Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can former military join nfcu?

tag
Eric958
Established Contributor

Can former military join nfcu?

I did 8 years but did not retire and am not in the reserve, its been 15 years since I was in. If not does anyone know a work around to join????

Thanks, E!

Never Give Up!!
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
goose3500
Contributor

Re: Can former military join nfcu?

I believe so call the 1-800 number I joined just today and I never served, my brother is a member (never served) and i got him to sponsor me. Do you know any family that has a memship in good standing?
Message 2 of 14
jaybird201
Established Contributor

Eligibility Checklist

Navy Federal's field of membership is determined by the National Credit Union Administration. If you are in any of these categories, you are eligible to join:

* All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel—Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force, RETIREES and annuitants
* All Department of Defense Reservists—Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force—regardless of drill status—retirees and annuitants
* All Army and Air National Guard Personnel—regardless of drill status—civilian employees, retirees and annuitants
* All DoD Officer Candidate programs: Midshipmen and cadets at the United States Naval Academy, United States Military Academy, United States Air Force Academy, United States Coast Guard Academy and the United States Merchant Marine Academy; Other Officer Programs
* U.S. Government employees assigned to DoD installations (including Coast Guard)
* All DoD civilian employees
* DoD contractors assigned to U.S. Government installations
* Family Members, including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members
Message 3 of 14
Eric958
Established Contributor

Guess that's a NO!

Never Give Up!!
Message 4 of 14
FicoTron
Established Contributor

does anyone know the real answer to this?  my father was in the navy, but not retired navy...can he join and then I join after?

EX-774 (Amex Fico) 8/12
EQ-725 (Fico) 1/12
TU-729 (Fico) 3/12
Message 5 of 14
Woolfman
Established Contributor

nope you must either be in one of the listed above. Or be retired from one of the branches, Or have an immediate member of your family fall under my previous statements.

I qualified because my dad retired from the army. My wife qualified because her Dad went MIA right before the gulf war started.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - 

You should join USAA also - they are awesome for former military...

I am sure others will back me up on this too.

I have been a member since 1983 and I will NEVER consider another organization at any time.

You can buy all of your insurance through them a well as bank with them. They are BY FAR the best.

You can also join Navy, but I would only use them for credit cards etc....

USAA all the way!

Ray

Message 7 of 14
Woolfman
Established Contributor

Personally I'm not that impressed by Usaa. Insurance wise I can find it elsewhere a lot cheaper. Credit wise . They seem pretty conservative

Message 8 of 14
shiftomnimega
Regular Contributor

@Woolfman wrote:

Personally I'm not that impressed by Usaa. Insurance wise I can find it elsewhere a lot cheaper. Credit wise . They seem pretty conservative

USAA is a great one stop shop that does each one of the facets of their business very well.  Even though they are not the best option in each category the ability for them to provide you with a wide variety of your needs may be beneficial in simplifying your financials.

That said, the next time I get a loan I'm going with NFCU for the lower rates Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
chasmith
Valued Contributor

I belong to both USAA and NFCU via my father's service (USNR Retired).

USAA grants full membership to anyone who is serving or has served, minimum requirement is an honorable discharge - the "anyone who served" provision was put in abut three years ago, before then they were like NFCU, serving, or receivinbg a pension for disability or as a retiree.  Both have broad family member provisions.

Even if you don't use their insurance products USAA is great, I'd say they're a little better for remote banking and ACH transfers.

I used USAA before my BK, joined NFCU after.  NFCU has been far more accommodating for credit than USAA.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.