Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Chase see your itemized receipts?

tag
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

Can Chase see your itemized receipts?

According to some on flyertalk, Amex can see your itemized receipts and some say Chase can as well: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-financial-review-help/td-p/2008177/page/4

I buy gift cards (about $1000/month) at the grocery stores to make it look "normal". I mix it in when I buy groceries. But if Chase can see my itemized receipts, there really is no point in buying them anymore. Anyone know? TIA

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Can Chase see your itemized receipts?

From what I know, citi is able as well. The CSR was able to list what I bought at best buy lol. I guess it depends on where you shop at. Places that have those newer register machines probably will allow lenders to see an itemized list of items you bought, whereas those places that are still using those old school Verifone systems probably just transmit over purchase amounts.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:
From what I know, citi is able as well. The CSR was able to list what I bought at best buy lol. I guess it depends on where you shop at. Places that have those newer register machines probably will allow lenders to see an itemized list of items you bought, whereas those places that are still using those old school Verifone systems probably just transmit over purchase amounts.

+1.

Personally I assume that all lenders can see my transactions, hence I put anything I deem remotely suspect on my stupid Orchard card as if C1 closes it I don't care.  If Amex and Citi can, it's an easy walk to say that BOFA and Chase can as they're all about the same as far as technical level goes in my experience.  Chase may even be ahead since they sell their own effective merchant transaction system (Paymentech) which is used at a non-trivial places that I use one of my Amexes at.  

As for gift cards, while they can see it, until they move to stamp it out, as long as you're not being flagged as an outlier in whatever account review routine they do, there's not much to really worry about.  I think it's people who push this behavior to the limit that wind up getting in trouble and it's only with certain lenders where there's more than a slap on the wrist.  Needle in a haystack principle.

        
Message 3 of 15
andre181
Established Contributor

I know from experience that Wells Fargo can see itemized receipts. 

When my WF credit card number was stolen, the rep on the phone was listing the items bought at a Best Buy in San Diego about 20 minutes before. Whoever got my account number gave it out to everybody because it was also being used in Michgan and Florida, and the rep was able to see almost every receipt except ones from restaurants. Most of the purchases were at big box retailers and supermarkets.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 4 of 15
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

Thanks for all the info!

Message 5 of 15
vagrants
Regular Contributor

A quick question...but I guess it's business CC related...I know Chase & AMEX offer uploaidng an image of receipts. If they already have the itemized information, what's the point?

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 6 of 15
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

That feature is for you, not them. If you bought thousands worth  of stuff it may be hard for you to remember what it was, so you can upload the receipt for reference later.

Message 7 of 15
vagrants
Regular Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

That feature is for you, not them. If you bought thousands worth  of stuff it may be hard for you to remember what it was, so you can upload the receipt for reference later.

Well, if it's for me, it's easier if they do it since they already have the 'itemized' information if the banks do not need special requests to see the 'itemized' information from venders. Takes time off of taking pictures, uploading images, etc.

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 8 of 15
Open123
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Personally I assume that all lenders can see my transactions, hence I put anything I deem remotely suspect on my stupid Orchard card as if C1 closes it I don't care. 

+1

I designate a card for my more my dollar store, walmart, late night liquor runs, and other assorted dubious purchases.

All things being equal, I see no reason to tempt fate by decreasing my "transactional score," if it indeed exists. It's like the old saying, "I've never believed in ghosts, but have been afraid of them all my life." It takes no effort just to seperate the transactions, and I derive no satisfaction from "making points for the sake of making points." 

It's easy enough to designate a card for such purchases, so why even have the possibility of adverse behavioral rating if it exists? In this case, discretion is certainly the better part of valor. It's always more prudent to choose our battles wisely; and, with Amex, if I were to choose a battle, it'll be for the moment I accidentally dropped by new tube amplifier down the stairs on the 91st day.

Message 9 of 15
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@vagrants wrote:

Well, if it's for me, it's easier if they do it since they already have the 'itemized' information if the banks do not need special requests to see the 'itemized' information from venders. Takes time off of taking pictures, uploading images, etc.

Ok, that makes sense. I've not used it so I don't know how difficult it is to do it.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.