cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Someone Explain Balance Transfers?

tag
Regular Contributor

Can Someone Explain Balance Transfers?

I was approved BT for my Citi Double Cash Card, 0% interest for 12 months. Does this mean that I need to stop using this card or regular purchases or I would forfeit the 0% interest? The credit card online banking doesn't make it easy to keep track of my BT so it's hard to keep track of anything if I want to continue using this as a daily card.

American Express Blue Cash Every | Discover it | Citi Double Cash | Citi Custom Cash (10/2021) | Bank of America Cash Rewards | Chase Slate | Capital One Quicksilver | Amazon Store Card | PayPal Credit | J. Crew | Old Navy | Experian: 785 Equifax: 798 Transunion: 777 |
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: Can Someone Explain Balance Transfers?

Personally, if I do take advantage of a BT offer, I do not use the card for other purchases. You would not lose the 0% interest on the BT if you used it. However, you may be getting hit with finance charges on new purchases.

Message 2 of 9
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

@Appleman wrote:

Personally, if I do take advantage of a BT offer, I do not use the card for other purchases. You would not lose the 0% interest on the BT if you used it. However, you may be getting hit with finance charges on new purchases.

it just depends on the card meaning if the card has a 0% on BT and on purchases. I had a few cards that had both offers Smiley Happy

But the Double Cash only have a BT offer.

Message 3 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Best never to mix business with pleasure lol. If you use a card for bt , use another card for everyday purchases so as not to complicate your lifeSmiley Wink
Message 4 of 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Mentioned already, I preferred in the couple of times I've done BT's to not use that card. Imo it makes it easier to not lose control of the balance on that card, especially if it is not zero APR on purchases as well.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 9
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

My philosophy is never to use a card for both balance transfers and daily purchases.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I fell for this trap once. Silly me for not reading the fine print. I called and yelled at Citi CSR to get those interest credited back.

You cannot use your citi 2x for regular purchase after a BT. Your no interest "grace period" is GONE after BT. if you make regular purchase,  you will need to pay EVERYTHING (BT plus purchases) in full the same day of your purchase to avoid any interest.

I would suggest you NOT to use citi 2x BT offer unless you have a 0 belance and will not use the card until you pay the entire BT off.

Message 7 of 9
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

You're OK if your card offers 0% on both purchases and balance transfers provided that you've paid everything off comfortably before the end of the 0% period. If it's 0% on balance transfers only, don't use the card for purchases.

Message 8 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I fell for this trap once. Silly me for not reading the fine print. I called and yelled at Citi CSR to get those interest credited back.

You cannot use your citi 2x for regular purchase after a BT. Your no interest "grace period" is GONE after BT. if you make regular purchase,  you will need to pay EVERYTHING (BT plus purchases) in full the same day of your purchase to avoid any interest.

I would suggest you NOT to use citi 2x BT offer unless you have a 0 belance and will not use the card until you pay the entire BT off.

You do lose the grace period on new purchases, so using a card with a BT running does have potential extra costs. 

It is not true that the BT loses its interest rate. If you go back to check those statements you will see the interest calculation section has at least two components,

one with an average balance associated with 0% APR, and $0 interest cost, and

another portion with an average balance related to purchases and your purchase APR, which is often 19% - 25% so looks expensive.  

The way to resolve this is to pay the minimum payment, which will be applied to the lowest APR, then to pay more than the new charges, as that payment will apply to the highest APR and hopefully pay those off.  You can then scrape off the high interest items, leaving most of the BT at 0% APR. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.