cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Americans get international credit cards from foreign banks?

tag
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Can Americans get international credit cards from foreign banks?

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@CreditPacMan wrote:

I think you can't .. but anyway we have a ton of options here in the US and others dream of having the great cards we have offered here!

^^^^This. Foreign cards, higher apr's, high income qualifications (verified), lesser rewards.  Check out the cap one Costco card for Canada, no want.  There is more competition here.  Looser bank regs (despite the CFPB).  I sometimes feel for the Brits and EU folks.

+1. I can't emphasize this enough. US cards are generally speaking, vastly superior to what is available in many other countries. In some cases, cards that are openly available to everyone in the US (Amex platinum) are by invitation only (such as in Singapore). For example here the AF for the Amex platinum is $1,200 compared to $450 in the US.

I have cards from 2 countries, and I wish I didn't have to. The offerings frankly pale in comparison to their US counterparts.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@CreditPacMan wrote:

I think you can't .. but anyway we have a ton of options here in the US and others dream of having the great cards we have offered here!

^^^^This. Foreign cards, higher apr's, high income qualifications (verified), lesser rewards.  Check out the cap one Costco card for Canada, no want.  There is more competition here.  Looser bank regs (despite the CFPB).  I sometimes feel for the Brits and EU folks.

+1. I can't emphasize this enough. US cards are generally speaking, vastly superior to what is available in many other countries. In some cases, cards that are openly available to everyone in the US (Amex platinum) are by invitation only (such as in Singapore). For example here the AF for the Amex platinum is $1,200 compared to $450 in the US.

I have cards from 2 countries, and I wish I didn't have to. The offerings frankly pale in comparison to their US counterparts.

I think debit is a much bigger thing elsewhere too so people don't feel like they need credit cards as much. Here debit cards never really were all that usable until they started getting Visa and MasterCard logos, never mind the significantly worse (for the consumer) fraud liability rules.

Message 22 of 30
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Speaking of foreign issuers, a legit UnionPay card might be kinda neat. I don't think any US bank issues those.

Discover runs on UnionPay when in China/Asia.   It isn't a UnionPay card, but they have a reciprocal agreement.

Message 23 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@CreditPacMan wrote:

Do any US cards have 38 month 0% period though?

Message 24 of 30
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@CreditPacMan wrote:

Do any US cards have 38 month 0% period though?

I'm not sure, but to be blunt I really don't care about 0% periods nor APRs. When you always PIF, interest rates become irrelevant.

I did say generally speaking in my post above.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 25 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

'm not sure, but to be blunt I really don't care about 0% periods nor APRs. When you always PIF, interest rates become irrelevant.

I did say generally speaking in my post above.

Neither do I, but we daily see here people asking about 0% periods (and of course lowering APRs) so this isn't exactly an esoteric area.   And those UK cards are far longer than at least the majority of US ones (and probably longer than any), where 20 months is considered outstanding.

Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good question!

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your insight!

Any recommendations on institutions or card brands?

Message 28 of 30
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Some of these cards make Credit One look like a bargain! 195 quid AF with a 59.3%APR??? blink.gif  (I think I'll stick with AOD!)

HSBC593.png

Message 29 of 30
NRB525
Super Contributor

Ahhh! 2015!
Remember the sign up bonuses in those days? 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.