cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't add my mobile phone number to my Capital One account?

tag
thatguycx
Valued Member

Can't add my mobile phone number to my Capital One account?

Okay so whenever I try to add my mobile number to my capital one account, either online or on the app, it keeps saying:

"We've hit a snag. There was an error in our system. Please try again later. For help right now, you can call us"

And yes it's my real number, I've had it for years now. And back when I used to use my spark business account, I couldn't add my number on that account either. It kept saying it could not verify my number to send the code. 

So for example, when I try to login from a different browser or computer, I have to use the phone push notification on the app to verify it's me logging in. I can't use my actual number to verify new logins.

What's going on?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Can't add my mobile phone number to my Capital One account?

Have you tried calling CapOne to have them add it on their end? Because it sounds like a glitch on their end that you won't be able to get around yourself

Message 2 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

My guess is that another account has that number (either in error or from the deep past), but contacting Cap One is the only way to try to resolve

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your phone number must be the same as my bank account, since that's how I always "hit a snag" there. Smiley Wink

I assume the number itself is ordinary - from a US area code that lots of people have?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thatguycx wrote:

Okay so whenever I try to add my mobile number to my capital one account, either online or on the app, it keeps saying:

"We've hit a snag. There was an error in our system. Please try again later. For help right now, you can call us"

And yes it's my real number, I've had it for years now. And back when I used to use my spark business account, I couldn't add my number on that account either. It kept saying it could not verify my number to send the code. 

Just curious, who is your carrier?  I've seen issues with Chase not being able to send a text to a Google Voice (and likely Google Fi) number several months ago.

If you have a line with AT&T, Verizon, TMobile or Sprint, I'd think that it should work.

Another idea could be that they don't support an overlay area code yet, should that be your first 3 digits.

Message 5 of 7
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

I ran into this issue earlier looking trying to do a transfer from my Capital One Checking account this morning. Have you tried to update other fields? It might just be a technical issue unrelated to the phone number. 

Message 6 of 7
Rudy1
Established Contributor

Capital One does this with almost every phone number for some reason if you call them they will add your number to the account sometimes the website is just annoying.

>
Goal Cards:
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.