cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I be an AmEx Platinum AU with a Paid Charge Off from Before?

tag
UpwardTrajectory
Valued Member

Can I be an AmEx Platinum AU with a Paid Charge Off from Before?

Hey everyone, my fiance was thinking about opening an American Express Platinum Card with me as an AU. I've done quite a bit in the past two months to pay off my remaining debts, finished my credit debt management program, etc, and have 4 lines of credit now.

So, here are my circumstances with AmEx:

Date of First Delinquency: May 2016

Account paid (through credit card debt management program): June 2020

High credit: $2,327

Now, when I try to pre qualify on AmEx's site, of course they don't give me any hits, but says I am "invited to apply". This leads me to believe I am not on the blacklist? 

Will be able to be added to my fiance's AmEx Platinum, or will I get denied for it? Would love to know (and of course, be responsible). 

Thank you! 

Scores 1/1/2022:
TU: 720
EQ: 720
Experian: 680

Cards:
Capital One Quicksilver $3.3k | Apple Card $5k | Ollo Optimum $5k | Wells Fargo Active Cash $5k | AMEX Gold | AMEX Platinum (AU) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($12k AU) | Chase Amazon Prime ($10k AU) | BoA Cash Rewards ($10k AU)

Grateful for this forum!
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can I be an AmEx Platinum AU with a Paid Charge Off from Before?

Since you paid them off odds are good you will have no problem but you wont know till she moves to put you on and you ether get the card or a letter saying no.

Message 2 of 16
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@UpwardTrajectory wrote:

Hey everyone, my fiance was thinking about opening an American Express Platinum Card with me as an AU. I've done quite a bit in the past two months to pay off my remaining debts, finished my credit debt management program, etc, and have 4 lines of credit now.

Now, when I try to pre qualify on AmEx's site, of course they don't give me any hits, but says I am "invited to apply". This leads me to believe I am not on the blacklist? 

Will be able to be added to my fiance's AmEx Platinum, or will I get denied for it? Would love to know (and of course, be responsible). 

Thank you! 

The most definitive way to confirm if you are on AMEX' blacklist is to apply.  If you are denied without a HP that's considered prima facie evidence you're still on the blacklist.   IIRC they do not query their blacklist when checking preapprovals so you cannot rely upon that check as a way to see if you're no longer blacklisted. 

You should be OK as an AU as you've made AMEX whole and your fiance is responsible for the debt, not you. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 16
UpwardTrajectory
Valued Member

@coldfusion wrote:

@UpwardTrajectory wrote:

Thank you! 

The most definitive way to confirm if you are on AMEX' blacklist is to apply.  If you are denied without a HP that's considered prima facie evidence you're still on the blacklist.   IIRC they do not query their blacklist when checking preapprovals so you cannot rely upon that check as a way to see if you're no longer blacklisted. 

You should be OK as an AU as you've made AMEX whole and your fiance is responsible for the debt, not you. 

Thanks to both of you! Hmm...I feel like I almost want to apply (knowing I'll likely get denied, of course) just to make sure I'm not on that blacklist. However, I'm carrying 5 HP inquiries with me, 4 from last month...

If it were you (or anyone reading this) would you apply to do the HP just to be sure? 

also, if I get denied, how would I know I'm off the blacklist? Is there a "special" message with a blacklist denial? 

Scores 1/1/2022:

Cards:
Capital One Quicksilver $3.3k | Apple Card $5k | Ollo Optimum $5k | Wells Fargo Active Cash $5k | AMEX Gold | AMEX Platinum (AU) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($12k AU) | Chase Amazon Prime ($10k AU) | BoA Cash Rewards ($10k AU)

Grateful for this forum!
Message 4 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@UpwardTrajectory wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

@UpwardTrajectory wrote:

Thank you! 

Thanks to both of you! Hmm...I feel like I almost want to apply (knowing I'll likely get denied, of course) just to make sure I'm not on that blacklist. However, I'm carrying 5 HP inquiries with me, 4 from last month...

If it were you (or anyone reading this) would you apply to do the HP just to be sure? 

You wouldn't have to ask me twice about it Smiley Very Happy

That said, you do you and decide whether you want to experiment.

Message 5 of 16
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@UpwardTrajectory wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

@UpwardTrajectory wrote:

Thank you! 

also, if I get denied, how would I know I'm off the blacklist? Is there a "special" message with a blacklist denial? 

I wouldn't bother right now, no.  

You aren't a current cardholder so by default if you applied there would be a hard pull - unless you are on the blacklist.     If you're denied without a hard pull you're still blacklisted.   The flip side to that is that if there is a hard pull it's interpreted to mean you're no longer on the blacklist. 

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 16
UpwardTrajectory
Valued Member

Hmm, thanks for your insight.

I guess a part of me has to separate just "wanting" the card via AU, but I almost feel like if I want to do it, I should get the HP "out of the way" instead of doing it later so that it can age off? All in consideration, of course! 

Scores 1/1/2022:

Cards:

Grateful for this forum!
Message 7 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@UpwardTrajectory wrote:

Hmm, thanks for your insight.

I guess a part of me has to separate just "wanting" the card via AU, but I almost feel like if I want to do it, I should get the HP "out of the way" instead of doing it later so that it can age off? All in consideration, of course! 

Right. 

You can exercise a cautious, methodical approach or just rip the band-aid off.  Your decision on weighin the pros/cons of course.

Message 8 of 16
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You're at a point right now where it isn't a bad idea to wait a few months before taking another EX HP.   

If you really wanted to take a stab at it, you can dig up one of the enhanced 125,000 MR SUB links, and you don't have any other plans to apply for credit over the next several months, go for it as the reward makes it worth the risk.   I probably wouldn't do it for 60,000 MR right now because the SUB is always at least 60,000 MR. 

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Message 9 of 16
UpwardTrajectory
Valued Member

Right! I feel like if I had 4 HPs, a 5th would be just okay but making it 6 in 6 months kind of feels...not great? That said, being an AU on the Platinum would likely take care of my CC journey for quite a bit while I garden...

Scores 1/1/2022:

Cards:

Grateful for this forum!
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.