Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i get Chase card w/ no job?

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Can i get Chase card w/ no job?

Do you already have a job with a deferred start date or are you planning to start looking for a job in 2-3 months?  If it is the latter, I don't agree that you should just apply online and put down your expected income. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 40
coterotie
Established Contributor

You are over thinking this.  Go apply on-line, use the mid-point starting salary and add in for other income your assets.  For employer put Dentist in Private practice.

I recently apped for 3 cards and was approved.  Chase Marriott, Barclays Rewards and Sportsman's VIsa.  None of them asked for employer's address.  FWIW, we have household income of 125K from my wife's salary, we'll be getting an extra 5K/month starting February and I make (report) 50K trading stocks.  So for my employment I just put investments.

@CountingStars wrote:

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

DaBears, I think worker's comp is a valid source of income.

@coterotie wrote:

When I was a banker, I specialized in doing this for doctors and lawyers turning them into customers for life.  I am assuming you have been in contact with a few practices about joining them.  I would put down the midpoint of the salaries you have been offered with a start date of 3 months in the future.  If it sails through you're good to go.  If it goes to review then let them know you have $XX in reserve and will be a customer for a long time. 

That's what I was hoping/thinking of doing, just don't know if it is allowed. I already know my approx. starting salary but I am undecided to which practice I want to work with yet, I won't decide until much later. Therefore, there is no employment address, no valid source of income, etc. I think i will just talk to a banker as this may be a unique situation.

If I do put the midpoint of the salaries with a start date of 3 months in the future, what do i put for employment address? Also, does anyone know at which salary point I put down that requires income verification?

Message 22 of 40
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

You don't need to be too concerned. When I opened a Chase checking account they told me I was prequalified for SP, Slate, and Freedom. I chose the latter. At the time I had been retired for 10 years and did not even have a prior employer listed. I do have income from investments but it is highly variable depending on decisions I make each year. I average the trailing 3 years. They didn't ask for any sort of verification even though my credit history was quite short and thin at 3 years and 2CCs at the time.

I suggest you put a chunk of your savings into a Chase account and see if they don't offer you a deal at the time.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 23 of 40
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I really don't understand this thread.  Too many people seem to be suggesting that because they are unlikely to perform a verification, that you can put down whatever you want.  Sure, you can fudge the numbers and likely still get approved.  That doesn't mean you should do that.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 24 of 40
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I agree with Walt. My original post suggested that OP apps in person or over the phone to explain his/her income. Putting down anything other than savings/investments at this time seems unethical. If OP has a job offer and that was to start in 2-3 mos, then that would be ok IMO
Message 25 of 40
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I go back to my post of "other"
Source of income "investments"
Break that down to what you can pull monthly as income!

It will go through and it's on the up and up
Message 26 of 40
CountingStars

lol darn, hmmh. What to do. I might just call first afterall, don't wanna waste a hardpull.

So for extra info, as a poster asked, I have plenty of job offers but have not accepted any of them. I told them all I wouldn't decide until another 2-3 months-ish. Income will be about the same for any job I accept.

Edit: For Pre-qual, I see Sapphired Preferred and Freedom. I already have a Slate that is 8 years old (only Chase card I have).

Message 27 of 40
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Did I miss the fact you already have a chase card? AND you are pre-qualified... Those offers in my experience are as good as approved and they are going to go off your credit and internal which is going to be much higher since you have an 8 year standing with them!!!
Omg I'm screaming Apply right now...
Message 28 of 40
CountingStars

@Creditaddict wrote:
Did I miss the fact you already have a chase card? AND you are pre-qualified... Those offers in my experience are as good as approved and they are going to go off your credit and internal which is going to be much higher since you have an 8 year standing with them!!!
Omg I'm screaming Apply right now...

lol. I heard somewhere that if I put a certain income that is too low or high, they may not instant approve me as they need verification. Is that true? Anyone know that "amount"?

Message 29 of 40
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

1. Chase does not physically verify personal credit card app income (no need for a chime in of the 1% that it could or has happened before)
2. To low will be under the min. Which is usually like $12k or something... Otherwise no.
3. To much??? Haha
Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.