Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSR updates coming 10/5?

tag
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Re: CSR updates coming 10/5?

@coreysw12 wrote:

I do the same thing, as well, with Southwest and United Dining. They both use the same 3rd-party service, but I have one card on United and another on Southwest (can't use the same card on more than 1 dining portal). Anyways, they have partner restaurants where if you dine there and use your card, you automatically get SW/UA points/miles for it, in addition to whatever points your credit card earns there.

Since it's all automatic, and can result in free miles, there's no reason not to do it... but I certainly am not on the United/Southwest dining websites to see which restaurants I should be eating at to earn miles. I eat where I want to eat - if it ends up scoring me some miles, great. (So far it hasn't, yet, but I only signed up recently and haven't been dining out much for obvious reasons)

The problem with the airline dining club is you have to hit 10 spots in a calendar year to go VIP and get the 5x per mile. I have done this with both United and American's dining program back when I was much more desperate to push my total points beyond the 100k level. Rakuten is a lot better since you are 5% automatically without needing to build up the visits.

Now will I go out of the way to get my 5% Rakuten points? When I am traveling I'd say no but I've scored 620 points unexpectedly off a 120 dollar dining bill. During the week I like to grab lunch out before running an errand and I will sometimes pick those 5x spots since they just happen to correlate with my favorite local restaurant. For instance a local mexican place that I really enjoy which is 5x that has everything so I might as well frequent that one. If you pay with a 3x dining card then you're scoring 8x total points, 16x ROI considering a 2.0 ccp value of the UR/MR. That is another reason not to do the individual airline mileage dining clubs since those miles don't have valuation.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 121 of 135
iced
Valued Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

The problem with the airline dining club is you have to hit 10 spots in a calendar year to go VIP and get the 5x per mile. I have done this with both United and American's dining program back when I was much more desperate to push my total points beyond the 100k level. Rakuten is a lot better since you are 5% automatically without needing to build up the visits.

Now will I go out of the way to get my 5% Rakuten points? When I am traveling I'd say no but I've scored 620 points unexpectedly off a 120 dollar dining bill. During the week I like to grab lunch out before running an errand and I will sometimes pick those 5x spots since they just happen to correlate with my favorite local restaurant. For instance a local mexican place that I really enjoy which is 5x that has everything so I might as well frequent that one. If you pay with a 3x dining card then you're scoring 8x total points, 16x ROI considering a 2.0 ccp value of the UR/MR. That is another reason not to do the individual airline mileage dining clubs since those miles don't have valuation.

Last I checked, Rakuten doesn't allow one to earn UR though, only MR. If someone's travel preferences put them in a camp loyal to a partner in the UR ecosystem, this doesn't help as much as the dining programs.

Of course, if Rakuten now does UR exchange the same as they do MR, it can work.

Message 122 of 135
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@iced wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

Last I checked, Rakuten doesn't allow one to earn UR though, only MR. If someone's travel preferences put them in a camp loyal to a partner in the UR ecosystem, this doesn't help as much as the dining programs.

Of course, if Rakuten now does UR exchange the same as they do MR, it can work.

The missing piece here is I was paying for my meal with a 3x CFU connected to the 5x MR earning dining club.

So 3x UR + 5x MR in the same purchase. Points can be combined together in British Airways or Virgin Atlantic one for one or you can just use them seperately in their partner ecosystems.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 123 of 135
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

@Aim_High Thanks for taking the time to reply and to share your perspective.  I can appreciate the value you find in the CSR once you broke it down.  It actually may be better in your situation over the others.  I am a frequent flyer so I do put a little more value on points and miles over cash back ...

As far as TPG's valuations, I think several others in this forum would echo that TPG values are junk.  They're inflated and they have motive to push certain products so I would suggest to anyone to do your own research and never, EVER rely on their numbers.

I hear a lot of folks speak of Costco but I liken them to the Sam's Club card.  While there's no annual fee per se I do take into account that I have to pay a membership fee to each club which in my mind serves in place of an annual fee.  

