. If Chase wanted to give a 10% bonus, they could just apply it to transfers from the CSR. It would be an extra step and maybe some people would forget if they're moving it from an Ink Preferred or grandfathered "second Sapphire" CSP. But at least they wouldn't have to track points by origin, like Citi.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 55 of 135
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

I was complaining to someone that handles terms and conditions (I think that is what it is called) for several banks. Basically they write the code that makes the change. There is supposed to be some big changes coming with chase. Some of it I'm told is business cards are going to become consumer cards as in chase is getting out of the business card sector among other things. How true this is I dont know, but I've been told other things that has came to pass. We shall see...

I've been hesitant to say anything about it because I don't want to spread any wrong info. We shall see in the coming months I suppose.

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 56 of 135
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@addicted_to_credit wrote:

I was complaining to someone that handles terms and conditions (I think that is what it is called) for several banks. Basically they write the code that makes the change. There is supposed to be some big changes coming with chase. Some of it I'm told is business cards are going to become consumer cards as in chase is getting out of the business card sector among other things. How true this is I dont know, but I've been told other things that has came to pass. We shall see...

I've been hesitant to say anything about it because I don't want to spread any wrong info. We shall see in the coming months I suppose.

That seems unbelievable to me, but this year anything is possible I suppose.

Funny story, years ago I had a regular consumer Chase card of some sort (no idea what type), and it got nerfed so they auto-PC'd it to an Ink business card for some reason, even though I have no other business cards and don't own a business. They even generically named my new "business" for me: "Corey Business Services".

Message 57 of 135
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

@addicted_to_credit wrote:

That seems unbelievable to me, but this year anything is possible I suppose.

Funny story, years ago I had a regular consumer Chase card of some sort (no idea what type), and it got nerfed so they auto-PC'd it to an Ink business card for some reason, even though I have no other business cards and don't own a business. They even generically named my new "business" for me: "Corey Business Services".

yeah who knows, 2020 has been the year of strange endless possibilities 

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 58 of 135
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

There's another thread going on where someone pointed out that Chase just slashed a lot of people's cash advance limits from 20% down to 5%. So there's definitely some risk management stuff going on internally right now, as @OmarGB9 suggested in that thread.

Message 59 of 135
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

There's another thread going on where someone pointed out that Chase just slashed a lot of people's cash advance limits from 20% down to 5%. So there's definitely some risk management stuff going on internally right now, as @OmarGB9 suggested in that thread.

Huh, I had to check mine is still at 20%, I wouldn't care either way really that's something I just don't do nowadays. Honestly chase could take it to zero and I wouldn't be upset.

Message 60 of 135
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.