cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling reconsideration line to get a higher credit limit on a new approved card

tag
MrValentino

Calling reconsideration line to get a higher credit limit on a new approved card

I recently decided to finally sign up for a credit card after working on improving my credit scores and got approved for $4500. I know it may be a little too optimistic, but I was hoping for at least 10k. What I would like to know is if there is any reason I should NOT call the credit reconsideration line and ask to get a higher credit limit on a card I was just approved (haven't received card yet). This is the Citi Thank  You Preferred Card. Also, if there is any advice on getting them to go forward with the credit limit increase.

My scores as of last month:

Equifax: 769

TransUnion: 744

Experian: 734

100% on time payments.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Calling reconsideration line to get a higher credit limit on a new approved card

Welcome to the forum. Can you shed more light on your existing cc portfolio?
Message 2 of 6
MrValentino

Re: Calling reconsideration line to get a higher credit limit on a new approved card

Hello and thanks. Please let me know what kind of info you need.

Message 3 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@MrValentino wrote:

I recently decided to finally sign up for a credit card after working on improving my credit scores and got approved for $4500. I know it may be a little too optimistic, but I was hoping for at least 10k. What I would like to know is if there is any reason I should NOT call the credit reconsideration line and ask to get a higher credit limit on a card I was just approved (haven't received card yet). This is the Citi Thank  You Preferred Card. Also, if there is any advice on getting them to go forward with the credit limit increase.

My scores as of last month:

Equifax: 769

TransUnion: 744

Experian: 734

100% on time payments.

Thanks.

If your overall profile (including income, etc.) has not changed substantially from when originally approved, then there will be a slim chance for any CLI reconsideration.  Citi pretty much sticks to the original CL decision, unlike Chase, Barclays or other lenders who may have some more flexibility from the get-go.

You can always try contacting them, but it will be another HP if not 2, and you may need to provide them with additonal information (including a copy of your updated CR) in the event that it would differ from their records.

Best suggestion, depending on your approach, use the card and see if within a period of 6-12 months you receive an auto-CLI (based on usage and other factors).  Otherwise, you can always submit a CLI request within that timeframe.

Message 5 of 6
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yeah... Citi is Chiti in that regard. I think they can change the decision but they never want to; it prob requres them to go thru a few diff prompts and all of Citi's employees seem lazy as hell ime
If you need a good 0% offer, I'd recommend BOA...
My recent experience with them was this:
Instantly approved on Exp at 694 for $3500
Called Credit Analyst, requested $15k, she cli'ed to $10k very nicely by hp'ing TU at 705.
The same day I called to ask about a BT; the rep said if I did a direct deposit right then and there she could extend my 0% to Jan 2015 instead of Dec 2015. I accepted- so 16 mos 0% and 3% fee. $9400 will be in my checking account by Sept 27th. Paying off 4-5 othe cards w that!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.