Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Called Barclays Credit Analyst ah...they are rude

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Called Barclays Credit Analyst ah...they are rude

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

Anyway, I'll take a CS from a credit card company over one from the cable company any day of the week.

Aint that the truth.  

Message 21 of 28
Contributor

Barclays CS has been merely average for me - not great, but not horrible, either. Their recon department is decent enough. I'm still irked that they won't give me an auto-CLI though. 

$1500            $1500             $2500             $2500             NPSL         
Starting EQ: 646 - Current EQ: 693 - Goal EQ for 12/2013: >720
Gardening from 7/2013 until 1/2014
Message 22 of 28
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: Called Barclays Credit Analyst ah..They are rude

@scenery_guy wrote:

Kinda hard to use a card with a $2K limit heavily and not dump your UTL without making multiple payments a month. I'm not making multiple payments a month anymore unless AMEX calls me and tells me to lay off the Platinum until I pay (yet to happen). If they want me to use a card often and heavy I'm the guy but give me a decent limit - and that was the conversation I had with the analyst. Want to see $2K per month x 12 months? Give me $10K limit. Or keep the card which will be the path once I hit 9 months. I can't wait for that call. I hope they offer me a retention bonus like AMEX. I will gladly turn it down. 

I understand that. I gave up asking for an increase from Barclays and have received two increases without asking for them, so I'll just let them increase it on their own from now on.

@Open123 wrote:

In general, I've noticed the following:

Fee waiver or Recon success = Great customer service!  Love these guys!

No fee waiver or Recon decline = Worst customer service ever!  All they say is NO!

Of course, I suppose there are "exceptions" where one could be utterly refused a few waiver and declined on every recon who can still be objective enough to praise the politeness of a stern rejection.

LOL. It's the same with an approval or denial. Most of the time if someone is denied they will say they hate the lender and didn't really want the card anyway, but will praise them if they are approved.

@orl2185 wrote:

I'm always flabbergasted when I read post about not getting cli unless creditor sees lots of usage. Currently have both NFL SIG,  K along with Travelocity Amex, K as well with not much usage. I don't use many cards period and always getting increases. SMH!!!

Consider yourself lucky. There are plenty of people who have been told they don't use the card enough so Barclays will not increase their limit.

Message 23 of 28
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

Anyway, I'll take a CS from a credit card company over one from the cable company any day of the week.

Aint that the truth.  

Smiley Very Happy

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 24 of 28
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I used to use my card a lot and never got a CLI, so I decided to simply stop using it.

They can be rude at times, so I think it depends on the CSR or analyst.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 25 of 28
enharu
Super Contributor

Here's my own personal experience.... I applied and got a pending message. Called recon, and basically had to verify identity and was also asked some questions about my oldest trade line being in dispute.

The analyst I spoke to certainly wasn't exactly what one would consider as friendly, but certainly not rude. Chase CSRs and recons dept seem to be a little more chatty and friendly, and sometimes there will be a bit of sidetracking here and there talking about non-related stuff. The Barclays analyst that I spoke to gave me the impression that I was talking to a computer; he asks me a question, I provide an answer, and that is it.

I never had to appeal an app though, and most of my calls to recons were to either verify ID to get approved or to ask for a higher CL, so I haven't been grilled by any analyst yet over the phone.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 26 of 28
HiLine
Blogger

@Open123 wrote:

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

There are so many conflicting things on there...many posts about how great Barclays is with Recon.  

In general, I've noticed the following:

Fee waiver or Recon success = Great customer service!  Love these guys!

No fee waiver or Recon decline = Worst customer service ever!  All they say is NO!

Of course, I suppose there are "exceptions" where one could be utterly refused a few waiver and declined on every recon who can still be objective enough to praise the politeness of a stern rejection.

As someone who has had called multiple recon departments with mixed success, I can testify that Barclays is not as pleasant to talk to as other lenders I've spoken with. I have only called Barclays 3 times, so obviously my experience may not be representative, but one thing I noticed is that the Barclays credit analysts' tones do not sound friendly or co-operative. When you try to lighten the mood by making a joke or ask about the weather, they don't respond. It sometimes feels like talking to a wall; the credit analyst starts with saying 'I cannot approve you because you have x number of inquiries' or something along that line, then no matter how hard you try to explain the reason for those inquiries they will repeat the exact same thing. And they do not sound like they're talking to you or working with you. Maybe it's their way of dealing with customers that don't meet their basic underwriting standards, I don't know.

Chase, on the other hand, is very polite. You feel respected when you talk to them. They sound like they're trying to help you, even though I hate their 3-4 minutes on hold. They even give  you advice and encourage you to apply again in the future. Even though I was denied by them as well, I got of the phone feeling optimistic.

So the end result was the same, but I'd rather be treated the Chase way than the Barclays way.

Message 27 of 28
sdotlow
Established Member

I've had wonderful experiences with BofA CS.  They've been very helpful and regardless of if I get my way or not, they've been very friendly and personable.

As I stated before, the woman I spoke to with Barclays was super friendly and personable.  Maybe they use different call centers?  Maybe some people hate their jobs more than others?  Who knows.

Capital One on the other hand has always been horrible in my 7 years of dealing with them.  Never again will I touch one of their products or have any business with them.

Edit: And to the person that mentioned the offer for the 0% APR again on the Barclays Apple card, yeah she offered me that.  I no longer purchase Apple products and have no interest in using this card as is. She was super friendly though! 

Amex CS scores - EX-745 / EQ-745 / TU-767 (6/28/13)
BankAmericard Cash Rewards - 10k, MAFCU Visa Rewards - 10k, Chase Freedom - 2500, Discover IT - 2000, Barclay Apple - 2000, AMEX BCE - 2000
Gardening as of 6/28/13
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.