Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I recon Citi BB Card CLI denial?

tag
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Can I recon Citi BB Card CLI denial?

I tried for a CLI on my Best Buy card today and it was denied...can I recon that?  If so is it worth it?  I've heard Citi is hard to get a CLI out of....

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I recon Citi BB Card CLI denial?

If you burnt an HP to get it then yes, try.
Message 2 of 11
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Im fairly certain its going to cost me an HP.  Do I call Citi directly or a backdoor number? 

Message 3 of 11
juggar
Contributor

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

I tried for a CLI on my Best Buy card today and it was denied...can I recon that?  If so is it worth it?  I've heard Citi is hard to get a CLI out of....

Man, you would have more luck getting blood out of a rock. 

I tried reconing a CLI denial like 8 months ago for mine and I tried most everything. I wasted over an hour of my life so id recommend against it. 

I know it cost a HP and it sucks but it is what it is. Good luck. 

Amex Green, Chase Freedom(7.5K), Nationwide Visa Signature(6K), Chase Sapphire Preferred(6k), Cap One VentureOne visa signature (5K) BoA Cash Rewards siggy (5K), BoA travel rewards visa siggy(5K) PayPal Extras Mastercard(5K), Capital One QuickSilver(2.25K) Newegg Preferred Account(2K), Citi Forward(3.4K), Dell Account(2K) Discover IT(2.4K), Chase Slate (1.5K) Citi Diamond Preferred ($800), BestBuy Mastercard ($1500),Bill-Me-Later(1.2K), ,Barclay Mastercard(2K). TigerDirect TigerPay(3.15K), Wal-mart credit card(3.9K), Amazon store card (2K)

equifax - 720, TU - 747, Exp - 734 - report date 11/24/2014
15+ inqs...
Message 4 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@juggar wrote:

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

Man, you would have more luck getting blood out of a rock. 

I tried reconing a CLI denial like 8 months ago for mine and I tried most everything. I wasted over an hour of my life so id recommend against it. 

I know it cost a HP and it sucks but it is what it is. Good luck. 

With Citi legacy cards, sometimes it's possible,  However, with private label cards such as Sears, Home Depot, or Best Buy... you might as well cut your losses.  They can and may HP again and more than likely your CLI recon outcome will be the same.  Your call OP.

Message 5 of 11
Klesko
Regular Contributor

So I had a BBYMC which was HSBC orginally. It was stuck at $400 forever until Citi took it over. I asked for a CLI and they bumped me to $750 about a year ago. Then I asked for a CLI today and they bumped me to 11k. Not sure about the recon route but the cli can happen with them. 

Penfed Visa 10k | Penfed PLOC 25k | Citi Hhonors 10k | Total Rewards Visa $25k | Alliant Visa $15k | Barclays Arrival + $13k | Barclays AAdvantage $5k | Barclays Apple $2.2k | CapOne QS WMC $26.5k | CapOne QS $5k | CapOne Plat $5k | Discover 8.5k | Allegacy Visa $6k | DCU Visa $7.5k | Best Buy Visa $11k | Lowes Store Card $30k | Walmart Store Card $10k | Amazon Store Card $25k
Message 6 of 11
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Thanks for all the replies everybody, after being on the phone for almost a half hour its still denied and cost me 2 HP's.  Not real impressed but it is what it is at this point.  Oh well time to give Amazon my business for this purchase I guess.  Thanks again everybody. 

Message 7 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

Thanks for all the replies everybody, after being on the phone for almost a half hour its still denied and cost me 2 HP's.  Not real impressed but it is what it is at this point.  Oh well time to give Amazon my business for this purchase I guess.  Thanks again everybody. 

Ouch!  Well, you did give it a 2nd try and something that Nixon would be proud of Smiley Tongue  Those Citi private label cards are much tougher to get CLI growth if the account is stagnant.  Unless your overall profile is ideal for auto-CLIs then it can take considerable effort via HP.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would definitely bark loud about the 2 hard pulls. One, ok, but two? That's brutal. I'm sorry.

Message 9 of 11
juggar
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would definitely bark loud about the 2 hard pulls. One, ok, but two? That's brutal. I'm sorry.

I guarantee what happened was he called in and the rep heard "CLI" and proceeded to tell him the only way they can do anything about it is run another CLI. 

You can try to explain you want a recon but they will claim its not possible. At least, this what happened to me. I stopped trying after I got mine to $1500. 

Amex Green, Chase Freedom(7.5K), Nationwide Visa Signature(6K), Chase Sapphire Preferred(6k), Cap One VentureOne visa signature (5K) BoA Cash Rewards siggy (5K), BoA travel rewards visa siggy(5K) PayPal Extras Mastercard(5K), Capital One QuickSilver(2.25K) Newegg Preferred Account(2K), Citi Forward(3.4K), Dell Account(2K) Discover IT(2.4K), Chase Slate (1.5K) Citi Diamond Preferred ($800), BestBuy Mastercard ($1500),Bill-Me-Later(1.2K), ,Barclay Mastercard(2K). TigerDirect TigerPay(3.15K), Wal-mart credit card(3.9K), Amazon store card (2K)

equifax - 720, TU - 747, Exp - 734 - report date 11/24/2014
15+ inqs...
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.