Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CU wants me to skip a payment?!

tag
kroberts67
Established Contributor

CU wants me to skip a payment?!

Here's one I haven't heard...  on my statement tonight I noticed the following:

"CONGRATULATIONS! BECAUSE OF YOUR EXCELLENT PAYMENT RECORD, YOU HAVE QUALIFIED TO
SKIP THIS MONTH'S PAYMENT. AS A REMINDER, INTEREST WILL CONTINUE TO ACCRUE.
THANK YOU FOR USING YOUR SCHOOLSFIRST FCU VISA."

Wooohoo!  Winna winna chicken dinna!  But no thank you, my plan to pay this card off next month doesnt include skipping a payment, lol.  How's aboutcha lower my rate instead??  Smiley Wink

Or since they just raised my CL by 6700, is this a test??  ha.

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: CU wants me to skip a payment?!

Don't have experience with Schools CU but nice vote of confidence between the CLI and offer. Agree PIF is the way to go to avoid interest payments in any case. Have had a few such 'skip a payment' offers from various issuers over the years but continued to pay >10% of outstanding bal if zero/low promo, otherwise- PIF to minimize/eliminate any ineterest payments. One good thing about CU, as a member-not much incentive to play games, would consider it an attempt to reward good credit behavior and perhaps earn some additional interest but nothing sneaky like an AA trap one may find from big banks from time to time depending on card holder profile, economic climate, etc.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 11
Plasticard
New Contributor

I've seen this too at my credit Union for my auto loan, however the difference is that the fine print says the skipped payment will need to be made up later in the year. So in my csse, I don't see anything good out of skipping the payment. At least with yours you won't need to make up the skipped payment. 

Message 3 of 11
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@kroberts67 wrote:

"CONGRATULATIONS! BECAUSE OF YOUR EXCELLENT PAYMENT RECORD, YOU HAVE QUALIFIED TO

Wooohoo!  Winna winna chicken dinna!  But no thank you, my plan to pay this card off next month doesnt include skipping a payment, lol.  How's aboutcha lower my rate instead??  Smiley Wink

Why would anyone skip a payment if interest will accrue? Plus, I think it kind of shows money may be "tight" because what other reason would you "need" to skip a monthly payment? The best of luck to you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 4 of 11
H4LO
Established Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@kroberts67 wrote:

Why would anyone skip a payment if interest will accrue? Plus, I think it kind of shows money may be "tight" because what other reason would you "need" to skip a monthly payment? The best of luck to you.

This.

While I was looking at doing a auto refinance at my local CU. They said no payment for 3 months.

Well that's cool...... BUT it still accures interest. 

Not the smartest option.

Total CL - 60K // Util. ~1.6%

772 TU - 6/5 ///// 705 EX - 5/5 ///// 664 EQ - 4/29
Message 5 of 11
kroberts67
Established Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@kroberts67 wrote:

My thoughts exactly.  I do love the gestures they've been making to me lately.  It would come in handy if things were tight, and I can see where the CU makes out. I guess its a frame of mind.  Before credit rebuilding I would have been estatic.  Smiley Wink 

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 6 of 11
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@kroberts67 wrote:

When something sounds too goo to be true, it usually is

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 7 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

Why would anyone skip a payment if interest will accrue? 

"I wouldn't" isn't the same thing as "no one would".

Plenty of consumers would and that's part of the reason why so many of them are in debt.

Message 8 of 11
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I had a similar offer from my CU when I had my car loan through them. It was more geared toward the end of the year so one had money for holiday shopping (or anything else for that matter).  That's what they told me anyway.  I didn't do it but they told me a lot of their customers "take advantage" of it "without penalty."  I've only ever heard of CUs doing this.  Not sure if regular credit cards do?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 11
titanofold
Established Contributor

Wings Financial does this as well.

I always assumed the interest would continue to accrue. Logically, it just makes sense. So, I have a hard time getting uppity that they wouldn't also defer the interest accrual.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.