Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call cards companies before travel?

tag
craigatcraignet
Valued Member

Call cards companies before travel?

Hey camper;

The wife and I don't travel much.  This april, however, we will be traveling to several different states.  Would it be a good idea to let the card companies know we are traveling so they don't think the cards were stolen?  

Thanks.

Craig, an IT guy.

If you build a mile of road, you can only go a mile, but if you build a mile of runway, you can go anywhere!

Craig, an IT guy.
The technical difficulty originally scheduled for this time has been postponed - due to technical difficulties.
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Strepthroat
Frequent Contributor

Re: Call cards companies before travel?

No harm in it, as a matter a fact, you wouldn't want to be somewhere and have your transactions declined because it's outside of your normal area of usage.

Chase Marriott Visa $25,000 | Chase Southwest Visa $25,000 | PFCU Visa $20,000 | Capital One Savor $20,000 | Nordstrom Visa $20,000 | GUCU Visa $10,500 | CapitalOne Quicksilver Visa $10,000 | US Bank Perks Visa $9,000 | Barclays Cash Forward Visa $6,000 | BB&T Spectrum Cash Visa $3,500
Message 2 of 27
ficofox
Regular Contributor

I typically do because I had an incident where my card was flagged while I was on travel and that can be a hassle to clear up.

Several of my cards have the ability to "notify us of upcoming travel" via online account management. This is even more advisable if this activity will be seen as "unusual" for your card (i.e., don't use the card out of state much).

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 27
ficofox
Regular Contributor

Oh, and it might be a great excuse to ask for a CLI at that time.  Who knows what you'll wanna buy while you two are gallivanting about?

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Message 4 of 27
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

I concur with everyone else - do call (or do it online if that's an option).  Especially if you are going to multiple places in a short period of time, they might think it has been compromised if you don't.  Also, because you don't travel much, that's another flag for them normally.

Just give them a general time of dates and places - you don't have to be super specific.  Do it for all Debit and CC you plan on taking with you and at least 24 hours before you leave so it gets into the system.

I did this when I visited canada and my friend did not - result?  My card worked and hers did not - and not much she could do on a weekend to fix it.

Enjoy your trip!

Current Scores: EQ: 740 (2/7/13)

Starting Score: 799
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call!

I called Wells Forgotmenot twice before traveling overseas.  My job took me internationally almost every month.  On one particular occasion, the Winter Olympics in Torino, I had my son with me.

Called before I left.  Gave them very specific dates of travel, and a list of all countries being visited.  WFugguped was a Visa card.

Italy, France, Switzerland, Austria, and Spain.

We were going to be gone for a month straight.  I needed access to my bank accounts while there for personal purchases AND for the tickets to Olympic events (they are NOT kidding about MC not accepted, only Visa)

That same message was given to my CC company at the time too (Cap 1, two cards, BOTH MC, not Visa).

See where this is going?

WF screwed up.  While standing at the ticket counter with my pretty WF Visa, I was declined for the GOLD MEDAL round of men's hockey, AND the closing ceremonies.

It did get straightened out but it is really hard to do so from 7000 miles away.  Also, my Cap 1 cards had no issue... they just are not accepted by IOC.

Call!

Message 6 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would always call unless it's American Express... they don't really want to hear from you for things like travel.

Message 7 of 27
amp0804
Regular Contributor

Calling is not needed anymore, maybe 8-10 years ago. The reason why you dont need to tell them is because

they only way they consider fraud of any sort is if your on vacation and your making purchases then out of no

where in between the timeline your away you start having charges accross the other side of the country they get

suspicious. Amex, Citi and Chase have all said this to me when I have called over the years to let them know. Now I dont call

anymore and I dont have any problems.

Message 8 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@amp0804 wrote:

Calling is not needed anymore, maybe 8-10 years ago. The reason why you dont need to tell them is because

they only way they consider fraud of any sort is if your on vacation and your making purchases then out of no

where in between the timeline your away you start having charges accross the other side of the country they get

suspicious. Amex, Citi and Chase have all said this to me when I have called over the years to let them know. Now I dont call

anymore and I dont have any problems.

I disagree... Citi blocked my account after just a couple charges in NYC

Chase had me on the phone for 45 minutes in the middle of Coach doing security questions that came from stuff that was over 10 years old... mind you it was over a 7k charge but none the less...

Amex is the only card I have ever carried that told me to stop calling when I'm going to be traveling and they have never shut my account off while traveling.

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@amp0804 wrote:

Calling is not needed anymore, maybe 8-10 years ago.

Wrong.  I traveled two years ago to Mexico and my card was flagged.

Call.  With identity theft running rampant, let the card company beware so YOU don't end up standing there feeling like a dolt.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.