cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I transfer a balance that's not mine?

tag
shyeviolett

Can I transfer a balance that's not mine?

Hi All, I was just approved for a PNC card with 24 months balance transfers at 2.99% (7.5k limit). Question is, I want to transfer a balance that's in my husbands name only because we need to get his score up and pay this down fast (we'll save a lot of money with 2.99 interest) before we mortgage app next year. 

Can I do this if I'm not even an AU or do they even care? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Re: Can I transfer a balance that's not mine?

Several years ago I did this for a family member. I did a BT from his credit card to mine to aleviate some of his balances at a high APR. I had no problems at all.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 2 of 5
Open123
Super Contributor

If your credit line allows for it and you're willing to be responsible for the debt, I don't see why not.

Message 3 of 5
shyeviolett

Good good. We're paying it off quickly anyway but this will save us some cash and up his credit score a bit while not really affecting mine too much since my total utilization will still be around 25%. Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 5
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

Although PenFed does not specifically say "This is not allowed" they say if you want to transfer a a balance to a card that is not your own, you must call in and discuss it.

Important Disclosures

1.  I am a borrower or co-borrower on the account to be paid.  If you are not a borrower or co-borrower, please call 800-247-5626.           

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.