Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I reopen my account???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I reopen my account???

Typically, if you close an account, the creditor will have you reapply as opposed to just opening the account back up. It does vary. But, from what I've seen, if a file doesn't show extensive history with account, the creditor isn't going to be willing to just open back up, or any account for that  matter, without a HP.

I attempted to open my Chase Freedom back up, after closing it. And, they suggested I apply again, because unfoturnately since I had not had it long, they would need to review my CR.

Additionally, I understand that your mother is upset that you closed an account that she wanted to take advantage of. However, this is your file. And, a tummy tuck doesn't seem something that would require immediate medical funding. So, you needn't worry about opening up accounts because others are unable to do so themselves. You build a portfolio that's right for you. I'm not implying that your mother is irresonsible, or anything of that nature. But, IMO you should be priority number 1 when it comes to YOUR credit.

Message 11 of 19
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Right now I've hit a wall as far as approvals go because I have so many recent inquiries and new accounts. 30% UTI after I closed the care credit, 100% on time payments, no baddies, 5 of my 8 cards were opened since January, 20+ inquiries on my TU
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd suggest hopping into the garden, with that kind of a growth in your file. Smiley Wink

But... what do I know about the garden? I can hardly keep myself in it. Smiley LOL

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:
Right now I've hit a wall as far as approvals go because I have so many recent inquiries and new accounts. 30% UTI after I closed the care credit, 100% on time payments, no baddies, 5 of my 8 cards were opened since January, 20+ inquiries on my TU

Sorry to say it but you should come join us in the garden. Sounds like now is not the right time for new applications, and since you are very responsible with on time payments, etc. your file will grow and before you know it you'll be out of the garden.

@Anonymous None of us can stay in the garden with Nixon around -_-

Message 14 of 19
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Even tho I knew my UTI would go up I do plan on paying my balances way down and closing some other cards. My reasoning for this is because I actually want to do business with as few banks as possible and id rather have a few good cards that I grow with than several cards I may or not use. So I want to get rid of any unnecessary credit. I know this won't raise my score much, but it will put me at ease as far as my credit file goes. Or is this a bad idea?
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K

Message 15 of 19
sunkissed
Established Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
Even tho I knew my UTI would go up I do plan on paying my balances way down and closing some other cards. My reasoning for this is because I actually want to do business with as few banks as possible and id rather have a few good cards that I grow with than several cards I may or not use. So I want to get rid of any unnecessary credit. I know this won't raise my score much, but it will put me at ease as far as my credit file goes. Or is this a bad idea?

You’ve gotta do what’s right for you!  I don’t mind juggling many accounts, so I may have left the unwanted accounts open until utilization on the “keepers” was lower.  However, if managing multiple accounts is not your thing, closing the unwanted accounts is probably best.  Regardless, once you get your balances down, your score will improve.

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:

Closing a bunch of cards isn't really beneficial but if you need to in order to keep up with your finances better then you should do it. Really it'll just lower your overall CL but if you can manage that then it shouldn't be a problem.

Message 17 of 19
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Guess I'll just tell my mom to wait until September when my profile is a little cleaner 😬

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:
Guess I'll just tell my mom to wait until September when my profile is a little cleaner 😬

You gotta do what's right for you THEN do what's right for her. Sorry Smiley Sad

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.