Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I convert Sallie Mae to upromise?

tag
MoneyBurns
Frequent Contributor

Can I convert Sallie Mae to upromise?

Hi all!!

I was thinking about closing my Sallie Mae World Mastercard as what it's Commence to is an insult. Plus the card it's changing to is probably one of the UGLIEST cards I've seen.

I do a lot of online shopping through ebates and was wondering if upromise would be a better option to PC? I don't have a upromose account as I already finished grad school.

Does barclays allow PCs? Also is upromise only available to students and the rewards toward college? Because it seems 5% through upromise and another 5% through the card is a lot. Even better than ebates for some retailers.

Can someone who has used this card have insight?

Thanks!!!!

Sabre
My Current Active Credit Cards
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can I convert Sallie Mae to upromise?

@MoneyBurns wrote:
Hi all!!

I was thinking about closing my Sallie Mae World Mastercard as what it's Commence to is an insult. Plus the card it's changing to is probably one of the UGLIEST cards I've seen.

I do a lot of online shopping through ebates and was wondering if upromise would be a better option to PC? I don't have a upromose account as I already finished grad school.

Does barclays allow PCs? Also is upromise only available to students and the rewards toward college? Because it seems 5% through upromise and another 5% through the card is a lot. Even better than ebates for some retailers.

Can someone who has used this card have insight?

Thanks!!!!

Sabre

Not sure...  You can certainly try..  Normaly they don't PC co-branded cards, but they are both Sallie Mae's just different products.  The Upromise is certainly better than the pathethic commence they are coverting it to.  Let us know if you try

Message 2 of 19
MoneyBurns
Frequent Contributor

I just called Barclay's and they said no - they don't do product changes from one card to another. I tried to speak to the Sallie Mae World Mastercard department as well since its also the upromise is a Sallie Mae product, but that was a no-go either.

Any suggestions? I really don't want this card and will have absolutely no use for it. 2% is easily covered by Double Cash as I PIF in each month anyway. Any ideas what to do with the dead Sallie Mae's credit line? I don't want it to go to waste. I have a Cashforward, but I only got that card for the sign up bonus $200, and now none of the Barclay line up (from what I see unless others have ideas) seem too enticing.

Thought I'd share some information.

Sabre

My Current Active Credit Cards
Message 3 of 19
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the feedback.. Either role the CL's into the CashFoward you have which is another meh card or possibly open up an arrival+ card collect $500 sign-up bonus and role limits into that card.  Two options.

Unfortunate that the commence card is such a terrible card.  I would of guessed when it was nerfed maybe 2% or 3% percent on those categories not the rewards card rebadged... From the best card I had to now the worse card I will have.. I have a 11% apr which sucks for me cancelling it so I am torn what to do, but suppose I will cancel it and move some of the limit to my cashforward that I barely use and shed the rest of the limit to free up some credit as I have more than what I need or do the arrival+ since 0 AF for first year and collect bonus and move SM limit to that then kill it at a year for taking my beloved SM away from me Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 19
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@MoneyBurns wrote:

I just called Barclay's and they said no - they don't do product changes from one card to another. I tried to speak to the Sallie Mae World Mastercard department as well since its also the upromise is a Sallie Mae product, but that was a no-go either.

Any suggestions? I really don't want this card and will have absolutely no use for it. 2% is easily covered by Double Cash as I PIF in each month anyway. Any ideas what to do with the dead Sallie Mae's credit line? I don't want it to go to waste. I have a Cashforward, but I only got that card for the sign up bonus $200, and now none of the Barclay line up (from what I see unless others have ideas) seem too enticing.

Thought I'd share some information.

Sabre

You're in the same position as I am, as well as many others with this card. Also, just after getting the Double Cash in October, I closed my Barclay Rewards (My only other Barclaycard) and rolled the limit into Sallie Mae, so a decent chunk (1/6th) of my available credit will just be dormant and useless. I plan on getting the BCP for grocery and gas spend and I'm hopeful especially after the 61 day CLI I can surpass the 10,200. Torn whether to close SM when it converts or not, and just keep it open with buying gum every year to spite Barclays.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 5 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Unfortunately the new Commence was is pretty worthless for anyone considering there are flat 2% cards available.

You could move the limit to the Cashforward, but even the Cashforward isn't worth using much when you have a Double Cash. I understand wanting to keep a credit line, but if no Barclay's product suits you, then they don't suit you. Their lineup is pretty medicore at this point. Beyond sign on bonuses, most of their cards are very easily beaten by others for actual spending.

Message 6 of 19
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

If it is of no use to you and it isnt to many then just close it. I have 2 SMs one is torched 2/28/17 the other I will keep for BT use.

Message 7 of 19
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@gdale6 wrote:

If it is of no use to you and it isnt to many then just close it. I have 2 SMs one is torched 2/28/17 the other I will keep for BT use.

for some reason they have never offered me BT's on this card other than the standard APR, but other barclay cards I can't get them to stop giving me BT offers and checks in the mail lol.. If they did for the SM that would be converted into the commence card I would consider keeping it, but nope for whatever reason I don't get BT offers on this one Barclay's card

Message 8 of 19
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Unfortunately the new Commence was is pretty worthless for anyone considering there are flat 2% cards available.

You could move the limit to the Cashforward, but even the Cashforward isn't worth using much when you have a Double Cash. I understand wanting to keep a credit line, but if no Barclay's product suits you, then they don't suit you. Their lineup is pretty medicore at this point. Beyond sign on bonuses, most of their cards are very easily beaten by others for actual spending.

Yep.  I don't understand the hesitation in closing it; I have yet to hear a great reason for keeping it.

Message 9 of 19
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

for some reason they have never offered me BT's on this card other than the standard APR, but other barclay cards I can't get them to stop giving me BT offers and checks in the mail lol.. If they did for the SM that would be converted into the commence card I would consider keeping it, but nope for whatever reason I don't get BT offers on this one Barclay's card

Might be because you have other cards I only have the 2 SMs with them and I get BT offers on both of them every month.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.