cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can frontline reps see how much I spent with their bank?

tag
sxa001
Valued Contributor

Re: Can frontline reps see how much I spent with their bank?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For example, I call chase about an issue with my account. Can the frontline reps see how much i have spent across all their cards or something of that nature? I was just curious 

Absolutely, that's probably about the minimum that they can see among many other things.  Is there something in particular that you're curious about them seeing (or not seeing)?

Nothing in particular. It just crossed my mind that maybe some reps will treat me differently if they saw i spent a lot/little on their cards and consequently provide the level of service according to my spend.

I have had reps thank me for my spend or my longevity with accounts and my spend isn't all that high. I have had a couple of favors (late fees reversed on a couple of missed payments over the years where I realized a day late that I didn't pay).  I doubt my spend was the factor but more my good payment history. 

My point is unless your spend is crazy I wouldn't expect too much but yes as other have pointed out they can see a lot in your profile. 

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@digitek wrote:

I've seen a lot of topics on this board over the years, but I would really like to see one that explains exactly what info a CSR can see about an account when we first start a conversation.

By the time I'm talking to someone in person I wonder what their screen says about me.

One I've always wondered was whether they track difficult or negative experiences. I've talked to USAA about 100 times throughout the 20 years or so and I swear I feel like they know I'm pretty chill by now in my profile before we ever say a word.

Would be cool to get the details straight from someone who has been in that position.

I can't speak for a financial institution but I can tell you how the CRM Comcast used worked. 

As soon as a call came in, it popped up the account if there was one attached to that phone number. Immediately visible were any notes attached to the account and notes that were marked permanent would appear at the very top (these would be put in for abusive customers, customers calling multiple times for promos and their ineligibility for one, any additional security screening the customer requested, additional authorized users etc), the customer's name and address and last four of social, their phone password if they opted to use one instead of their social, delinquency status and amount due, also a list of all previous views of the account including a three character code that could be looked up to find out who accessed the account. 

When drilling down into the actual menu systems, we could see a lot more. The only thing that Comcast hid from the front line reps was information about phone service that went beyond billing because of the FCC's regulations for CPNI (customer proprietary network information) and we could only see the last 4 of credit card numbers stored in the billing system. We were able to see any addresses associated with that customer (my account was transferred from my grandparents' house when I moved out and I was always thanked for being a customer since 1984) and we could filter by name to look for customers who owed us money but were avoiding credit checks by not getting any equipment from us. 

We were empowered to do a lot there. The expectation was first call resolution and low rates of escalated calls so we were able to give credits and promos when warranted. About the only thing I ever needed a supervisor for was for some promos that they made manager only so that people wouldn't use them for sales and the 1 out of every ~150 calls I took that I could not de-escalate and had to send to a supervisor. 

With how much information Comcast trusted us with, I'm sure most FIs give their employees access to a lot as well. The more information people have, the better they can do their job without having to escalate and cost the company more money. 

Message 12 of 22
digitek
Established Contributor

Thanks for sharing that Saeren. I laughed at the part about "permanenet account notes" being at the top of what you see because I think that is what I was thinking happens at places like USAA. It is like they already know I am not going to be a pain and are down to chat all nice about everything. I wonder if there is a note in my account or some kind of customer score that shows them I probably won't be difficult. I can just image an account where the note is something like "This dude is an arsehole!"

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@digitek wrote:

Thanks for sharing that Saeren. I laughed at the part about "permanenet account notes" being at the top of what you see because I think that is what I was thinking happens at places like USAA. It is like they already know I am not going to be a pain and are down to chat all nice about everything. I wonder if there is a note in my account or some kind of customer score that shows them I probably won't be difficult. I can just image an account where the note is something like "This dude is an arsehole!"

Of course there's always a Seinfeld episode for everything: this one is Elaine's doctor's office chart.

Message 14 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The only thing that Comcast hid from the front line reps was information about phone service that went beyond billing because of the FCC's regulations for CPNI (customer proprietary network information) and we could only see the last 4 of credit card numbers stored in the billing system. We were able to see any addresses associated with that customer (my account was transferred from my grandparents' house when I moved out and I was always thanked for being a customer since 1984) and we could filter by name to look for customers who owed us money but were avoiding credit checks by not getting any equipment from us. 