... TSA/Global Entry does has some value that given out on so many cards that I place little value on that as well. 

... I don't value DoorDash as the food is usually more expensive than if I were to buy directly from the restaurant.  

... like you and I have both done here, we've looked at products and determined what works and doesn't for our situation.  This hobby has many paths and most of us take a different one but the goal is usually the same...to enjoy a perk, benefit, or and experience that come from rewards.   Thanks again for sharing your view.  I certainly appreciate the detailed response and I hope that it serves as good info for others who want to compare the cards that we've mentioned. 

Thanks, @Loquat, and I'm glad my detailed reply helped to offer some insight into my perspective and methodology when considering the value of different cards.   It was my hope to offer some helpful information to others as I've learned that we have many more lurkers reading our posts than members actively participating.   And different situations and lifestyles merit a different approach.

Just to comment further on my perspective on a few things as well as to ask some questions:

• I agree that Costco is a little more complicated value calcuation that may vary greatly depending on your shopping habits.  I choose to even pay for the Executive membership which gives me an additional 2% back on annual warehouse purchases for a higher membership fee.  I've found that I spend enough to get more than the annual fee difference back without having to make any changes in behavior.  Same for the warehouse fee in general.  The basic $60 fee for all members means I just have to save an average of $5 per month over what I would spend outside the warehouse.  That's less than $1.25 per week.  For me, that's a no-brainer.  Buying bulk items like toiletries, toilet paper, paper towels, coffee, canned goods, or cereal pays for that alone.  Or one or two big-ticket purchases per year could make up the entire $60 and then some.  If and when my Costco membership stops paying for itself, I'm willing to close it and let my Citi Costco card go, but I can't see that happening any time soon!  As always, YMMV and everyone needs to make their own assessment. 

• The TSA Global Entry reimbursement is definitely offered on a lot of premium cards, and there is a danger in diluting your benefits and overall value from adding too many cards with credits such as this.  While I've considered adding another premium travel card to my lineup beyond the CSR, overlapping credits such as Global Entry reimbursement make it less attractive.   

• I totally agree with you that Door Dash can be a more expensive alternative, regardless of the waived delivery fee with Dash Pass.  In my case, on my business travels I am sometimes in a hotel room with no personal or rental car.  My only options are dining in-hotel at expensive rates, restaurants within walking distance, or taking public/transportation or rideshare to a restaurant.   Sometimes, especially during inclement weather when I'd choose not to walk, the higher expense on food delivery is relative to the higher costs I would pay for hotel dining, fees for transportation, or the inconvenience or safety of walking.  This has been particularly appropo during the coronavirus, when even many hotels have closed or limited their in-hotel dining options.   In the same vein, when I choose to dine in the hotel instead, my hotel-branded credit cards which offer higher in-hotel rewards are helpful in offsetting some of that cost.

• My big questions to you are regarding points valuation.  I have heard the criticisms of websites such as The Points Guy and recognize that they get paid for links to card applications.   However, their points reviews are with the all largest players (lenders, airlines, and hotels)  and it would appear they are getting paid by ALL of them.  Their review don't appear to favor one lender 100% of the time, or one card 100% of the time.  The major general travel point systems (MR-UR-TY-Diner's Club) are all valued closely together at between 1.7 ccp to 2.1 ccp.   Except for a few outliers on either end, most of the airline rewards programs are valued at around 1.0 ccp to 1.5 ccp and most of the hotel rewards are approximately 0.5 ccp to 1.0 ccp.  And for many consumers like myself who are not already knowledgable veterans of multiple loyalty programs, these approximate valuations are a helpful general guide.   While I realize that points valuation can vary widely in practice, having a targeted or expected value for points is helpful when someone is deciding on a path before collecting them.  So I would like to know your perspective about which of these valuations is wrong and how you would change the valuation to be more impartial or accurate?   Thanks in advance for that feedback!

