cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have more than 1 AMEX Magnet card.

tag
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Can I have more than 1 AMEX Magnet card.

I am already a Amex Magnet card holder, but when I was logged on an saw the typical offers to upgrade various of my cards,  then I decided to try the Amex pre-approval site, after telling me no offers, it popped up a box saying click to go back and see my pre-approved cards, which took me back to the Amex credit card pages with 3 cards including the Magnet card with a $150 sign up bonus, that I currently have.  Will they really give me a second card and sign up bonus? 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I have more than 1 AMEX Magnet card.

Probably not.

I haven't seen anyone have 2 X the same caed with Amex ever.  Since you're a cardholder already the cookies from your browser affect the cards displayed whether pre-approval or upgrade status.  This is why we usually say to apply in incognito mode for the higher bonus since it doesn't see the cookies to give you the lower bonus.

Message 2 of 6
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

(Is $150 really worth it, anyway?)

I have always read that you get a SUB for any given Amex only once in your lifetime. I am more inclined to think the prequal page is wrong than that this card is an exception, but, who knows. If you try it, be sure to report back. Good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 3 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

No, one SUB per card per lifetime, with exceptions of targeted bonuses.
Message 4 of 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Probably not.

I haven't seen anyone have 2 X the same caed with Amex ever.  Since you're a cardholder already the cookies from your browser affect the cards displayed whether pre-approval or upgrade status.  This is why we usually say to apply in incognito mode for the higher bonus since it doesn't see the cookies to give you the lower bonus.

It's sort of possible on the business side of Amex. I have a BBP in my own name for professional expenses, and could get a separate one for an unrelated business with a separate tax ID.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 6
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
No, one SUB per card per lifetime, with exceptions of targeted bonuses.

Based on relevant occasional reports it appears that "lifetime" in practice is +/- 7 years.

AMEX considers each of the different iterations of the Platinum as different cards so one can for example get a vanilla Platinum and a Schwab Platinum and collect a SUB on both. 

When the Mercedes Benz Platinum cards were converted over to vanilla Plats in January I did for a short time hold 2 x vanilla Platinums.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.