cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can one credit card help the score for 2 people?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can one credit card help the score for 2 people?

We need to apply for a credit card but only want one account but want it to go on both our credit reports? How do we do this? Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can one credit card help the score for 2 people?

You need a card that allows authorized users. Read the previous post that I commented on of yours. If you go the secured route, find out if your bank/credit union does that. If not, CapOne is probably going to be the way to go, as they will give you a card (99% certain they will) and allow and report authorized users.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's my take on this question, my answer is yes or no. It all depends on your credit profile/s, Do you already have a few CC's? Do you have a decent AAoA already?

If you have a decent AAoA already with a few CC's, adding a "New CC" will lower your AAoA, potentially lowering your AAoA to a point 1 year younger which could hurt your score, it may not, YMMV (Fico rounds down AAoA) Not to mention the inquiry, that could lower your score, again YMMV. The inquiry will only affect the applicant not the AU (like stanggt03 said you will need a CCC that allows AU's and also will report to the AU's reports)

It could help your score if you have no revolving credit at all, You may not see dramatic score rise, but you could see a bump, going from no revolving credit (100% util) to having a CC now listed on your reports would bring down your util with its CL, so it could help you, but you have to keep your util <9% to see your best scores. Just in case you don't know util is, your debt to avail revolving credit.

There is so much more info we would need to know about your credit reports to be able to tell you for sure if opening one CC will help you and the other person. Your post is very vague, making it very hard to give you a reasonable answer.

EDIT: re-reading your post and your subject line, two different questions. I gave my 0.02 cents on your subject line question, but to answer the question in your post, you would need to call the CCC that you may want to apply for and ask the CSR if they allow AU's and if they do, do they also report the TL on the AU's reports, thats what I would do before apping for just any card.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

AU usually works if there is already a common address on your credit reports. such as parent/child or wife/husband

Message 4 of 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

We need to apply for a credit card but only want one account but want it to go on both our credit reports? How do we do this? Thanks!

Who's we,   

Joint accounts or Authorized User on single account are your options. .     

Message 5 of 10
shane82388
Established Contributor

Do authrorized users still help the authorized person's credit? I thought a law fixed that loophole?

Message 6 of 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

Do authrorized users still help the authorized person's credit? I thought a law fixed that loophole?

If CC companies reports the authorized user, it is using included in the credit scoring.  

The vast majority of AU are legitimate, so it  is not a loophole.  I have heard that some of the illegimate AU are rooted out by the FICO people and others.  I know of no law that addresses this. 

Message 7 of 10
shane82388
Established Contributor

im pretty sure its been like that for a few years at least now.... (no benefit from being authorized user for your credit)

heres an article...i dont have time to read it in great detail but i skimmed through it and i think it says there was a change and if you are an authorized user it wont help your credit or FICO score....

http://www.credit.com/credit_information/credit_report/Consumer-Alert-FICO-Formula-Changes.jsp

Message 8 of 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

im pretty sure its been like that for a few years at least now.... (no benefit from being authorized user for your credit)

heres an article...i dont have time to read it in great detail but i skimmed through it and i think it says there was a change and if you are an authorized user it wont help your credit or FICO score....

http://www.credit.com/credit_information/credit_report/Consumer-Alert-FICO-Formula-Changes.jsp

Maybe if you read the first paragraph, you would realize, you be wrong.

Message 9 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@shane82388 wrote:

From the article:

Update: In July 2008, FICO announced that they reversed their decision and would continue to count authorized user accounts from their new FICO 08 scoring formula

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.