cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get a recent delinquency on my credit report waived?

tag
humes

Can I get a recent delinquency on my credit report waived?

I had some credit problems a few years ago and I have spent several years rebuilding my credit. I haven't had a late paymet or anything negative on my credit report since about 2005. My credit score has hovered around 750 or so since I bought a house a couple of years ago.

I got a new credit card last year that I rarely used and unfortunately barely paid any attention to. I had automatic payments set-up that would pay much more than the minimum balance and I rarely looked at the balance or looked at the account online like I do on a regular basis with my other credit cards. Anyway, I made some changes to my bank account and forgot to update the auto payment to this credit card. Next thing I know, I start getting calls from this cc company and I see that they have put a 90 day deliquency on my credit report. I promptly paid off the entire balance once I saw this.

I wanted to know, is there any way I can contact the credit card company with a mea culpa to see if they can remove the deliquenmcy from my report especially since I have a zero balance now? I wanted to show them there was no intention to not pay them and show them I have the money to pay them off. Is there a certain protocol to asking for a recent deliquency to be removed? As I said, I haven't had anything negative on my report since 2005 and it would be a shame that this little snafu could screw up my good credit that I worked so hard to rebuild. I'm also thinking about closing down this credit card cause I rarely used it and this has caused me a headache.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Can I get a recent delinquency on my credit report waived?

Who is this card with? It is possible to get a GW late deletion but it varys with lenders.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 10
humes

It's with Sallie Mae. 

I knew I should not have gotten the card but they just kept sending the pre-approval and a 0% balance transfer so I transferred balances over. I've probably swiped that card in a store all of 2-3 times. 

Message 3 of 10
Soxfan827

I have a very similar situation with Capital one.  I rebuilt my credit over the years to a 750 of which I was quite proud.  Today, I went to myfico for an annual score and was horrified to find my score at 668 because of charge unpaid to Capital One.  I hadn't received a bill for months and didn't think I owed anything.  Upon checking, I was told that I had been signed for e statements and so no paper bills.  I dont pay anything  electronically as I don't trust it and paying by paper check is much easier for me.  I have a record and I know it is paid.  Frankly, I dont remember signing for e statements and I think I went online with CapOne one time to check a balance.  This is a disaster for me and I worked too hard and learned too many lessons to let a bill go unpaid.  I always pay in full right after receivng the bill, never pay interest.  When I received an email from CapOne I simply deleted without opening because I assumed it was advertising and new credit offers.  This is tremendously devastating to me and I am looking for some help.     To the original poster, I apologize for piggy backing your  thread but our situations are remarkably similar and maybe we can both learn some thing.   Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Message 4 of 10
swpopham
Established Contributor

No go with cap one for sure.... and id bet money no on Sallie may either. Dispute it as never late and see what happens. Worse that can happen is it stays there
"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 5 of 10
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I'm fighting with both cap1 and sallie Mae. They haven't budged yet. 4 months of GW letters so far.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 10
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

It's been a couple of years ago, but I suddenly had a FICO score drop about 50-60 points for a late payment. My heart dropped, and I couldn't imagine what I'd done. What I'd done is not pay a Capital One statement that had an annual fee on it. I hadn't charged anything that month, so I didn't even open it.

I called in right away and talked to whomever answered the phone. I explained that it was totally my fault, and that I had overlooked the bill since I knew I didn't have any charges. I paid the bill right there on the phone. I apologized every which way.

I asked if they would consider taking the late payment off my report...and they did. A couple months later I cancelled the card because I never wanted that to happen again. Now I handle all my cc accounts online. I don't depend on the mail. All my payments are electronic.

I don't know if Cap One would do this today, but what I learned from that experience was to take the total blame...not make excuses...and apologize over and over. Oh....and BE NICE. It's the old getting more flies with honey thing...

Message 7 of 10
Soxfan827

Earlier in this thread I posted my experience with Cap One and not receiving paper statements that I had a sixty late charge on my fico score.  I recently went on chat line with a Cap One rep  and this is her verbatim response......."Yes, you should have received your statement.  There could have been an issue with the mail at the time, but your past due fee was credited back to your account for the inconvenience and your credit history will be updated with 30-60 days."  I think this is very good news and my question is...Do I have to do anything else?  Will transunion give me 70 points back and remove the lates atomatically?  Thanks in advance for any replies.

Message 8 of 10
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Soxfan827 wrote:

Earlier in this thread I posted my experience with Cap One and not receiving paper statements that I had a sixty late charge on my fico score.  I recently went on chat line with a Cap One rep  and this is her verbatim response......."Yes, you should have received your statement.  There could have been an issue with the mail at the time, but your past due fee was credited back to your account for the inconvenience and your credit history will be updated with 30-60 days."  I think this is very good news and my question is...Do I have to do anything else?  Will transunion give me 70 points back and remove the lates atomatically?  Thanks in advance for any replies.

it will vary since there are different factors but since they said they would delete it the only way to know is to check your reports in 2+ months. 

i would screen shot that conversation. (probably already closed the screen) 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 9 of 10
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I think it just depends on your history and how quickly things are attended to.

I was nearly late on Chase a few months ago. Thought it had already been paid and was shocked when the text message reminder showed up.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.