Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i get an unsecured card

tag
buckeye74
Valued Member

Can i get an unsecured card

with scores of Ex 612, TU 595 and EQ 571.  I have some baddies from 2003-2005 as well.  the big thing is i had a cap one secured, HSBC and Orchard some years ago all of which charged off b/w 2003-2005, so i'd assume i can't get these 3 again.  currently the only cc i have is a target card w/ $500 limit.  just applied for BofA secured- waiting on response, but would like at least 1 unsecured card to build my scores.  i also have a car loan, 2 student loans and a mortgage.  The mtg is new so not yet reporting and the car/student loans have not been late in 1 year.  I think i definitely need more revolving credit to increase my score.  any suggestions?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can i get an unsecured card

buckeye, I'd definitely work on paying of the charge offs. after all, they DO show up on your CR. and that will certainly put a red flag up, and give you a super hickey, on the scores. as they are so old, you might be able to negotiate a PFD(pay for delete), meaning that they MAY delete those baddies, in exchange for paying them in full. There are letters elsewhere in the "General Credit Issues" section of this forum that you can use for examples. true story: 2 days ago, I called a cc company that had a charge off, offered to pay, they agreed immediately to delete the baddie from my CR(credit report). That will HAVE to improve the score. it's worth a try, don't you think?
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sylviatob said,  "I'd definitely work on paying of the charge offs. after all, they DO show up on your CR... as they are so old, you might be able to negotiate a PFD(pay for delete), meaning that they MAY delete those baddies..."

If I were you Buckey74, I would be careful about paying off those chargeoffs. It is worth paying them off ONLY if they actually DO remove them from your credit report (get it in writing, sent registered mail). It is quite difficult to get them to do this, and it is not worth it if they only change the status instead of actually removing it - do NOT accept verbal assurances - this is something you do in writing, not over the phone.

Message 3 of 7
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

If they won't delete, then it won't help your score to pay them off! Another thing, your house is going to really help your score.
Barclays US Air $17K| TTCU $15K| Citi Diamond $10.5K| Discover IT $9000| CapOne $2K| Best Buy $2K
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You said car and stu loan not late in one year. Have you done GW letters to try to ask them to remove the lates?
Message 5 of 7
buckeye74
Valued Member

I did GW my student loan place to see if they would remove the lates.  i got a big, fat, no!  i could try and pay the co's like someone else suggested b/c they are not for much money- i think like $390, $700 and $250, but i don't want to decrease my score by doing so.  However, i do live in Ohio and i think the SOL is something insane like 15 years.  so nobody knows of an unsecured card i can qualify for in my situation?  Thanks for everyones input.
Message 6 of 7
buckeye74
Valued Member

Oh, actually 2 of the 3 Charge offs i settled a few years ago- of course before knowing anything abput PFD.  One was Cap one.  i settled it back in 2003.  Do you think there is any way they'd give me another card?  i was an idiot back then!  i just don't know how else to raise my scores if i can't get any revolving credit.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.