cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I apply for US Bank credit card if I live in Florida?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I apply for US Bank credit card if I live in Florida?

I just got a letter from US bank saying I was prequalified for a credit card even though I live in Florida. I was under the impression that they only gave out credit cards in states where they had banking relationships. If I apply for this credit card will they turn down the offer because I live in Florida?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Can I apply for US Bank credit card if I live in Florida?

Would've thought the answer was no, was denied myself in the past for 'out of area' but there is a current thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/US-BANK-APPROVED/td-p/787835 Otherwise, their co-brands generally don't have service area restrictions and some have better terms than the vanilla US Bank cc.
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 15
CorporalCaptain
Valued Member

I actually have the same question about Michigan.  US Bank has NO banking offices in Michigan, yet you can get a Kroger 123 Mastercard from them because we have Kroger here, and I personally know 2 people who have US Bank Flexperks cards.  

So, as rbub80 asked, can you get some of their products even if they don't have branches in your state?  Perhaps it's limited to cobranded products only.

USAA World MasterCard - $14,500
American Express SPG - $20,000
NFCU CashRewards Visa Sig - $20,000
PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa - $5,000
Message 3 of 15
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I was wondering the same thing, only for NY.  I wonder if there's a list somewhere?  I hope they would inform you upfront before going ahead with the hard pull...?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 15
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

US Bank has branches in Florida.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 5 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@clocktick wrote:

I was wondering the same thing, only for NY.  I wonder if there's a list somewhere?  I hope they would inform you upfront before going ahead with the hard pull...?

It's clunky, but you can try this. Keep zooming out. You'd think they'd have a normal list somewhere, huh.

Or google us bank (your state) and see what comes up. I did find that apparently Alaska doesn't have any branches, after randomly throwing a bunch of states in there.

eta: A-HA!!!! Try this link. It's not a US Bank-created link, so it might not be current.

their list:

Refine by States
Arkansas (46)
Arizona (77)
California (666)
Colorado (154)
Georgia (1)
Iowa (104)
Idaho (95)
Illinois (153)
Indiana (22)
Kansas (30)
Kentucky (127)
Minnesota (138)
Missouri (222)
Montana (25)
North Dakota (24)
Nebraska (59)
Nevada (105)
Ohio (333)
Oregon (196)
South Dakota (18)
Tennessee (81)
Texas (1)
Utah (66)
Washington (187)
Wisconsin (124)
Wyoming (15)
All states (3069)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 15
JMN
Frequent Contributor

@AndySoCal wrote:

US Bank has branches in Florida.

They do not, actually. The only have an Investment/Trust Office in Miami.

Here's a map of fairly spot-on branch footprint for U.S. Bank:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/75/USBankFootprint.png

The locations in Texas have been sold off, however, and the location in Georgia is an administrational office. The rest, however, are proper. 

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 7 of 15
DI
Super Contributor

No U.S. Banks in Florida or Miami.  Don't get it confused with U.S. Century Bank.

Message 8 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Just apply Smiley Happy

If they say no to service area, they won't process the app

Message 9 of 15
larinoriani
Regular Contributor

I have a First National Bank of Omaha CC and I don't live in Omaha. IMO if they don't serve your state, they wouldn't have sent the letter.

Also, in the app process you won't see your state in the list if they don't serve it.

Starting Score: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2010: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2011: TU 753
Goal Score: EQ 800--TU 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.