Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I do a PC on my 61 day 3x?

tag
Stryder
Frequent Contributor

Can I do a PC on my 61 day 3x?

I am sure this won't work, but when I got my BCE  I had run the numbers for the preffered and didn't think the extra rewards would make up for the AF. After I got the card...I played with the numbers some more and realized I was wrong....so I have every intention of doing a PC as soon as it's feasible. Since my 61 days is tomorrow, I was thinking of asking tomorrow just to see what they say. My score has gone up from fico 8- 681 to 747 since I app'ed for the card, so I was hoping that might help? Do you think I might could ask for 10k with my boost instead of the 6k? (SL was 2k)

(I have run around 3k on the card since I got it and pif'ed it four times....cleaned it off yesterday for the 61 day)

What do y'all think?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I do a PC on my 61 day 3x?

To answer the PC part of your question, I don't think its possible. Whenever you're going up on an AF card you can't do it before 12-13 months of having the card. Something I learned also that I don't think many people know is that you're able to downgrade to a lesser or no AF card at ANYTIME however. So you if you had a high AF card you could PC to another card with a lesser AF or no AF without waiting a whole year. 

Message 2 of 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

You would not be able to PC until 12 months due to the card act.  You of course could apply for the BCP instead.  

Message 3 of 13
Stryder
Frequent Contributor

OK, but I don't have an AF now, the Blue Cash Everyday doesn't have one...I want to get the preferred which does... You was saying I cant go AF to another AF...does that make a difference?

Message 4 of 13
Stryder
Frequent Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

You would not be able to PC until 12 months due to the card act.  You of course could apply for the BCP instead.  

Ignorant here...what does the card act say? Don't want to app for another card, I'll just ride with this one if that's the case

Message 5 of 13
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Basically the AF can't change during the first 12 months, so going from a no AF card to a AF card is not allowed in the first year
Message 6 of 13
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

I would go for the 10K on the CLI attempt and they'll counter back if they don't want to do it for the 10K.

PC though I'm thinking everyone is on track with the no on the first 12 months...... however you could always ask on chat after your CLI and see what they have to say.  I'm thinking it might still be an issue because you're also under the 12 mo 0% period as well.  Seems the intro period makes things difficult with most companies on making changes to the original terms.

Message 7 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Stryder wrote:

I am sure this won't work, but when I got my BCE  I had run the numbers for the preffered and didn't think the extra rewards would make up for the AF. After I got the card...I played with the numbers some more and realized I was wrong....so I have every intention of doing a PC as soon as it's feasible. Since my 61 days is tomorrow, I was thinking of asking tomorrow just to see what they say. My score has gone up from fico 8- 681 to 747 since I app'ed for the card, so I was hoping that might help? Do you think I might could ask for 10k with my boost instead of the 6k? (SL was 2k)

(I have run around 3k on the card since I got it and pif'ed it four times....cleaned it off yesterday for the 61 day)

What do y'all think?

Congrats on getting the BCE, sounds like you like the rewards.

Here's some things to keep in mind:

With the BCE, you may not be earning the BCP percentages, but you also do not have to pay the AF up front, and so you are not digging out from the AF right now. You are ahead from the first swipe, instead of counting the months until you "even up" and start "really earning" with the BCP.

Your 3x request will go to $6k max, Don't even bother with $10k this round, it's not happening.

If you were to be able to PC from BCE to BCP, you would likely box yourself out of any BCP sign up bonus. Since you are all about earning rewards, that's a pretty steep price to pay, along with the AF immediately charged, to get to the higher percentage card.

After a year, or after 6 months of showing AMEX your spend habits, you can likely app separately for the BCP and get a higher limit. If you keep the BCE at $2k, maybe go to $3k just for fun, you might get $10k for the BCP app, as a separate card. I started with a Delta Gold at $2k, apped less than a year later for the Delta Platinum and got $10k. Every other revolver app has been high value, Hilton $10k, SPG $10k, EDP $15k.

If after a year you really decide you don't want to do the separate app, you will probably start seeing AMEX giving you Upgrade offers, where you can get some small bonus for a SP PC of your current BCE, pay the AF for the BCP, and off you go with the same history on the AF card.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 13
Stryder
Frequent Contributor

Here's some things to keep in mind:

With the BCE, you may not be earning the BCP percentages, but you also do not have to pay the AF up front, and so you are not digging out from the AF right now. You are ahead from the first swipe, instead of counting the months until you "even up" and start "really earning" with the BCP. I get that, but we spend enough to where that is not an issue...I will get ahead and max the offer

Your 3x request will go to $6k max, Don't even bother with $10k this round, it's not happening. OK, thanks

If you were to be able to PC from BCE to BCP, you would likely box yourself out of any BCP sign up bonus. Since you are all about earning rewards, that's a pretty steep price to pay, along with the AF immediately charged, to get to the higher percentage card. I've already gotten my bonus's with BCE, so I wasn't worried about that. I am not concerned with trying to collect a bunch of cards, rather very targeted, specific cards to grow old with. I am looking at 5 reward cards with a good BT card. I have asked SDFCU for a reconsider which has a low of 7.24% EMV card. Should hear back tomorrow..it's been with them for 2 days now. Tomorrow will either be a very good or a very bad day! haha Smiley Wink

If after a year you really decide you don't want to do the separate app, you will probably start seeing AMEX giving you Upgrade offers, where you can get some small bonus for a SP PC of your current BCE, pay the AF for the BCP, and off you go with the same history on the AF card. That would work for me, but it brings up more that I don't understand ....

since my scores have been going up and after getting the BCE and CSP...Im not getting Cap One offers anymore...I m getting some pretty expenisive looking CCard offers. Is this just marketing gone wild, or is it actually offers? Pre-qualified? I just got a beautiful package from AMEX in a beautiful Marron envelope (6" x 11") that looks like everything cost $10 just for the paper and printing,  for the Premier Rewards Gold Card...50,000 rewards points...Application reserved for me, offer expires on Dec 19, 2016 (it has some RSVP codes on it). Is this a slam dunker for me or just  a mass mailing looking for a few acorns?

Message 9 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

If you have the BCE for a few months, and have heavily cycled the card charges and payments, that PRG offer of 50,000 points is the best available. The AMEX Charge cards are consistent underwriting criteria, but having even a short history with AMEX will help as well. It seems to me your chances of getting the card would be good.

If your spend is really going to max out a BCP, then similar categories await you with the PRG, groceries, gasoline, and dining out, as well as airline tickets. The MR points are a different earning configuration, they have a different value structure, but the PRG does not have the ceiling on grocery earnings the BCE and BCP do. The PRG AF is deferred, but even at $195, that includes some benefits like $100 airline fee credit. Of course, the PRG is also the classic, perhaps most-recognizable card ever.

Keep in mind that not all places that sell groceries and gasoline are coded as such for AMEX cards. You have to review how the points score, but the listing usually isn't available until after the NEXT billing cycle. The places I get my groceries and gas are not looked at in that way by AMEX, so I do not get extra points on any of my AMEX cards for those purchases. If you do, then these cards make a lot of sense for your purchase profile.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.