Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I keep Amex & Citi?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I keep Amex & Citi?

It's a long story, but I gotta go to jail for 3-5 years.

I have a green NPSL Amex and Citi ThankYou Preferred card with a 5k limit. Both cards have zero balance and are linked to my bank account with 23k deposited. If being a convicted felon sucks, having my credit history wiped out because there are no transactions will just add icing to the massive pain cake.

I hope the Amex just remain open as a result of the annual fee, even with no charges to post. I know that the Citi card will cancel without any activity. I plan on opening up a mailbox at Mailboxes Etc. and that pay monthly to the Citi card, which is automatically paid by the auto draft from my bank. The lady said if I have a big enough box it will hold 10 years worth of statements. I also need to change my billing address for both cards to that address and the address on file with my bank.

FYI, my money will not be affected. Fines have been paid, and my lawyer has been paid.

Anyone think this is gonna work?

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Can I keep Amex & Citi?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a green NPSL Amex and Citi ThankYou Preferred card with a 5k limit. Both cards have zero balance and are linked to my bank account with 23k deposited. If being a convicted felon sucks, having my credit history wiped out because there are no transactions will just add icing to the massive pain cake.

I hope the Amex just remain open as a result of the annual fee, even with no charges to post. I know that the Citi card will cancel without any activity. I plan on opening up a mailbox at Mailboxes Etc. and that pay monthly to the Citi card, which is automatically paid by the auto draft from my bank. The lady said if I have a big enough box it will hold 10 years worth of statements. I also need to change my billing address for both cards to that address and the address on file with my bank.

FYI, my money will not be affected. Fines have been paid, and my lawyer has been paid.

Hopefully it does for you, d oyou have anyone you trust with your cards? You could let someone close to you use them and pay them monthly.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 31
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hopefully it does for you, d oyou have anyone you trust with your cards? You could let someone close to you use them and pay them monthly.

+1, i agree. somone really close and whom you really trust could put a small, occasional charge on the cards and then pay it so that they dont get closed due to inactivity

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 31
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

I would recommend that you contact the Service Representative of both cards and see if they will suspend the usage of the cards

for whatever time you may need.

You do not need to explain the circumstances of your situation.

Just informed them it's personal reasons and you would like to keep the accounts active, but suspended for a period of time.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1, i agree. somone really close and whom you really trust could put a small, occasional charge on the cards and then pay it so that they dont get closed due to inactivity

I am not comfortable with anyone else being able to use them. My moms might be okay, but anyone else in the family is likely to max them out. That would screw me hard. I was just going to hide the cards somewhere, at an undisclosed location.

Am I going to get automatically canceled because of my new criminal record?

Message 5 of 31
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

Bad advice. You can't trust anyone for 3-5 years not to overcharge your CC. Also I'm pretty sure it's illegal and you and the person can probably get in trouble. I think the plan of getting a P.O. Box with automatic bill and payment is good. However it might be pretty expensive.

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 6 of 31
gettnthere
Established Contributor

i would guess that CCC dont have access to your criminal records nor are they interested in something like that. just your credit

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 31
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am not comfortable with anyone else being able to use them. My moms might be okay, but anyone else in the family is likely to max them out. That would screw me hard. I was just going to hide the cards somewhere, at an undisclosed location.

Am I going to get automatically canceled because of my new criminal record?

Creditors to my knowledge do not check criminal records. I would let your mom handle them for you if your serious about keeping your accounts.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 31
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@HenryJumbo wrote:

Bad advice. You can't trust anyone for 3-5 years not to overcharge your CC. Also I'm pretty sure it's illegal and you and the person can probably get in trouble. I think the plan of getting a P.O. Box with automatic bill and payment is good. However it might be pretty expensive.

If an online transaction is made that should be sufficient. It's your mom of all people.....Smiley Indifferent

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 31
Dishpro
Regular Contributor

Set up autopay with the cards, that will guaranty monthly usage and set up payment from your bank account to pay the monthly card payments.

Starting Score:
Current Score: FICO TU 725 FICO EQ 735 EX 754
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.