Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Called Barclays Credit Analyst ah...they are rude

tag
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Re: Called Barclays Credit Analyst ah...they are rude

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I don't know about rude, but they stick to policies very much. Unlike other issuers who don't care about inquiries or new accounts, Barclays does. They want people who are going to use their cards frequently and heavily. They don't want people who are applying for bonuses and won't use the cards much after that. They don't usually give high limits to people they don't have a relationship with and aren't likely to give large increases if you don't use the card a lot.

Kinda hard to use a card with a $2K limit heavily and not dump your UTL without making multiple payments a month. I'm not making multiple payments a month anymore unless AMEX calls me and tells me to lay off the Platinum until I pay (yet to happen). If they want me to use a card often and heavy I'm the guy but give me a decent limit - and that was the conversation I had with the analyst. Want to see $2K per month x 12 months? Give me $10K limit. Or keep the card which will be the path once I hit 9 months. I can't wait for that call. I hope they offer me a retention bonus like AMEX. I will gladly turn it down. 

Message 11 of 28
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I don't know about rude, but they stick to policies very much. Sometimes with other issuers you can hang up and get another analyst to approve, but it doesn't seem to work with Barclays. Unlike other issuers who don't care about inquiries or new accounts, Barclays does. They want people who are going to use their cards frequently and heavily. They don't want people who are applying for bonuses and won't use the cards much after that. They don't usually give high limits to people they don't have a relationship with and aren't likely to give large increases if you don't use the card a lot.

Smiley Surprised Nail it.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 12 of 28
sdotlow
Established Member

I called Barclays the other day to discuss a possible product change on my Barclays Apple card.  I was advised that they do not do product changes and that I would have to reapply.  The rep on the phone was very nice and helpful.  They coulnd't accomodate my request but I was pleased with the experience.  Which is infinitely more than I can say for Capital One.  Canceled my Capital One card as a result of their horrid customer service.

Amex CS scores - EX-745 / EQ-745 / TU-767 (6/28/13)
BankAmericard Cash Rewards - 10k, MAFCU Visa Rewards - 10k, Chase Freedom - 2500, Discover IT - 2000, Barclay Apple - 2000, AMEX BCE - 2000
Gardening as of 6/28/13
Message 13 of 28
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I don't know about rude, but they stick to policies very much. Unlike other issuers who don't care about inquiries or new accounts, Barclays does. They want people who are going to use their cards frequently and heavily. They don't want people who are applying for bonuses and won't use the cards much after that. They don't usually give high limits to people they don't have a relationship with and aren't likely to give large increases if you don't use the card a lot.

Kinda hard to use a card with a $2K limit heavily and not dump your UTL without making multiple payments a month. I'm not making multiple payments a month anymore unless AMEX calls me and tells me to lay off the Platinum until I pay (yet to happen). If they want me to use a card often and heavy I'm the guy but give me a decent limit - and that was the conversation I had with the analyst. Want to see $2K per month x 12 months? Give me $10K limit. Or keep the card which will be the path once I hit 9 months. I can't wait for that call. I hope they offer me a retention bonus like AMEX. I will gladly turn it down. 

There are so many conflicting things on there...many posts about how great Barclays is with Recon.  I never recon'd with them so I can't speak to that element of their customer service.  Ultimately, there are enough posts on here that offer both praise and issue with almost every bank...I guess the luck of the draw in terms of what agent you get on the phone.

Message 14 of 28
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@sdotlow wrote:

I called Barclays the other day to discuss a possible product change on my Barclays Apple card.  I was advised that they do not do product changes and that I would have to reapply.  The rep on the phone was very nice and helpful.  They coulnd't accomodate my request but I was pleased with the experience.  Which is infinitely more than I can say for Capital One.  Canceled my Capital One card as a result of their horrid customer service.

I was told by a BC rep that you can still get the 0% interest on qualifying apple products by calling and asking them to reinstate the promo. Just a FYI.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 15 of 28
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

So what is the problem here OP? I'm sure the community wanted to know. Did the outcome not in your favor, which made the rep dude?

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 16 of 28
Open123
Super Contributor

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

There are so many conflicting things on there...many posts about how great Barclays is with Recon.  

In general, I've noticed the following:

Fee waiver or Recon success = Great customer service!  Love these guys!

No fee waiver or Recon decline = Worst customer service ever!  All they say is NO!

Of course, I suppose there are "exceptions" where one could be utterly refused a few waiver and declined on every recon who can still be objective enough to praise the politeness of a stern rejection.

Message 17 of 28
orl2185
Established Contributor

Re: Called Barclays Credit Analyst ah..They are rude

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I don't know about rude, but they stick to policies very much. Sometimes with other issuers you can hang up and get another analyst to approve, but it doesn't seem to work with Barclays. Unlike other issuers who don't care about inquiries or new accounts, Barclays does. They want people who are going to use their cards frequently and heavily. They don't want people who are applying for bonuses and won't use the cards much after that. They don't usually give high limits to people they don't have a relationship with and aren't likely to give large increases if you don't use the card a lot.

I'm always flabbergasted when I read post about not getting cli unless creditor sees lots of usage. Currently have both NFL SIG,  K along with Travelocity Amex, K as well with not much usage. I don't use many cards period and always getting increases. SMH!!!

Message 18 of 28
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

There are so many conflicting things on there...many posts about how great Barclays is with Recon.  

No fee waiver or Recon decline = Worst customer service ever!  All they say is NO!

Of course, I suppose there are "exceptions" where one could be utterly refused a few waiver and declined on every recon who can still be objective enough to praise the politeness of a stern rejection.

I agree...I've been both approved and rejected for various things with CCCs over the last few years...for the most part though, I've been happy with the people I've dealt with.  Sure, some people are more friendly than others.  And sure, I'm frustrated when I'm rejected.  But overall, I've been respectful of them and they have of me.  Whenever I do get declined for something, I try to ask what I can do to better my situation in 3 months, 6 months, a year, etc...that's one way I measure good CS.

Anyway, I'll take a CS from a credit card company over one from the cable company any day of the week.

Message 19 of 28
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

Not all the time. I called BoA asking for a rate decrease and one guy was really rude about the answer and the other guy was super nice and explained why they couldn't at the time and gave me direction on how to handle my request in the future. So you can receive a no and still be given great service.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.