cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling all Alliant credit union members who have a checking/savings acct & a credit card with them

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Calling all Alliant credit union members who have a checking/savings acct & a credit card wi

Never fear on MF when you ask a question you get as many yes's and no's from members, but screenshots trump all BS on the forum.

Member giving inaccurate wrong information.no.jpg

Member giving correct info and PROVING his statements with screenshots. Screenshots are your friend and always use them when you answer or ask questions. 

original.png

Screenshots are the TRUTH!  Smiley Very Happy

Thanks so much @Mikelo22 for providing the Alliant back office screenshot and the great intel.

Now we have actual verifiable proof that Alliant will allow a person up to 25% of your credit limit in a cash advance (non-ATM) and they set limits of up to $2,500 per day whereas NFCU I believe is 50% of your credit card limit and I know PenFed, RBFCU and Unify allow the full 100% of your credit limits. 

Message 11 of 22
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

Re: Calling all Alliant credit union members who have a checking/savings acct & a credit card wi

@Mikelo22 thank you for the Info!!
Message 12 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

They aren't a credit union, but USAA will also let you get a cash advance for up to $2500 deposited into your USAA checking account, for no fee.

Note that interest does start accruing immediately, though.

usaaadvance.jpg

Edited to add:  While I have taken advantage of this a couple of times, I paid it back quickly (once by doing a no-fee BT to NFCU), and the amounts were $1k and $1.5k.  I honestly wouldn't recommend maxing out the credit line routinely, as that has caused issues for other people with some banks. 

One thread that comes to mind is a person who got all their Capital One accounts shut down because he repeatedly did cash advances to one of his cards for a family member.  Even though he paid it back quickly, the repetition got him flagged for money laundering, and Capital One simply closed all of his accounts rather than deal with that possibility.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Capital-One-Just-Closed-All-4-of-My-Cards/td-p/4362242

Just my 2¢.  Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UB

But you must be military affiliated/family otherwise USAA won't allow you access to their credit or insurance products. They'll allow to open a savings account and maybe a checking account but that's all. Unless they've drastically changed that policy.

Unlike with NFCU or PenFed there are no loops holes for people like me that have no living military people in their immediate family or household to get into USAA.

P.S USAA Bank is a bank NOT a credit union. Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous

But you must be military affiliated/family otherwise USAA won't allow you access to their credit or insurance products. They'll allow to open a savings account and maybe a checking account but that's all. Unless they've drastically changed that policy.

Unlike with NFCU or PenFed there are no loops holes for people like me that have no living military people in their immediate family or household to get into USAA.

P.S USAA Bank is a bank NOT a credit union. Smiley Very Happy

I got in with USAA back when their banking products were available to everybody. 

And you're exactly right about them being a bank... thus my disclaimer at the beginning of my post.  Smiley Wink

I only mention it here since they seem to be an outlier when it comes to banks who allow no-fee cash advances. 

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mea Culpa man.

I am trying to juggle way too much at the witching hour by reading and replying to posts while reading emails while watching an episode of Sons of Anarchy on Netflix.

Sadly, banking and insurance products are off limits now to outsiders like myself with USAA. Smiley Sad
Message 16 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Mea Culpa man.

I am trying to juggle way too much at the witching hour by reading and replying to posts while reading emails while watching an episode of Sons of Anarchy on Netflix.

Sadly, banking and insurance products are off limits now to outsiders like myself with USAA. Smiley Sad

No problem my friend, it happens!  Smiley Wink

I'm hoping at some point USAA will change their criteria for membership; at the moment I'm locked out from their insurance as well until my father purchases an insurance policy with them.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon.  USAA does have a history of 'adjusting' their criteria for membership, though, so there's hope for us yet!

Back on topic, be sure to check out the link I put at the bottom of my post (I edited the post to add it).  It's an interesting turn of events that could happen if a bank gets the wrong idea about cash advances, especially if they are frequent and PIF often.  That thread is specific to Capital One, but I would imagine under similar circumstances other lenders might behave similarly.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like I said before on posts there is a HUGE night and day difference in how lenders look at and code cash transactions if someone is randomly hitting up ATM's for cash advances constantly (I don't and wouldn't ever do that) and a credit union that you already have a checking and/or savings account with that has a built-in cash advance back office transfer feature that they provide you on a credit card to transfer funds to an internal account that you have with them. See the BIG difference?

Do that and you're good to go as long as you pay it back in full in a timely matter of say 1-3 months or at least most of it in a short time period of that length. 

That is why I am so hell bent on finding as many of these little credit union credit card cash gems as possibe because regular credit cards (AMEX, Chase, Cap1, BOA, WF, Discover, etc.) are completely useless to me for what I'm trying to accomplish. 

Trust me it's all part of the plan. Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Like I said before on posts there is a HUGE night and day difference in how lenders look at and code cash transactions if someone is randomly hitting up ATM's for cash advances constantly (I don't and wouldn't ever do that) and a credit union that you already have a checking and/or savings account with that has a built-in cash advance back office transfer feature that they provide you on a credit card to transfer funds to an internal account that you have with them. See the BIG difference?

Do that and you're good to go as long as you pay it back in full in a timely matter of say 1-3 months or at least most of it in a short time period of that length. 

That is why I am so hell bent on finding as many of these little credit union credit card cash gems as possibe because regular credit cards (AMEX, Chase, Cap1, BOA, WF, Discover, etc.) are completely useless to me for what I'm trying to accomplish. 

Trust me it's all part of the plan. Smiley Very Happy

I'm not arguing with you... and I do see the difference (you don't have to convince me... LOL). 

I just hope the banks/CUs will 'see' things the way you and I do.  Smiley Wink

I've found that what is considered completely acceptable at one bank/CU can sometimes set off alarms at others, and many times there's no way to know in advance (since that would defeat the purpose). 

It sounds like in any case you will have (or already have) relationships with multiple banks/credit unions, so if one of them were to have an issue you would still be OK.

Hopefully other folks on here will know of other CUs (or banks?) that have the specific features you're looking for.  Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

UB

I never thought you were arguing with me.

Arguing with someone on the internet is like trying to win an argument with a concrete wall that you're banging your head against as hard as you can. Smiley Very Happy

They do I've been doing it for awhile and it's not some weird thing it's just a different way then what most people use credit cards for.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.