cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Get Cash+ or Forward... next best dining card?

tag
Necromancer
Regular Contributor

Re: Can't Get Cash+ or Forward... next best dining card?

@slap_happy wrote:

@wiivile wrote:

Do you need to be old to get that? I'm 26. Too old for Forward, too young for AARP. Smiley LOL

the AARP is for any age over 18, I think you need a AARP membership but its only $16

the cash+ has no age restrictions either

+1

Message 11 of 28
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Alternatively, you could call the US Bank branch to see if they're willing to submit the Cash+ application for you or you can contact US Bank to see if they are willing to accept the application over the phone for the Cash+.  However, no guarantee - subject to credit approval and you can still get stuck with the Cash Reward version instead...YEMV.

Message 12 of 28
wiivile
New Contributor

I'll try that, thanks. I really want this Cash+. 5% year-round on my restaurant spending for no Annual Fee + Visa Signature benefits = win. It puts even the CSP to shame, even with the recent limitations Cash+ put on ($2000 quarter spend limit etc)

Chase Freedom Visa: 11/2009, $4,700 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature: 11/2013, $15,000 CL
U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature: 11/2013, $15,700 CL
Message 13 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@wiivile wrote:

I'll try that, thanks. I really want this Cash+. 5% year-round on my restaurant spending for no Annual Fee + Visa Signature benefits = win. It puts even the CSP to shame, even with the recent limitations Cash+ put on ($2000 quarter spend limit etc)

Do you have another Citi card?  There have been reports (one very recently on this forum) of people being able to PC to the Forward.  And the most recent case, even though the student forward is now just 1%, were told that they would get the 5% offer (which is at Citi's discretion).   So, if you have a card you don't need (and Citi has lots of bad cards!) that is a possibility as well.  But, while all cards can be changed, a lot of us consider the Forward "at risk" for current card holders too.  Makes no sense to have 5% whereas higher-level cards have 2% or 3%.

But certainly look at AARP, my current vote for "Most underated on myFico"

Message 14 of 28
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@wiivile wrote:

Do you have another Citi card?  There have been reports (one very recently on this forum) of people being able to PC to the Forward.  And the most recent case, even though the student forward is now just 1%, were told that they would get the 5% offer (which is at Citi's discretion).   So, if you have a card you don't need (and Citi has lots of bad cards!) that is a possibility as well.  But, while all cards can be changed, a lot of us consider the Forward "at risk" for current card holders too.  Makes no sense to have 5% whereas higher-level cards have 2% or 3%.

Is this card new or did someone recently find it and post it?  It does look fairly tasty though being a Cali resident I'm probably better off just wrapping myself around the JCB Makurai.

        
Message 15 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@wiivile wrote:

Is this card new or did someone recently find it and post it?  It does look fairly tasty though being a Cali resident I'm probably better off just wrapping myself around the JCB Makurai.

This version was introduced in May, see http://thepointsguy.com/2013/05/chase-enhances-aarp-card-benefits-worth-it/ for example.  Never got the traction that Duck/Beaver got here!

Message 16 of 28
enharu
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@wiivile wrote:

This version was introduced in May, see http://thepointsguy.com/2013/05/chase-enhances-aarp-card-benefits-worth-it/ for example.  Never got the traction that Duck/Beaver got here!

I knew the AARP cards have very good rewards all along, but just didn't know if I would qualify, and even if I do qualify, I was somewhat hesitant about getting that card only because I had the impression that Chase is clamping down hard on that card.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 17 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

The "bad" card, the 5% on everything, was stopped, that was the one that was shut down in 2012.   This card should be fine, the rewards will be mostly covered by the swipe fees.

The review I linked to is pretty negative compared to point transfer cards, and I guess that is fair, but for those that just want cash back, this seems very good for dining.

Message 18 of 28
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@wiivile wrote:

If I had to guess, the majority of our users fall into the building credit phase rather than at the top tier rewards maximization level.  

The Duck/Beaver cards struck me as FOTM, we've had them in the past, we'll have them again in the future, and admittedly there's a solid use case with them when building a credit portofolio and everyone's path is a little different when it comes to getting out of the small limit sub-division of consumers.  Not sure it's different than DCU or Alliant or NFCU or others though, maybe it was the NFCU-like limits that some users reported.  It's on other forums as well, and admittedly having access to various CU's is nothing but goodness in my estimation at least.

Also a non-trivial portion of the heavy restraunt spenders got the Forward when it was available (still regretting not doing that personally, if I learned anything it was if there's a rewards package that looks too good to be true, go get it while you can), and 3% gas is pretty easy to pickup elsewhere other than the caps those cards have but I comfortably fit into those with my LA commute.  

Finally and this is pure conjecture, a lot of the bling bling users on the forum who receive a lot of attention are travellers, and as such cash-back cards aren't really as valueable compared to the exchange rates one can obtain to various travel partners where 3x is sort of the entry point if doing it well.

        
Message 19 of 28
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@wiivile wrote:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/detail.do?ID=citi-forward-credit-cards-for-col...

Is this the card you're talking about?

Did it get nerfed recently? I don't see a 5% restaurant..

[10%+] Internet, Cable, Cell phone
[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.