cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can CLI kill your growth on prime cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can CLI kill your growth on prime cards?

@Dustink wrote:

Mostly the problem comes when apping for an installment loan like a home, the lender will not like to see a bunch of extra credit cards.

This is a myth, propogated by talking heads in the industry that think credit cards are evil.

Open, available credit is a good thing, as long as you've shown that you use it wisely.  This type of thinking is for people that get all that credit and go nuts with it, buying things they cannot afford.

Available credit = positive

Used credit = negative

Message 21 of 27
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I have about 3 retail cards with low limits. They don't get used often.
I haven't had any problems growing my limit on my prime cards....
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 22 of 27
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
I have about 3 retail cards with low limits. They don't get used often.
I haven't had any problems growing my limit on my prime cards....
"with low limits" this isn't exactly what I was talking about. If I were a lender and saw a person with more available credit than income I would get worried. Granted, a long positive history could counter this. But my original question was more focused on people without a long established positive history.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 27
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Well... with short history; creditors have to be worried more about bust out fraud....
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 24 of 27
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

Mostly the problem comes when apping for an installment loan like a home, the lender will not like to see a bunch of extra credit cards.

This is a myth, propogated by talking heads in the industry that think credit cards are evil.

Open, available credit is a good thing, as long as you've shown that you use it wisely.  This type of thinking is for people that get all that credit and go nuts with it, buying things they cannot afford.

Used credit = negative

If somebody has $250k in limits but only a 60k income. The lender considers the question, what if they maxed everything out?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dustink wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

Used credit = negative

If somebody has $250k in limits but only a 60k income. The lender considers the question, what if they maxed everything out?

The point was mentioned that this question was aimed at people without a long established history.  They won't get those types of credit limits when first starting out.  You have to build up to it over time.  Outside of a few conservative credit unions, I simply don't see people reporting getting denied for anything for having too much available credit. 

Having said that, what I have seen many times is you reach your limit with a certain issuer.   For example, Chase does this quite often.  Someone has 3 chase cards with total limits of $50k.  They apply for a new one, get denied because of the open credit with that issuer.  You can call them and get them to move your credit around between the cards so that you now have 4 cards, but still $50k.  They don't much care that you have $100k open with Amex, because even if you max'd out your Amex cards, Chase is still limiting you to screwing them for the same $50k.  So while they will look at it, it matters much less than you think.

Message 26 of 27
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Actually, assuming no other expenses, someone with 60k in income could cover the minimum payment on 260k in debt, up to about 12% interest. Dti is calculated on monthly payments vs monthly income, not total owed. 

We also haven't mentioned assets. many people, even young ones, have assets that could be liquidated to settle debts, should a crisis occur. Finally, to the op, building big limits is a long term game. Nothing shows a bank you can be trusted with large limits like actually having large limits, regardless of source. If the only lenders willing to give you big limits are store cards, I still think you will be better of with those high limits than only low limits from traditional issuers.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.