Yes, it's strange but with federal laws protecting CPNI and HIPAA (the need for the latter being clearer to most people, but not so relevant for credit card calls in general) these are the things that are going to most hidden.   Assume almost everything else is up for grabs.

Message 15 of 22
fatcomic
Regular Contributor

Apparently Capital One reps can't see your greeting name. 

Under your profile section on Capital One you can change your greeting name, I have updated my greeting name to Skeletor, as to this day, no rep has greeted me as Skeletor.   I am very disappointed in that.  

Skeletor GIFs | Tenor

Message 16 of 22
FalconSteve
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, they can see how much you've spent on the card and other cards you have with them. 

The last time i spoke with a rep (Amex), the rep said I use the card for just about anything and it looks like my everyday card. It wasn't, but I do use it for purchases outside of category spend. He also noticed that i pay in full every time. They have a lot of data at their disposal, although I don't know exactly what they have.

Is this true with every bank? Or does it vary from FI to FI?

1/8/17 Discover $18300 CL- $1k SL- AU, wife
1/26/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $35k CL, wife
2/19/20 BB&T/Truist Rewards $11k SL- impulse application
2/22/20 Citi Double Cash WEMC $2.9k-->$4.4k-->$8.4k-->$13.4k-->$17.4k-->$19.4k-->$22.4k AU, wife
3/8/20 Wells Fargo Propel AmEx/Autograph VISA $2900-->$3200-->$5000-->$8800 CL- AU, wife
3/9/20 Truist Rewards $11k SL- AU, wife- impulse app
3/21/20 REDcard MasterCard (TD Bank) $2500-->$6000-->$6500 CL
11/24/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $10k SL-->36hr-->$20k-->$35k CL
6/10/21 SoFi World Elite MC (TBOM) $7000 SL
1/19/22 AppleCard/GS $6k-->$10k-->$11k AU, wife
8/15/22 Chase freedom flex $10.3k SL-->$12.5k-->$15k AU, wife
7/5/23 Lowes/Synchrony $4k-->$10k-->same day-->$35k CL
8/2/23 Chase freedom flex $19k --> $22.8 CL
8/2/23 Discover $8k SL
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FalconSteve wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, they can see how much you've spent on the card and other cards you have with them. 

The last time i spoke with a rep (Amex), the rep said I use the card for just about anything and it looks like my everyday card. It wasn't, but I do use it for purchases outside of category spend. He also noticed that i pay in full every time. They have a lot of data at their disposal, although I don't know exactly what they have.

Is this true with every bank? Or does it vary from FI to FI?

Its going to vary between institutions of course, but I'll wager that the larger 🏦 will have more sophisticated systems, but not always. 

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@digitek wrote:

I am not a USAA member because I can't convince my dad to join but from what I understand, that's pretty standard with them just like it is with NFCU. Some outfits just specialize in hiring people who are friendly to everyone. 

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The only thing that Comcast hid from the front line reps was information about phone service that went beyond billing because of the FCC's regulations for CPNI (customer proprietary network information) and we could only see the last 4 of credit card numbers stored in the billing system. We were able to see any addresses associated with that customer (my account was transferred from my grandparents' house when I moved out and I was always thanked for being a customer since 1984) and we could filter by name to look for customers who owed us money but were avoiding credit checks by not getting any equipment from us. 

Yes, it's strange but with federal laws protecting CPNI and HIPAA (the need for the latter being clearer to most people, but not so relevant for credit card calls in general) these are the things that are going to most hidden.   Assume almost everything else is up for grabs.

Yes we weren't even allowed to see any numbers a customer called or was called by and for that reason their bills didn't show specific numbers either. Requests for call information had to be escalated to the CDV department and they had to reach out to the customer with a recorded call getting their permission on record to release the information. We had a similar process when we would port a number. We did a three way call with the customer on the line to a third party company and it walked them through authorizing us to port their number. It was a nightmare because the TPV line had a lot of technical issues sometimes and customers would get disconnected and we would have to put them back through and dial through the prompts or get a rep on the line over there to handle the port request manually. I hated dealing with those calls but at $10 a pop for each new CDV line I added, I put up with it 😂 

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.