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 124 of 135
wasCB14
Super Contributor

According to the annual report for the year ending 9/1/19, Costco has a 91% membership renewal rate in the US and Canada. 88% worldwide.

For most customers, the membership is not some "hidden cost" to getting the card. Deciding which card to use is an afterthought to having the membership.

I use Costco for warranty stuff and gas, but otherwise favor PR or WWFCR for most Costco spend.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 125 of 135
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Just a quick comment to say that I really enjoyed the dialog upthread between @Aim_High and @Loquat.  I had engaged in a similar, but far less thorough dialog with @Aim_High a couple of months ago when I announced my intention to downgrade my CSR to a CFU after the annual fee posted on Sept 1.  I came away from that earlier discussion with the conclusion that the CSR is still a good card if you do enough travel and dining.  @Aim_High travels and dines, despite the pandemic, but I do not.  That means that the CSR continues to be a good deal for him, but it no longer was for me (after I had liquidated my point balance through Pay Yourself Back).  My experience is quite similar to that of @Loquat, and I thank him for expressing this point of view so eloquently.

Will I ever go back to the CSR?  Probably not.  I loved the CSR when it first came out because both the $300 travel credit and the 3x points earnings were based solely on generic spending categories.  There were no Amex-style merchant-specific spending incentives whatsoever.  Chase seems to have decided that the Amex model is not so bad after all, and they're now linking the value proposition of the card to spending at specific merchants.  I left Amex for Chase several years ago for a reason, but if Chase is going to become a second Amex, then I'll stick to cash back cards.  I'm willing to reconsider if Chase updates the CSR to make it more like the 2016 original (and the pandemic ends so I can dine and travel again), but I don't see Chase doing that.

Thanks for the kind words @UpperNwGuySmiley Happy  I'm glad that the sharing of perspectives and situations is helpful to our community in general.  Likewise, though I sometimes don't take enough time to recognize others' contributions, I've learned a lot from other similar interactions. 

I like having these discussions because it helps to accentuate that there are a lot of differences between us, our situations, lifestyles, goals, and valuations of credit cards.  There is no one-size-fits-all solution and in the end, we have to make our own decisions based on our own evaluation of all these factors.  However, I'm glad to have the community to help guide me along the way. 

I had the same feelings about Chase starting to model AMEX with CSR changes as credits towards specific merchants.  One of the things I loved about CSR was how easy and general the $300 travel credit was to claim and I similarly disliked how complicated AMEX tried to make things to prevent you from claiming their credits.  I was very discouraged to see Chase following that path.  Despite that, I'm trying out the Gold card and seeing if it will work for me.  It was the best AMEX match for my spending and I got the 75K MR point SUB which takes the pressure off for awhile to make up the AF.   If AMEX and Chase continue to make their AFs as hard or harder to recoup, I'll also consider moving back towards cash back, where I was before I got back into the AF-cards a few years ago. 

Business Cards

Message 126 of 135
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coreysw12 wrote:

It's definitely not worth shopping anywhere that you weren't already planning to. As I always had a lot of difficulty explaining to my ex-wife, "You're not actually saving any money when it's something you weren't planning to buy before you saw it in the sale flyer."

Very true but that is the point of advertising, to try and urge you to buy when ordinarily you wouldn't. 

Message 127 of 135
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

According to the annual report for the year ending 9/1/19, Costco has a 91% membership renewal rate in the US and Canada. 88% worldwide.

For most customers, the membership is not some "hidden cost" to getting the card. Deciding which card to use is an afterthought to having the membership.

I use Costco for warranty stuff and gas, but otherwise favor PR or WWFCR for most Costco spend.

And that's exactly the direction I'm heading since I transferred assets to get Bank of America Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors status on my Cash Rewards card.  Instead of getting 2% at Costco on either my Costco card or BofA CR, I can earn 3.5% on general Costco spending which is a much better deal!   That 3.5% even beats my 3% on AOD FCU Visa, which is also a better spending alternative at Costco than the Citi card.  Like you, the Citi Costco card is still my primary gas card except when I don't have higher quarters with Freedom or Discover. 

