cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I convert Sallie Mae to upromise?

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can I convert Sallie Mae to upromise?

@gdale6 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

If it is of no use to you and it isnt to many then just close it. I have 2 SMs one is torched 2/28/17 the other I will keep for BT use.

for some reason they have never offered me BT's on this card other than the standard APR, but other barclay cards I can't get them to stop giving me BT offers and checks in the mail lol.. If they did for the SM that would be converted into the commence card I would consider keeping it, but nope for whatever reason I don't get BT offers on this one Barclay's card

Might be because you have other cards I only have the 2 SMs with them and I get BT offers on both of them every month.

Hmm very well could be..  Good thought.

Message 11 of 19
MoneyBurns
Frequent Contributor

I guess the BTs would be good to keep around Sallie. I've gotten 2% fees before from before. Chsse always sends me similar offers as well. They never made a cent off me, so maybe a BT in the summer. However the thought of just looking at the Commence card, even having it in my sock drawer is cringing.

The Arrival+ looks tempting. Is Arrival+ only redeemed for travel expenses? My spending habits may not be useful for the card. But a $500 bonus is nice!! Take that Barclay's for chopping my beloved!
My Current Active Credit Cards
Message 12 of 19
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

500 for travel related reimbursement or 250 cash w/arrival+.  GC's might be 500, someone else would know more about arrival+ than myself.

Message 13 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MoneyBurns wrote:
I guess the BTs would be good to keep around Sallie. I've gotten 2% fees before from before. Chsse always sends me similar offers as well. They never made a cent off me, so maybe a BT in the summer. However the thought of just looking at the Commence card, even having it in my sock drawer is cringing.

The Arrival+ looks tempting. Is Arrival+ only redeemed for travel expenses? My spending habits may not be useful for the card. But a $500 bonus is nice!! Take that Barclay's for chopping my beloved!

Arrival+ has an AF after the first year.   The AF is not worth paying for the vast majority of people (with free 2% cards, you need to spend a great deal to get the advantage).  SO moving the CL there is a short term solution

Message 14 of 19
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@MoneyBurns wrote:

Arrival+ has an AF after the first year.   The AF is not worth paying for the vast majority of people (with free 2% cards, you need to spend a great deal to get the advantage).  SO moving the CL there is a short term solution

Given the rate at which they change and nerf their cards, everything is a short term solution.

The same could arguably be said of many issuers and cards...but it seems especially true for Barclaycard.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 15 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

500 for travel related reimbursement or 250 cash w/arrival+.  GC's might be 500, someone else would know more about arrival+ than myself.

Arrival+'s bonus is only $500 for travel expenses. Gift cards, cash, merchandise, etc are all around the $250 value.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened Upromise last year(You don't have to be a student) I opened it mainly for the 5+% CB on some of the local restaurants. But the bonus CB don't easily post, its a hit or miss, which is frustrating. only 1% CB immediately posts. I called CS few times, they would quote 30/60 days for bonus CB to show up. 

I feel the Upromise program is not worth it if you are not dilligent enough to track your CB.

Barclays doesn't do PC, so I am letting this card go inactive.

Message 17 of 19
MoneyBurns
Frequent Contributor

Nothing good from Barclay for me..... so I suppose this is the chopping block our our relationship. Smiley Sad

"It's not you, it's me.... our needs and wants within our relationship has changed. I can't have this relationship any more Sallie. You were good to me but you changed. I hope you find the true customers you've been looking for."

That would be my breakup speech for this card. It's been good Barclay! I hope to do business with them in the future!

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll take care and use of my other cards now!!
My Current Active Credit Cards
Message 18 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I opened Upromise last year(You don't have to be a student) I opened it mainly for the 5+% CB on some of the local restaurants. But the bonus CB don't easily post, its a hit or miss, which is frustrating. only 1% CB immediately posts. I called CS few times, they would quote 30/60 days for bonus CB to show up. 

I feel the Upromise program is not worth it if you are not dilligent enough to track your CB.

Barclays doesn't do PC, so I am letting this card go inactive.

Yes, I had the Upromise card in 2015, but I got tired of fighting for the rebates and they did take forever to post. The card is great in theory, but in reality, pretty frustrating most of the time.

I still use the Upromise portal itself occasionally, and am still waiting on dining payouts from October....you'd think for paltry amounts like $1.30 they would just push the reward through so as not to upset customers, but apparently they aren't concerned.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.