Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling all Unicorns!

tag
DaveinSC
Contributor

Calling all Unicorns!

Let's hear from you (which includes me) AMEX ZYNC card holders out there. Still have it? Still love it? Traded it in for something more green, gold or platinum colored?

You'll have to pry mine from my cold dead hand. Still got it, still taking advantage of all of it's small perks and still LOVING the unique-ness of it.

EQ: 850 (01/2018)
TU: 830 (1/2018)
EXP: 825 (06/2018)
USAA Sig. VISA (7.25%) - AMEX Zync (NPSL)- AMEX Everyday (14.99%)- NFCU VISA Signature (10.65%) - Simmons First National Bank VISA (8.25%) - Citi Thank You Rewards Mastercard (12.65%)-USAA "Limitless" Cashback Rewards VISA Signature (14.45%)-AMEX Cash Magnet (13.25%)
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: Calling all Unicorns!

@DaveinSC wrote:

Let's hear from you (which includes me) AMEX ZYNC card holders out there. Still have it? Still love it? Traded it in for something more green, gold or platinum colored?

You'll have to pry mine from my cold dead hand. Still got it, still taking advantage of all of it's small perks and still LOVING the unique-ness of it.

I miss my Zync. I think I was approved for it back in early/mid 2010. It was my first card ever with Amex. Sure wish I would have kept it. 

Message 2 of 21
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I still have my AmEx Zync that I got as a college student in 2010. Strangely, my Zync gets the most useful AmEx offers out of all of my cards with them. As such, it continues to easily defray the $25 AF. I don't see much value in the AmEx Green card, but the Zync is definitely one I have no issue keeping around.

Lastly, I agree that the card is very unique and I really like the appearance of the card. Unfortunately, it gets more suspicious looks from cashiers than I'd like. I've even been asked if the card was real at one point...

Message 3 of 21
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Still love my Zync which "had" a $200 hard limit since 2011... I was a newbie back then and applied the same day I purchased a car, ugghh!!!  Only used it to auto-pay Nextflix over the years.  These cards are NO LONGER periodically reviewed per AMEX since discontinued in 2013 to new applicants.  Four months ago - July 2016, I'd proven and convinced their Responsible Lending department that a $200 hard limit do not allow 2 back-to-back transactions as merchants apply temporary authorizations up to $100 -- easy math, can't perform 2 transactions if temp auths are taking up the funds (almost left me stranded - not really, but only for testing purposes).  Ultimately, AMEX set the new limit to $1,000 and provided a one-time courtesy on my Annual Fee for my troubles (I didn't ask for credit as it's only 25 bucks, but kindly accepted).  The door is open for all of us Hard-Limit customers to have more spending power without any inconvenience.  Zync keeps up with the times with EMV chip.

Additional Notes about the hard-limit ZYNC cards:

1.  If you overpay your account, wait 7-days, then you can use those funds for large purchases.  Paid $2200 and checked the Spending Link 7-days later to see my amounts were approved, paid for my cruise ticket $1450.  Kids school clothes, etc. over the course of that month, then No Bill Due -- overpaid, of course.

2.  If you need emergency funds immediately, ask "Account Services" to add a temporary $xxx.xx to your account which is good for a single swipe within 12-18 hours -- just don't abuse this too many times within one year.  You do not need to give an over-the-top emergency, mine was "need to return a rental car and gas station also need to place a $100 authorization no matter inside or pay at the pump in Michigan (ergo, the proven two transactions test).

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's a Zync?
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
What's a Zync?

It was a type of Amex card that had a unique design and features that is no longer being offered.

Message 6 of 21
DaveinSC
Contributor

eeRe: Calling all Unicorns!

The American Express Zync card was a "starter" American Express card which the company offered between the years of 2009- 2013. It had/has a very modest AF of $25.00, and had an array of small feature "packs" which could be added to the card for certain lifestyle spending hablits. These packs were mostly all discontinued as the card's popularity seemed to wane, and AMEX stopped accepting new applications for it in approximately 2013. I speculate some users PC'd to other more feature laden AMEX cards when they outgrew the Zync "welcome to the AMEX family" card.

What was most unique about the card, is in addition to offering most ALL AMEX membership features including rewards points ($1.00/point), was it's lovely sparkling white color, hence the name "unicorn'. That, and it's now as rare as the fabled beast. There are probably more AMEX Centurion cards out there than there are remaining Zync cards. Amex continues to support and renew it.

According to Wikipedia: In 2009, American Express introduced the ZYNC charge card. White in color, this card was created for people in their 20s and 30s. American Express is no longer taking applications for the ZYNC charge card.

USAA Sig. VISA (7.25%) - AMEX Zync (NPSL)- AMEX Everyday (14.99%)- NFCU VISA Signature (10.65%) - Simmons First National Bank VISA (8.25%) - Citi Thank You Rewards Mastercard (12.65%)-USAA "Limitless" Cashback Rewards VISA Signature (14.45%)-AMEX Cash Magnet (13.25%)
Message 7 of 21
DaveinSC
Contributor

Re: eeRe: Calling all Unicorns!

It appears that AMEX in Australia continues to offer the Zync card under another name: AMEX Essentials credit card. It's the same card blank, but this Essentials card is a credit card, and not a charge card. Interesting!

https://www.americanexpress.com/au/content/essential-credit-card/cm/?intlink=au-amex-cardshop-carous...Australia's AMEX Essentials Credit Card

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the ZYNC was around today, I'd probably app for it.
Message 9 of 21
jamie123
Valued Contributor

I was just starting to rebuild my credit back in 2012. I apped for and received the AMEX Zync with a hard limit of $500 in September of 2012. They quit accepting apps for the Zync in October of 2012 so I was one of the last ones to get the card.

I still ,have the card and it still has a $500 limit. I use it for all my reccuring subscriptions like Netflix, Cell Phone, Cable and other such bills. I kind of like the $500 hard limit in that instance in case any of those retailers should be compromised it is only a $500 limit.

As far as I understand, you can't get another AMEX card if you have the hard limit Zync card. You have to close the Zync card a month before apping for another AMEX card or you will be automatically denied.

I have moved on with other cards like my Discover and Cap1 QS that have $20K+ CLs. Does anybody have a hard limit Zync along with another AMEX card?

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.