cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I be an AmEx Platinum AU with a Paid Charge Off from Before?

tag
UpwardTrajectory
Valued Member

Re: Can I be an AmEx Platinum AU with a Paid Charge Off from Before?

@coldfusion wrote:

You're at a point right now where it isn't a bad idea to wait a few months before taking another EX HP.   

If you really wanted to take a stab at it, you can dig up one of the enhanced 125,000 MR SUB links, and you don't have any other plans to apply for credit over the next several months, go for it as the reward makes it worth the risk.   I probably wouldn't do it for 60,000 MR right now because the SUB is always at least 60,000 MR. 

Yeah! Well, I know I'd want to do it through my fiance since she's 800+. I'm an AU on a CSP and a BOA Cash Rewards, and my EX credit score is at 654 after being at 570-something a little under two months after paying 2k+ in debt off and getting a Cap1 Plat for 3K (am in a stratospherically better life situation than when I was in my early 20s mishandling my credit, so I know that responsibility & earning power will keep growing) 

So essentially, this would be "our" points if we did the MR points, but it's all as to how this times...I think I feel positive enough that I'll be accepted as an AU since AmEx had the paid charge off since last June, but I do want to make sure there's no funny business in being approved for the AU as well...

Scores 1/1/2022:
TU: 720
EQ: 720
Experian: 680

Cards:
Capital One Quicksilver $3.3k | Apple Card $5k | Ollo Optimum $5k | Wells Fargo Active Cash $5k | AMEX Gold | AMEX Platinum (AU) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($12k AU) | Chase Amazon Prime ($10k AU) | BoA Cash Rewards ($10k AU)

Grateful for this forum!
Message 11 of 16
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

There is always the fact that even if you're denied you can still have your fiance add you as an AU. 

She should also send you a referral - referrals when in 2-player mode are legitimate and the combination of the SUB and referral bonus together may also be compelling enough to pull the trigger even if you can't find a 125,000 MR affinity link. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 12 of 16
UpwardTrajectory
Valued Member

@coldfusion wrote:

There is always the fact that even if you're denied you can still have your fiance add you as an AU. 

She should also send you a referral - referrals when in 2-player mode are legitimate and the combination of the SUB and referral bonus together may also be compelling enough to pull the trigger even if you can't find a 125,000 MR affinity link. 

For sure. Right now, I think it's coming down to "making sure" I can be added as an AU/am not on the blacklist. And surely, if the paid charge off was all clear last June/all paid off, and it was under $2.5k, I should be fine...right? 

Scores 1/1/2022:

Cards:
Capital One Quicksilver $3.3k | Apple Card $5k | Ollo Optimum $5k | Wells Fargo Active Cash $5k | AMEX Gold | AMEX Platinum (AU) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($12k AU) | Chase Amazon Prime ($10k AU) | BoA Cash Rewards ($10k AU)

Grateful for this forum!
Message 13 of 16
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Insofar as being able to be added as an AU, I believe you're fine.    Not sure about getting your own card just yet as this is "just" a chargeoff and not a IIB situation. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 14 of 16
UpwardTrajectory
Valued Member

@coldfusion wrote:

Insofar as being able to be added as an AU, I believe you're fine.    Not sure about getting your own card just yet as this is "just" a chargeoff and not a IIB situation. 

Yes, totally. I definitely do not want my own AmEx until probably March 2022, when it'll be a year since I restarted everything, and will have SLs wiped + way more history + etc. I actually would love an Optima, but I've changed both mailing addresses and a phone number since AmEx had the paid charge off, and I'm not sure if there's a number I can call? 

As an AU however, if I'm in the clear, would love to get that Platinum in my wallet & work with my fiance to get those 75k (and hopefully there's a 125k floating somewhere) MR points. 

Scores 1/1/2022:

Cards:

Grateful for this forum!
Message 15 of 16
UpwardTrajectory
Valued Member

@coldfusion wrote:

Something my fiancé told me: She has a Hilton AmEx card. Theoretically, she should be able to add me to that as an AU, which would then confirm my good to go status, right? I would imagine AmEx doesn't punish for adding AU to multiple cards? 

(Or, I'm overthinking this and everything is fine...) 

Scores 1/1/2022:

Cards:

Grateful for this forum!
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.