Did you mean: 

California Bank and Trust Visa Reserve Card

tag
asterix
Established Member

California Bank and Trust Visa Reserve Card

Any opinions about the California Bank and Trust Visa Reserve Card:

https://www.calbanktrust.com/personal-banking/credit-cards/reserve-card/

200$ in net fees, after 250$ travel credit. 3% back on Travel/Dining and 2% on rest. Comes with 1 Mil USD Travel Accident, Trip Cancellation, Lost/Delayed Baggage, Purchase/Price/Return Protection,  "Primary" Car Rental, "Lounge Access", and other generous coverages. 

This bank is CA only, but it's affiliates seem to offer the exact same product in 5 other states. Example in Nevada:  https://www.nsbank.com/personal/borrow/credit-cards/reserve/

-How would this compare with other premium US Altitude or Chase Sapphire Reserved?

-With 2% cash back on non travel/dining, perhaps this could become my One card to use everywhere. What do the gurus on this forum feel?

-Has anyone used this card or done business with this bank?

In a quest to keep things simple, I'd use their cash back as against points.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
asterix
Established Member

Re: California Bank and Trust Visa Reserve Card

Any suggestions?

Message 2 of 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

The SUB is great, but really it would depend on what your other options are, how much you value Priority Pass Select (if not already given on another card), and how you would redeem rewards otherwise.  Without placing a monetary value on PP or any protections of the card, you would need to spend $20,000 a year in travel and dining alone just to break even with the Citi Double Cash, or any other no-AF 2% card.  I don't notice any language whatsoever indiciating that travel redemptions are worth more than 1 cent per point that would change that math.

Again, unless you're spending well over $20k in dining and travel on the card, I don't think it makes sense at all.  There are a lot of cash back cards that would likely give you the same or better return, and a handful of travel cards with much more flexible and rewarding redemption options.

Message 3 of 5
batsy71
Regular Contributor

InFirst CU gives 3% cash back on Travel + Dining, 0AF.

If you can roll over > 100k of your 401k into MErrill Lynch (or Xk of 401k + (100-x)k of savings/investment) you get 2.65% on everything credit card + other credit cards that give 5.2% on items like travel/dining the whole year round with no AF.

PenFed PAthfinder Rewards allows you 100$ Annual Travel Credit + TSA/Global Entry credit, 0AF.

If you live or have family in AZ, you can get vantage West CU that gives 5% on travel or dining all year round, 0AF.

There are other 0AF cards that I am forgetting that offer some other relevant perks.

So essentially the only separable aspect of this card is are you willing to pay 200$ for the travel perks you listed: 

Travel Accident, Trip Cancellation, Lost/Delayed Baggage, Purchase/Price/Return Protection,  "Primary" Car Rental, "Lounge Access", and other generous coverages. 

For some one like me who doesnt travel much, a 0 AF card almost always wins.

Message 4 of 5
asterix
Established Member

Thank you. inFirst FCU card does seem interesting.  I'll look it up further.

I am happy with Costco Visa (for Purchase warranty benefit and cash back at costco) and Citi DC (2% cashback). I am really looking for Travel Protections.

Can you recommend a card to me with the following benefits:

• Travel Accident - 1 Mil
  • Trip Cancellation/Interruption - 5 to 10K
  • Trip or Baggage Delay Reimbursement
  • Lost Baggage Reimbursement
  • No or sub 100$ AF
  • No FTF
  • Travel and Dining - Perhaps 2X points/cashback or more. Protections are more important
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.