Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I be an AU from BOFA after Ban from personal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I be an AU from BOFA after Ban from personal

Hello. I need some help
I got banned from Bank of America since I was supposedly having irregular auth user activity (base on the letter)

I did admit messing up 3 of my family’s SS while adding it. That’s the last thing I did and the ff week my accounts got closed. I was under my husband’s card and I applied for two CC and got approved for both back in April.

So when I got my cards I activated and added SS on the premium BofA to add my 2 sisters, cousin, and best friend ( which I preferred to use more than the cash back card I also had... l I mistakenly applied for it since I thought it was the premium (but I did end up getting approved for both.

Since I’m banned, and my husband got banned, can my sister add me under her and perhaps help me build my relationship again from the ground up or there is no use and I’m forever banned?

Thanks so much for any help
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I be an AU from BOFA after Ban from personal

Can you explain further?
Message 2 of 22
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

If I were you, I would forget about Bank of America for a couple of years and instead focus on building good credit with other lenders.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 3 of 22
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Can you explain further?

Yes I can't even understand the questionSmiley Wink

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I just be added by a relative as an authorized user because I’m banned from applying myself ... wil they deny me or close her account?
Is there a chance that maybe I can build some good relationship with them somehow?

it’s just sad... system automatically denies me from being accepted when I applied and getting a rejection letter...
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Can you explain further?

Yes I can't even understand the questionSmiley Wink

Here's what she is saying:

1.  She was "under" her husband's card meaning she was either a joint or an AU cardholder

2.  She applied for BofA Premium and Cash Rewards cards in her own name and was approved for both.

3.  She added her two sisters, a cousin, and her best friend as Authorized Users on her Premium Rewards card.

4. She and her husband were banned by BofA for "irregular authorized user activity."

She also claims that she "messed up" with the social security numbers which I imagine she means she provided incorrect numbers for the authorized users to BofA.

Honestly, I'm surprised that her sister still has an account and that all of them were not banned.  Adding a best friend as an AU is clearly an attempt to game the system since AUs are generally assumed to be related to the primary cardholder.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Can I just be added by a relative as an authorized user because I’m banned from applying myself ... wil they deny me or close her account?
Is there a chance that maybe I can build some good relationship with them somehow?

it’s just sad... system automatically denies me from being accepted when I applied and getting a rejection letter...

I doubt it.  BofA will deny you on the basis of a "previous unsatisfactory relationship."

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m sorry but I’m not gaming the system in any way. I am being honest and I’m ignorant with all this. I see that you are allowed to add users. And I didn’t know it’s bad to have authorize users if your liable for them and the things they buy are for my house or my needs...

The sister I am talking about is my in law who was not added under my card. She has her own, I don’t know how I’m gaming the system when I am ignorant with all this. I don’t even care about the points but my score..
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I’m sorry but I’m not gaming the system in any way. I am being honest and I’m ignorant with all this. I see that you are allowed to add users. And I didn’t know it’s bad to have authorize users if your liable for them and the things they buy are for my house or my needs...

The sister I am talking about is my in law who was not added under my card. She has her own, I don’t know how I’m gaming the system when I am ignorant with all this. I don’t even care about the points but my score..

Having an account closed, either by you or the bank, should not have an effect on your credit score unless you had a large balance on the closed account which now increases your utilization percentage.

If your Authorized Users were purchasing things for you and your home as you claimed, why didn't you do the purchases directly?  Why the need to use an authorized user?  You were attempting to game the system by adding authorized users who obviously had poor credit or they would have been able to get credit on their own.  Then you attempted to create synthetic identities by giving incorrect social security numbers to the bank.

Financial institutions are extremely sensitive to authorized user abuse and attempts to invent synthetic identities and they will always shut down accounts where they suspect that is occurring.

If your sister-in-law adds you as an authorized user, can you come back and update us on what happened after?

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can assume i did all that if you want. I am disabled and have people in our house who helps us shop. I don’t do all the shopping out door. And others use it for my family shearer they buy food for the house or pay gas which I’m liable for.

I did not give synthetic cards. I was just ignorant and put wrong SS.

I like my score is still good but being banned by a good bank makes me feel really sad. I wish there was a way they can atleast give me a chance or start from the bottom even if I have small credit.

I didndnt try to abuse the system. I literally was under the impression it is good to add an authorize user for things like I have stated..

Secondly they also don’t have poor credit. They have credit cards also in their own name which is for their own personal use. Me letting them use my card is for my benefit to not have to do all the purchasing ... I have more things to worry about my health and it’s just sad I am already accused as someone cheating the system.

I hope you all understand where I’m coming from otherwise I would have not even written here with such transparency that I will just be later judged.

I appreciate all your advice though. It’s been tough for me. Sorry
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.