Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call cards companies before travel?

tag
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

Re: Call cards companies before travel?

The only time I've seen a flag was when my friends and I drove from Boston to Florida two years ago. Discover called my friend due to the fact his card was being used as we drove down the east coast of the U.S. (only stopping for gas/food) leading to a few transactions in a relatively short amount of time over a couple states.

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 21 of 27
Karatz
Frequent Contributor

I did that a few times driving from LA to Portland. I would have been in trouble had the fillup times been reported to the CHP/OHP Smiley Tongue

TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009
Message 22 of 27
john398
Senior Contributor

I just noticed you can let capital one know of travel online, just click  modify features than slect your services than select travel

Message 23 of 27
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

Better safe than sorry, though, I've never called when traveling within the United States. I did call when I was traveling internationally.

Message 24 of 27
n777ua
Established Contributor

AMEX told me to quit calling for travel. I did call one more time, however, to ask them to PLEASE not shut off my card on NYC (like they do every other time). I said I WILL be going there, I promise its me. DW to Tiffany's, me to cashier, Amex declined. Argggghhhhhhh.
About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 25 of 27
p-
Valued Contributor

I was driving from NY to Cali and charged my WF card in 3 states all in the same day.  I woke up the next morning unable to gas up, and had to call fraud dept. to get unlocked.  It was a PITA.  I would definitely make the call, just in case it saves a little time and hassle during your vacation.  You could also, or instead, ask them for a direct number or extension to the fraud department, program that into your phone.  That way if something does happen you can get it right away without going through the customer service maze.  

Message 26 of 27
vish1
Valued Contributor

It must depend on card company. I recently took a driving trip from boston to DC and used my citi AA card in MA, CT, NY, NJ, DE, DC, VA, MD in 2 days and had no issues. This was my experience, but I agree with your point about having the phone number of fraud department handy. I always carry atlear 2-3 cards when I travel coz if my card was to get blocked, the fraud departments don't work round the clock.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.