cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can AMEX Charge Cards have a Hard limit??

tag
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

Can AMEX Charge Cards have a Hard limit??

I've seen it mentioned a few times on here about having a limit on their AMEX Charge Card (not the revolver).  One person mentioned they had a hard limit, but it was eventually removed.

This made me think because I have an AMEX Green Card with NPSL; however, at this time they do not allow me to charge anymore than $2,000 (according to the Will My charges be approved). Although I haven't needed to charge anymore than about $1500, it was my understanding that AMEX NPSL charges go by your spending habits/credit reports etc.. and that over time the amount you are allowed to charge can grow, but I was unaware that there could be a hard limit on it. 

How would one find out if they have a hard limit? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Can AMEX Charge Cards have a Hard limit??

@Fresh-Start wrote:

I've seen it mentioned a few times on here about having a limit on their AMEX Charge Card (not the revolver).  One person mentioned they had a hard limit, but it was eventually removed.

This made me think because I have an AMEX Green Card with NPSL; however, at they do not allow me to charge anymore than $2,000 (according to the Will My charges be approved). Although I haven't needed to charge anymore than about $1500, it was my understanding that AMEX NPSL charges go by your spending habits/credit reports etc.. and that over the amount they allow you to charge can grow, but I was unaware that there could be a hard limit on it. 

How would one find out if they have a hard limit? Or am I misunderstanding something?

usually a hard limit will only be imposed as a result of a financial review.

Don't worry too much about it and just use the card as you would normally.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 5
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@Fresh-Start wrote:

This made me think because I have an AMEX Green Card with NPSL; however, at they do not allow me to charge anymore than $2,000 (according to the Will My charges be approved). Although I haven't needed to charge anymore than about $1500, it was my understanding that AMEX NPSL charges go by your spending habits/credit reports etc.. and that over the amount they allow you to charge can grow, but I was unaware that there could be a hard limit on it. 

usually a hard limit will only be imposed as a result of a financial review.

Don't worry too much about it and just use the card as you would normally.

Got it!!!! Whew!Smiley Happy  Thank you for the info!

Message 3 of 5
awp317
Frequent Contributor

Yes, My platinum was given a hard limit of 17,900 very early in 13, after a while I got it tripled to 53,700. Then online it actually acted like a revolver showing my balance and CL right below it.  Then one day I was paying my bill online and noticed it was back to NPSL. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 4 of 5
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

@awp317 wrote:

Yes, My platinum was given a hard limit of 17,900 very early in 13, after a while I got it tripled to 53,700. Then online it actually acted like a revolver showing my balance and CL right below it.  Then one day I was paying my bill online and noticed it was back to NPSL. 

Interesting and good to know. Thank you for sharing.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.