While the Costco card was great a few years ago and got more of my spending, I've enlarged my card selection where it's become a backup player.   I doubt they'll do it, but it would be nice to see Citi-Costco do a "refresh" on the Costco card to enhance the benefits or value.  For example, if they made the Costco cash back 3% instead of 2%, kept 4% on gas, and then a flat 2% on everything else, it could be even more of a one-card wallet for many people who don't diversify rewards. 

Business Cards

Message 128 of 135
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Aim_High wrote:
  • My big questions to you are regarding points valuation.  I have heard the criticisms of websites such as The Points Guy and recognize that they get paid for links to card applications.   However, their points reviews are with the all largest players (lenders, airlines, and hotels)  and it would appear they are getting paid by ALL of them.  Their review don't appear to favor one lender 100% of the time, or one card 100% of the time.  The major general travel point systems (MR-UR-TY-Diner's Club) are all valued closely together at between 1.7 ccp to 2.1 ccp.   Except for a few outliers on either end, most of the airline rewards programs are valued at around 1.0 ccp to 1.5 ccp and most of the hotel rewards are approximately 0.5 ccp to 1.0 ccp.  And for many consumers like myself who are not already knowledgable veterans of multiple loyalty programs, these approximate valuations are a helpful general guide.   While I realize that points valuation can vary widely in practice, having a targeted or expected value for points is helpful when someone is deciding on a path before collecting them.  So I would like to know your perspective about which of these valuations is wrong and how you would change the valuation to be more impartial or accurate?   Thanks in advance for that feedback!

@Aim_High In my experience, TPG is way off.  Most of their valuations are based on the way they travel which is front of the house almost all the time.  There's absolutely no way I've ever gotten close to getting 1.7cpp on a domestic American route unless booking last minte at an inflated rate.  Is it possible to get 1.7cpp via AA miles...sure when you're always booking in First Class.  On the flip side they value Bonvoy points at 0.007cpp which I can't tell you if I've ever gotten a number that low.  

I know a lot of this is dependent upon when and how someone books...which is why I always encourage folks to run their own numbers because chances are it's not going to be the same as TPG or anyone else for that matter.  As for the fairness of their reviews...I won't speak too much to that because it's subjective.  However, in my opinion they tend to favor Chase and Amex way more than they do Citi and any other variants.  With that being said I understand that they are a business and want to generate revenue just like anyone else...and if Chase and Amex pays the most then they will continue to be featured.

Message 129 of 135
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Loquat wrote:
I don't mind merchant credits but I'm also not willing to go out of my way to use one. For example, the Amex Platinum and the Saks credit. I'm not a Sak's customer, never have been, and don't want to have to find something to buy in efforts justify the use of the credit.

I understand for the lenders who negotiate with these merchants it's a win-win...because the merchant is probably eating most of the cost but from a consumer standpoint it's just another hurdle to justify an AF.

I'd probably use about half the Saks credits naturally. It doesn't really bother me because I can get free shipping. It's just clothing and sales tax. One $100 credit would be nicer than two $50 ones, naturally. I figure I'd have a Platinum anyway so can get some socks if nothing else. I kind of like browsing to see what odd stuff I can get for $50 (okay, $60 in reality).

It's not like some other dining and delivery credits where there are a lot of dubious (non-tip) fees that can easily constitute 25% of the total purchase.

Yes, but while it may be easy enough to use, the real question is the actual value.   Are you getting (near) $60 of value in stuff that you would be anyway.   My guess is that usually equivalent stuff can be had quite a bit cheaper, so while using the offer is even cheaper, it doesn't deduct at full value from the AF.

A valid point and one I forgot about. In past back-of-the-envelope valuations I've assumed I'll get $50 of value (a 50% haircut). That's proven about right historically.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 130 of 135
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.