Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling all USAA Members!!

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Calling all USAA Members!!

@webhopper wrote:
I'm going to take advantage of my employers employee stock purchase program... I can do the stock purchase of up to 10k per year and get back 1/3 of that in cash free. But I have to hold the stock for 3 yrs minimum.

My emploeyers financial position is very strong and their stock yields a 10 cent per share income monthly.

Does anyone use a USAA brokerage account? Does it make you more likely to be approved for their credit cards? For me; reviews are good for USAA in particular and I'm only buying this single stock...

Bottom line is that I trust usaa more with my money than the other online brokerages available.

Anyone have feedback or want to share their experiences?? Thanks!

Webby,

Most ESPP (employee stock purchase plans, sorry) typically put the shares into an escrow account of some sort, look into the details first before seeing whether the brokerage account is immediately necessary.  At a minimum it's a two step process, where you're going to have to transfer the shares into the brokerage account, but with that 3 year clause, I can't see their allowing you to do that immediately.

There's some sneaky accounting reasons for that around company 401K's and ESPP's regarding who can actually claim it as an asset or a financial reserve, especially when it ties into vesting schedules.  I don't know the details and it's not really worth finding out, but there's generally an incentive for companies to keep such programs in their own  sphere rather than immediately transferring it out.

        
Message 11 of 13
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@mojobones89 wrote:

idk about the whole stocks and broker area but as far as their cc's,i got approved when i open an account with them....a decent starting off limit but besides that there is nothing special about a  usaa cc....IMO

@suebee123 wrote:

I have their brokerage account and IRA.  Along with credit cards and an installment loan.  They are my favorite bank.  Super easy to set up and manage.  

I saw they were doing EMV Chips... Are they doing this for the Affiliate CCs as well?

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 12 of 13
Open123
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Most ESPP (employee stock purchase plans, sorry) typically put the shares into an escrow account of some sort, look into the details first before seeing whether the brokerage account is immediately necessary.  At a minimum it's a two step process, where you're going to have to transfer the shares into the brokerage account, but with that 3 year clause, I can't see their allowing you to do that immediately.

Right, and depending on the type of shares, the portion of the stock price where it had been "discounted" is counted as ordinary income and will be taxable regardless if the shares were to be worthless in 3 years.  There is also unique long-term and short term capital gains treatments for the shares depending if they were purchased, purchased at under market valuation or outright gifted as a bonus.

Not terribly complex, but it is important to realize the type of ESPP one is receiving and plan accordingly.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.