cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Keep the Selecting the Same Category for Each Quarter?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I Keep the Selecting the Same Category for Each Quarter?

Some CCs offer 3% cash back for the selected category each quarter such as BBVA Compass ClearPoints and BoA Cash Rewards. Can I keep selecting the same category such as gas for each quarter if I tend to spend a lot in that category year-round?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I Keep the Selecting the Same Category for Each Quarter?

No
Message 2 of 12
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
No

Please elaborate.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 3 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
No

Please elaborate.

Certainly for Cash + you can (unless they remove the category).  I would be somewhat surprised if it were different on the other cards.  If it is, when can you reselect a category?

Message 4 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Some CCs offer 3% cash back for the selected category each quarter such as BBVA Compass ClearPoints and BoA Cash Rewards. Can I keep selecting the same category such as gas for each quarter if I tend to spend a lot in that category year-round?

@Anonymous, I don't have the Cash Rewards so I can't speak to that from personal experience, but I do have the BBVA/Compass ClearPoints, and you certainly can choose the same categories repeatedly quarter after quarter... I've been doing it for a year and a half now.  Smiley Happy

I suspect the same is true with the BoA Cash Rewards, but I'll defer to someone who has the card to elaborate.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not only can you choose the same category with BoA Cash Rewards but if you do nothing at all your current choice remains in effect month after month until you go and change it.
Message 6 of 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

With the BOA card you can definitely select the same one each month. If you do nothing it will remain the same so in fact you don't even need to do anything.

Message 7 of 12
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Yes you can. I do it with my US Bank Cash Plus and the BBVA Clearpoints. If you couldn’t, that would somewhat defeat the purpose of a card with rewards that you can choose. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My BOA Cash Rewards just stays on gas I’ve never had to do anything.. Barely use the card though, not much of a fan of them...
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

because of their customer service?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.