cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a cc close a card for non use during the year that you paid the af ?

tag
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Can a cc close a card for non use during the year that you paid the af ?

Can a credit card company close the credit card for non use during the year that the annual fee was paid for?

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Can a cc close a card for non use during the year that you paid the af ?

Can they? Sure

Will they? No, since it's basically free money to them regardless even with no use on the card

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

We've seen U.S. Bank close AF cards during the year - they refund the AF and then close the card. But those were closures for (alleged) fraud (gift card purchases), not closures for non-use. I agree with @simplynoir that, as a practical matter, issuers are extremely unlikely to close AF cards for non-use, as they turn a profit (via the AF) from folks who don't use the card. Unlike the case with $0 AF cards, where there's no profit in maintaining a line of credit for a customer who never uses it.

Message 3 of 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Yeah, if anything depending on the type of card I would see a bank performing a CLD to reduce exposure and give the unused credit line to other customers

Message 4 of 11
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

We've seen U.S. Bank close AF cards during the year - they refund the AF and then close the card. But those were closures for (alleged) fraud (gift card purchases), not closures for non-use.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I would like to ask about this! I keep seeing references to gift card purchases somehow triggering account closures, but I don't have any idea WHY. I'm sure there's more to it than simply using a CC to buy a gift card and then having your account closed, but what is it?!

Never mind. A very kind member PMed me and gave me an excellent explanation, which now makes the whole thing make sense to me!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 5 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Color me confused, what do closures related to a single US Bank card (Altitude Reserve) over potential churning (not all were churning but it was an effective strategy) that happened quite a few years ago have to do with OPs question?  

I'm assuming OP is talking about low AF on rebuilder cards since they are fresh out of BK, in which case it would depend on a lender. Most will allow non use to go on as long as AF/fees are paid, those cards typically do not have rewards or rewards aren't exactly the type to get excited over, so no loss for them.

Message 6 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Color me confused, what do closures related to a single US Bank card (Altitude Reserve) over potential churning (not all were churning but it was an effective strategy) that happened quite a few years ago have to do with OPs question?  

I'm assuming OP is talking about low AF on rebuilder cards since they are fresh out of BK, in which case it would depend on a lender. Most will allow non use to go on as long as AF/fees are paid, those cards typically do not have rewards or rewards aren't exactly the type to get excited over, so no loss for them.

It relates to OPs question because OPs question was an open question regarding a credit company and a card with AF being paid yet still closed and  a reference was given to give an example which in a way answered the OPs question. not everyone will read a signature and infer thats what they were referring to.  Its often asked that we answer what an OP is asking but not to infer or stray as to not get away from whats being asked, i think this is a good example. 

Message 7 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

We've seen U.S. Bank close AF cards during the year - they refund the AF and then close the card. But those were closures for (alleged) fraud (gift card purchases), not closures for non-use.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I would like to ask about this! I keep seeing references to gift card purchases somehow triggering account closures, but I don't have any idea WHY. I'm sure there's more to it than simply using a CC to buy a gift card and then having your account closed, but what is it?!

I won't go into details here but if you purchase large dollar amounts / quantities of gift cards ( which could be considered to be cash equivalents ) you're probably going to raise a few eyebrows with your creditors.   No one will care about occasional purchases, but if you're doing this regularly and for large amounts you're probably going be scrutinized. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 8 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

It relates to OPs question because OPs question was an open question regarding a credit company and a card with AF being paid yet still closed and  a reference was given to give an example which in a way answered the OPs question. not everyone will read a signature and infer thats what they were referring to.  Its often asked that we answer what an OP is asking but not to infer or stray as to not get away from whats being asked, i think this is a good example. 

So, what you're saying people don't read when they read, so every possible case scenario should be discussed with the emphasis on ones not even remotely applicable.

Topic isn't open ended, it's defined in the title of the thread "Non-use" as in SD card. Going off on every possible tangent, including an event that barely lasted couple of months on a single high end AF card has already got one member wondering if US Bank is going to close cards over a gift card purchase. 

Up next, US Bankdread. 

Message 9 of 11
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Thread title was closure in regards to non-use. Example given was closure due to alleged fraud. Not even the same ballpark. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.