Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSR updates coming 10/5?

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: CSR updates coming 10/5?

@Loquat wrote:
In my experience Amex's portal is always a few dollars higher and my wife went around with USB about their prices being inflated and they eventually agreed to disagree. USBank actually saw discrepancy and still wouldn't acknowledge it. It ended with them saying that there's nothing they can do.

And while it may only be a few dollars here or there, that makes a difference when calculating point values...especially since most in this hobby based everything off cpp.

Amex Travel does offer decent value on their Insider rate or whatever they call it but I usually only see them offer on AA flights. And they too are usually $3-10 higher than booking direct. Is it a big deal...to some yes, other maybe not but when making an argument of one over the other I think all things are to be considered.

I really find that strange as my experience has always been the exact opposite, and I frequently use Amex, Chase, Citi, and USB (when not doing RTR) portals for airfare booking.  Always to the penny what Delta, Virgin Atlantic, Aeromexico, Air France or KLM were charging direct.  And of course for Insider Fares, I almost exclusively see them for Delta not AA!  I haven't actually taken advantage of one because I'll pay more for better routing, a more convenient departure or arrival time, or if I know that a particular flight has a near guarantee for a F upgrade.

#ataleoftworedeemers

Message 91 of 135
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@K-in-Boston I'm happy you chimed in.  You're the second person that said that they always see the Insider fares on Delta.  I always, without exception, see them on AA.  Do you think it has to do with the airline that we select at the beginning of the year?  You've got my attention and has peake' by interest because there has to be a reason why there's a difference.

Message 92 of 135
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I ran a few searches for RT flights next month between a mix of LAX, ONT, SFO, SEA, JFK, and EWR.

I could get Insider MR fares for AA and Delta on most routes they flew, though certainly not for every flight. Nothing for any other airlines.

My $200 Platinum credit is set on Delta.

(I tweaked the possible takeoff times to show both AA and DL insider options near the top of the page.)

MR insider fares - Copy.JPG

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 93 of 135
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Nice, that's $40-50 savings.  The Delta routes might have Delta One cabin for the transcontinental, so I'd pay more.  😂

@Loquat my guess is the difference may be departure/arrival airport more than anything else as it seems to be for certain city pairs.  Most of my flights are from BOS (now a DL hub) to SkyTeam hub or focus cities.

Message 94 of 135
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Nice, that's $40-50 savings.  The Delta routes might have Delta One cabin for the transcontinental, so I'd pay more.  😂

@Loquat my guess is the difference may be departure/arrival airport more than anything else as it seems to be for certain city pairs.  Most of my flights are from BOS (now a DL hub) to SkyTeam hub or focus cities.

Running the numbers for the first option...

28,480 MRs could buy a $331 flight...or could get $356 in cash at Schwab!

Message 95 of 135
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@wasCB14 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@wasCB14 @K-in-Boston   Thanks again for sharing.  I'm definitely going to spend some time trying to see if I can get anything other than AA to show.  The savings on the Insider Rates are really nice and when paired with my Business Gold it's even better especially if I can get the 25% points rebate.

Message 96 of 135
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Ahh yes...the MR rebates on the business side...I can see how these might become more attractive than searching for award space.

So 28,480 would fall to 18,512 net with 35% back on a Business Platinum.

Message 97 of 135
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Yeah, but I get 9968 MRs added back to my account on the next statement so I am only using 18,512 which would only get you $231.40 so 😛

Message 98 of 135
CaptJOB
Regular Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

@K-in-Boston I'm happy you chimed in.  You're the second person that said that they always see the Insider fares on Delta.  I always, without exception, see them on AA.  Do you think it has to do with the airline that we select at the beginning of the year?  You've got my attention and has peake' by interest because there has to be a reason why there's a difference.

I selected Delta in 2018 and United for 2019/2020 and I seem to only see AA for Insider Fares.

Message 99 of 135
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@CaptJOB wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

I selected Delta in 2018 and United for 2019/2020 and I seem to only see AA for Insider Fares.

@CaptJOB This is interesting for sure.  Like you I only see AA flights.  I poked around a little last night and again this morning and no matter what I do, even if I picked hub to hub on Delta I still can't get any Delta flights to show on the Insider Fares.  

Message 100 of 135
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.